Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kissing, with or without the hat?

qwerty

Familiar Face
What was the hat etiquette on this subject back in the days when hats were common?
If you kiss a girl (woman) on the street do you take your hat off first?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Rules:

If you pass a lady on the street, tip the hat (touch the brim).

If you stop to speak with a lady you know, remove the hat.

One assumes that one would be kissing a woman one knows, therefore the hat is off before said bussing ensues.

Also see: Rhett Butler before kissing Scarlett up good right before abandoning her, a horse and wagon, Miss Melly, Miss Melly's new baby, and Prissy by the road. First thing to go: The hat.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Even an egotistcal truck driver

Burt Reynolds/Bandit Darble tells Sally Field/Frog that he “only takes his hat off for one thing.” Smokey and the Bandit 1977

SmokyBandit11.jpeg

Martini Slayer

New in Town
Female input here.. :)

I think it is sooo sexy, if a guy takes his hat off and puts it on me before moving in for the kill.. *swoon*

***Provided I'm not wearing curlers... Heheheee ;)

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
From my POV, I like kissing a gentleman (and only gentlemen, of course!) when he has his hat on, because he looks so... charming. However, if said man has hair that just screams to have you run your fingers through it (and guys know if they have that kind of hair), he should take it off, so she (I) can do the proper finger-running.

Right? [huh]

OH. Looking at that picture up there reminds me --if you do take your hat off, set it down. Don't hold it. Your hands should be full of.... your lady, not your cover.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
IlsaLund said:
OH. Looking at that picture up there reminds me --if you do take your hat off, set it down. Don't hold it. Your hands should be full of.... your lady, not your cover.

I couldn't agree more!

The focus of attention here is not the hat, nor the 'rules', but the lady.

If there's somewhere to put my hat, I'll take it off. If there's not, it stays on. If it comes off mid-kiss, I'll worry about it afterwards since the lady I'm kissing is obviously far more interesting; under those circumstances, the state of my headgear becomes a secondary concern.

And if kissing a lady whose preferences are known, I personally will say 'damn the rules' and comply with her wishes.*

* Unless those wishes include stuff like setting my hat on fire or something, which is just plain wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW