Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kicked off a watch forum!

I have been collecting Gruen Curvex wrist watches from the 30,40 for over thirty years.
When the Grankids sell off my collection they could probably purchase a dozen Rolex Presidentials however I raised them better.They will probably go buy a few Franck Muller Master Bankers.... Now that's a Watch!

Best regards

Countryclubjoe

They sound like Corvette guys. In high school, I drove a Corvette, bought at a bargain, but it was a Corvette. When you're 17, driving an '80 'Vette in that Stingray bodystyle makes you feel pretty good. I remember being at work at K-Mart one time and they Corvette guys always met a couple times a year in the parking lot and they'd come in and buy a few things, always decked out in their Corvette gear.

One time, I was making conversation with the guys as I was assisting them and mentioned that I had the gray one parked at the top of the lot. They all said things along the lines of "oh, an 80? Well, that's fine if you like THOSE kind of Corvettes." Still bothers me now.

I told you this story to tell you this, people with fancy toys are no better than anybody else. They just have enough money to buy that item, and choose to buy that item. Anybody can do it, really.

I never got the point of putting down somebody else who's interests are similar to yours. I love when people post pics of their clothes, or items, or whatever, here on the Lounge, because it pertains to my interests and it's fun to see other people enjoying something similar. If you're in the same hobby, you should try to be supportive of people in the hobby. If you chase everyone away by being too flashy, or by being to rude, or some-such, the hobby will eventually die off, because no new blood is going to have any interest.

Unfortunately there are people who believe that the worth of a person can be tied to how many shiny things they own or how much money they make. They are sad people. There is nothing wrong with being happy, proud, or enjoying your shiny thing, it's believing that it makes you better than someone else that is the mistake.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
many of the pic`s were young spoiled kids with their arms hanging out of their Porsches,BMWs,etc,sporting 9,000.00 Rolex watches

I thought the watches and status relationship was over since Chinese replicas appeared :eusa_doh: You can get one of those Submariners for 60 bucks again :D

Putting one's self-confidence on an object is quite stupid, isn't it? More if this particular object can be copied in China for cheap. They should stick to Porches, jets or private islands.

The only time pride comes in ( its usually object lust for me) is when I make something, or restore something. Otherwise, I do love things, but not at the expense of people. Arrogant [fill in the blank ] owners suck. When they put others down, even more so. Watch collectors are pretty snobby at times. They're more a well-off guy's territory. Unless you collect older, used and less expensive pieces. Cars and motorcycles attract some of the best and worst guys in the world. But maybe most hobbies are like that. Just gotta find the cool folks and ignore the rest.

The only time pride comes in ( its usually object lust for me) is when I make something, or restore something. Otherwise, I do love things, but not at the expense of people. Arrogant [fill in the blank ] owners suck. When they put others down, even more so. Watch collectors are pretty snobby at times. They're more a well-off guy's territory. Unless you collect older, used and less expensive pieces. Cars and motorcycles attract some of the best and worst guys in the world. But maybe most hobbies are like that. Just gotta find the cool folks and ignore the rest.

The snobby show up in all facets of like. Whether it is the liking of watches, clothing, music, cars, food, where one lives, whatever. If it can be liked, the snobs will show up to somehow for some reason demean others and it's all because they are insecure. Instead of enjoying the company and conversations of others with similar interests they muck it up. So, as you said, gotta ignore them and enjoy the cool folks.
:D

Rathdown

Practically Family
Unfortunately there are people who believe that the worth of a person can be tied to how many shiny things they own or how much money they make. They are sad people. There is nothing wrong with being happy, proud, or enjoying your shiny thing, it's believing that it makes you better than someone else that is the mistake.
Just remember that the gate swings both ways and "unfortunately there are people who believe that the worth of a person can be tied to how few possessions they own, or how little money they have. They too are sad people. There is nothing wrong with being happy, proud, or enjoying the few possessions one may have; it's believing that as a result one is somehow a better person because of a lack of possessions, as opposed to someone more fortunate, that is the mistake". Jerks are jerks regardless of socio-economic status.

Well, there's two facets. Jerks, and those with no self-worth. Sometimes a combo I suppose. You can tell the latter because they're more sad. That's a societal issue really, and probably more common here in the US.

Rathdown

Practically Family
SNOB: (originally) a person of the lower classes who takes on the mannerisms of the upper-classes and flaunts them. (later) a person of upper class background who takes on the mannerisms of the lower-classes and flaunts them. (current usage) a term of derision used against others to reinforce one's perception of their class background and status (see also inverse snobbery).

I'm not sure if I'd call it snobbery but in any hobby or fanbase you'll always find the dyed-in-wool, "old school" purists. In AtomicEraTom's example they would be the ones who believe that only 1953-67 Corvettes are "real" Corvettes and that everything else since then are just pale imitations.

Rathdown

Practically Family
Well, there's two facets. Jerks, and those with no self-worth. Sometimes a combo I suppose. You can tell the latter because they're more sad. That's a societal issue really, and probably more common here in the US.
Naw. It's universal, and it usually boils down to two things: a lack of self-esteem and a dishonesty regarding one's social origins; as many working class kids seem to join the Monarchist League as there are rich kids embracing counter-cultural ideals. Some are very honest about their antecedents, but most find them an embarrassment and lie about them. I think it's that fear of discovery that turns otherwise pleasant people into jerks.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
""unfortunately there are people who believe that the worth of a person can be tied to how few possessions they own, or how little money they have. "

Yes, I have read about such people, folks such as Giovanni Francesco di Bernardone. How simply awful!

Remember that old definition fo a gentleman, as one who never unconsiously makes another uncomfortable. I fear that I fail quite utterly at that test, being so enthusiastic about my hobby horses that I ride them to excess. I suspect that others who post here do not fail that old test.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure if I'd call it snobbery but in any hobby or fanbase you'll always find the dyed-in-wool, "old school" purists. In AtomicEraTom's example they would be the ones who believe that only 1953-67 Corvettes are "real" Corvettes and that everything else since then are just pale imitations.

Heck, I don't think that a car is a real "Antique" or "Collectable" if it has a self-starter! Does that make me a snob? No, it just makes me odd.
I believe that the folks who were looking down their noses at Tom possessed NEWER machines, not the 53-67 so-called "classic" 'Vettes.

It's very true that there's people like this. You know, I just don't get it. I'm an old car guy, myself, certainly old-school and prefer traditional styles. Now, I have friends who prefer a custom car with all the modern conveniences and while it may not be my taste, and some would say they should just buy a new car and get it over with, I can still appreciate the work that goes into it. I don't know why other people feel they have to put others down because their similar interest category isn't the exact same little niche.

They were guys with new 'Vettes. That's fine and good, they cost a lot of money and if that's how you want to spent it, because that's what you like, wonderful. More power to you. Some would argue that a classic is better because it has character, and you can't just go to the lot and buy one to order. There will always be differing opinions.

Heck, I don't think that a car is a real "Antique" or "Collectable" if it has a self-starter! Does that make me a snob? No, it just makes me odd.
I believe that the folks who were looking down their noses at Tom possessed NEWER machines, not the 53-67 so-called "classic" 'Vettes.

You're right, and it's silly. I love toys, I have lots of them. However, it's important to do what makes YOU happy in a hobby. My old station wagons, Caddy, and Dodge pick-up are sure not going to impress, say, 99% of the population, but that's not why I have them. Same with my old rotary phones, radios, and other vintage items. Outside the Lounge, most people have little to no interest. Why spend money and time keeping up with what makes others happy when you can build a life for yourself that is what you want. Isn't that who your life is for, yourself?

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
I dont see why people can't respect others differences. Hell it would be a boring ol' world if everyone liked that same things and had the same opinions!

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Electronic media makes people hateful because the body language and inflections that set the tone of conversations are missing. It is too easy for a joke to be taken as a factual assertation, or the other way around. There are also way too many people that are looking for ways to distort comments.

Collectors of any type have their own intrests and it sometime is best to let them play in their party and we can stay in ours (I know I am new, dont read any deeper things into that comment).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy