Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

" KING-O FCC - The Hunter" - Thedi Leathers

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lenght is great for a 30s style. I think the jeans he is wearing still are OK with it. Of course it won't work with modern skinny nonsense. No matter if they are selvedge or not.

Don't blame the jacket if you are wearing the wrong pants.

cafeblitz

New in Town
Now that's a good looking jacket Dinerman. I love the workwear and hunting wear you have been posting recently. Thank you!

The jacket the Op posted is pretty cool as well. I like the length as I like to retain the ability easily access my pants pockets when wearing a jacket. As to the game pouch, I have used them plenty of times and they work great for holding small foul when hunting or a map when hiking. They are surprisingly easy to access. One reason for the chest pocket asymmetry may be to leave the right shoulder open for use with a rifle or shotgun. Many hunting or shooting shirts have that feature, though they tend to also have a padded shoulder (which I think would be a nice addition here and help balance out the design).

I suppose you could always use the fly rod loop to clip a radio, phone or knife to. I would probably use it for an inverted multi-tool attachment point.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
http://fcancan.blogspot.de/2013/10/i-had-dream-part2.html

5.jpg

Sorry but that looks appalling to me. Even worse that I imagined.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I dig the jacket, but it is a little too busy. That side pocket/flap is too much. I like the color for the style they are going for as well. This may be silly, but am I the only one who thinks the hat that goes with it is silly? Needs a real adventurer's hat like an Indiana Jones-esque fedora or even a simple telescoping crown cowboy hat.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It's interesting to read back the comments on the original Thedi Mr FCC Hunting jacket. It had "too many pockets" it was "overdesigned" "too fuzzy" "feminine" "a Heron with added pockets and straps " and this one made me chuckle @Seb Lucas called it "a series of pockets in search of a jacket."

I decided to reach out to the designer of the jacket Mr French Cancan, Artist and collector of vintage clothing, and I asked him about the story behind the jacket.

https://instagram.com/misterfrenchcancan?igshid=tbea3qn3xytv

https://instagram.com/artbauville?igshid=1j6wv4xlvat7

I asked Mr French Cancan whether he could tell me some more about 'The Hunter'. As a collector of vintage clothing, he had owned quite a few Midwestern hunting/fishing jackets over the years. They all featured front pockets and some had a 'game pocket' on the back.

9A44D771-7920-4BDB-AFCB-E686FAD4CCDF.jpeg

Mr French Cancan thought it would be fun to design and produce a contemporary interpretation of the jacket. He therefore reached out to Theodoros who really liked the idea of a hunting jacket. However, back in 2013 Theodoros refused to make one out of fabric. Thedi was in the business of making leather jackets so it had to be made out of leather. They eventually made the jacket out of UK domestic lambskin.

Years later when Theodoros introduced his fabric/leather jacket styles he also made a military canvas/ buffalo leather version of 'The Hunter'.

AB5E0497-347C-47A4-9826-47A27D18C38C.jpeg
268D22D3-A4C0-49CD-B4EE-646CC2953AFC.jpeg

For those who haven't handled a Thedi canvas jacket yet, the canvas is stiffer and sturdier than most leathers I've handled. I guess there's a reason it was used by the military for their tents. The other day I had to take the jacket to my tailor to have one of the buttons reinforced. When I picked it up my tailor asked me about the fabric. He had a hard time getting a needle through. I guess that says a lot about the quality of this fabric.

It's basically an A1 design with an extra frontpocket and of course the added game pocket. The jacket is unlined except for the back panel which also serves as a game pocket. The game pocket has two flaps which are button as well as snap closed.

0F48D027-B213-4D72-9C37-9C4320495A70.jpeg

C22BF34E-437F-4F12-98D4-F523B177BC81.jpeg

Some people mentioned the leather hunter jacket was too short. This one is pretty short too with a 23.5' back length. I guess that's why I love how it fits, since I prefer my jacket's to be short and tight fitting

410E1A73-8CEB-44A6-8B6F-9287A83BB849.jpeg

edit: typos

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
It's interesting to read back the comments on the original Thedi Mr FCC Hunting jacket. It had "too many pockets" it was "overdesigned" "too fuzzy" "feminine" "a Heron with added pockets and straps " and this one made me chuckle @Seb Lucas called it "a series of pockets in search of a jacket."

I decided to reach out to the designer of the jacket Mr French Cancan, Artist and collector of vintage clothing, and I asked him about the story behind the jacket.

https://instagram.com/misterfrenchcancan?igshid=tbea3qn3xytv

https://instagram.com/artbauville?igshid=1j6wv4xlvat7

I asked Mr French Cancan whether he could tell me some more about 'The Hunter'. As a collector of vintage clothing, he had owned quite a few Midwestern hunting/fishing jackets over the years. They all featured front pockets and some had a 'game pocket' on the back.

View attachment 309608

Mr French Cancan thought it would be fun to design and produce a contemporary interpretation of the jacket. He therefore reached out to Theodoros which really liked the idea of a hunting jacket. However, back in 2013 Theodoros refused to make one out of fabric. Thedi was in the business of making leather jackets so it had to be made out of leather. They eventually made the jacket out of UK domestic lambskin.

Years later when Theodoros introduced his fabric/leather jacket styles he also made a military canvas/ buffalo leather version of 'The Hunter'.

View attachment 309612 View attachment 309611

For those who haven't handled a Thedi canvas jacket yet, the canvas is stiffer and sturdier than most leathers I've handled. I guess there's a reason it was used by the military for their tents. The other day I had to take the jacket to my tailor to have one of the buttons reinforced. When I picked it up my tailor asked me about the fabric. He had a hard time getting a needle through. I guess that says a lot about the quality of this fabric.

It's basically an A1 design with an extra frontpocket and of course the added game pocket. The jacket is unlined except for the back panel which also serves as a game pocket. The game pocket has two flaps which are button and snap closed.

View attachment 309607
View attachment 309609

Some people mentioned the leather hunter jacket was too short. This one is short too with a 23.5' back length. I guess that's why I love how it fits, I prefer my jacket's to be short and tight.

View attachment 309610

Thanks for sharing that story, Marc. I most enjoyed reading through that. Plus: It’s a really nice jacket, and your wear it well! I have to agree though, as a pure leather version, I find it strangely overdone. Amazing, what a change of fabric can do.

Fun to read through an 8 year old thread...
The jacket looks great on you, and I think the canvas is much more suited than the leather version. I made my comments before owning a Thedi jacket. Once I put one on, I realized that apart from the cossack stylings, Thedi’s jackets are different from Himel’s. I have become a fan of Theo’s work since this thread was first posted, but I still think he wears his jackets too small.

Last edited:

Cornelius

Practically Family
I've worn Filson Mackinaws & Tin Cruisers for years, both featuring that back game pocket. Amusing to read the confused comments from 2013, as I find the back pocket enormously useful - perfect for stashing your knit cap, scarf, and/or gloves when entering a store, restaurant, tavern, etc.; carrying a book or magazine on a train commute, and so on. Plus on the Filson pattern the game pocket design results in a full double layer across the entire back - better for warmth and rain protection. Actually difficult to imagine wear a cold weather coat without that pocket now.

That said, on a jacket this closely fitted I am not sure how much utility the game pocket may have - maybe you could still stuff a hat in there if the front's unbuttoned? Filson coats are notoriously oversized; I normally wear a 40L suitcoat and size down to a 38L for the Mackinaw. Not "baggy" then, but still plenty of room to stuff the pockets even while wearing a heavy sweater.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That said, on a jacket this closely fitted I am not sure how much utility the game pocket may have - maybe you could still stuff a hat in there if the front's unbuttoned?
I don't think the game pocket on this jacket is functional. Like you mentioned the jacket is too closely fitted. Also, the leather/canvas is so stiff that I'm having a hard time fastening the front buttons. I'm sure that will get easier over time but the same holds for the game pocket. I'm having a hard time unbuttoning it even when it's laying flat on the table and I can use both hands to do so.

Cornelius

Practically Family
The Filson Mackinaws fasten at the front with buttons, but all the pockets are closed with snaps/press-studs, which definitely makes the back one easier to use. I imagine closing a button through tent-canvas behind my back would require some contortionist skill.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner