Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" KING-O FCC - The Hunter" - Thedi Leathers

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The blog "French Cancan" is one of my favourites for european and american workwear. So I was thrilled to find out he will do a collaboration with Thedi Leathers to produce a 1930s hunting jacket. It features some hunting features like the game bag and some that remind more of a civilian version of the A1. I am not a leather jacket expert so see for yourself.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

There are also some pictures from the jackets that served as inspiration.
inspiration.jpg

Most information can be found on the FCC blog but I think it will be up on the Thedi Leathers page soon...

What do you think, guys?

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Quite interesting - once it gets some patina it will add to the look.
But one needs to have use for the many pockets and extra straps...

Last edited:
It's interesting...I think overdesigned though.
Not sure what the rear pockets would be for. I'd love to see a fit pic to see if it might be longer than the usual suspects.
I think a Sportsman's length of 26-27" would be great on some of these jackets.

Last edited:

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
Rear pockets are game pockets, usually opening on large space in back.

The button thing on the shoulder, not sure what that's for.

Looks a functional, wearable jacket,

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My goodness, I like this jacket very much, though my first impression was that it was a feminine cut.

Edit to add: It's the collar/lapel, I think.

I suppose the shoulder flap is to keep your satchel from falling off...
I saw something similar on Project Runway last season to protect your messenger bag in the city.
Knowing that he recently sold his Himel Heron, I can't get past the "similarities".
I still want to see how it fits.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's interesting...I think overdesignend though.
Not sure what the rear pockets would be for. I'd love to see a fit pic to see if it might be longer than the usual suspects.
I think a Sportsman's length of 26-27" would be great on some of these jackets.

I have those rear pockets on those my Mackinaw, and for the life of me I cannot tell you what they're good for.

Dinerman, was access to those pockets from the front or back of the jacket?
Did someone else have to load the pheasant?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The back, just like in the jacket above. If you can reach your wallet in your back pocket, you can load a game pocket. No great challenge.

Flat Foot Floey

Thanks for joining the threads together, mods. I looked earlier in the morning but apparently it was posted just after that. :eusa_doh:

The pockets on the rear are called "Game pockets" and have something to do with hunting. I guess if you shoot a small animal you can store it in the back pocket of your jacket and have it out of the way in the front? Weren't Norfolk straps designed ina similar vain?
I am a vegetarian (though obviously not vegan) and don't know nuffin about hunting. [huh]

IMO it is a mistake to compare it to an aviation or motorcycle jackets. The details are hunting specific not exactly the wild imagination of a "designer"

Edit: Again I posted something one hour after I wrote it since I was interrupted... and then Dinerman explained it all. :eusa_clap

Last edited:
Sorry for being so opinionated on this one, but the basic overall silhouette is a Heron with pockets and straps added. So I find it hard to put it in a unique category unless the fit is very different. Just me....;-)

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
FFF said:
The details are hunting specific not exactly the wild imagination of a "designer"

I have to wonder though to what extent this rather snug jacket and the hunting-specific details can be used for the original purpose. The details look "decorative" to me - I figure that for "game bags", a jacket has to be rather roomy or the contents would be squashed. [huh] But then again - my hunting knowledge is limited mostly to hunting vintage clothes. :p
Of course one could use the bags for other purposes...

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Fair enough. I guess I just trust Mr FCC on this account since he collects the stuff for years now. Here is a cotton hunting jacket ina blog post from 2010.
http://fcancan.blogspot.de/2010/09/30s-french-style-work-hunting.html

Similar jackets can be found in the book "Vintage Menswear- a collection from the vintage showroom" some of them in the same "coutil" corduroy fabric and some in duck.
Like I said, very typical and not odd at all....but I see how flight jacket collectors just compare them with their own field. I can't tell of the fit of it though... let's wait for the next FCC post about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy