Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kit Karson Jackets

jeo

One Too Many
IMG-3645.jpg
IMG-3646.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what an amazing jacket. I love those stars on the kidney panel.

Looks like a perfect fit.

What's wrong with the inner collar, has the stitching come undone?

Reactions: jeo

jeo

One Too Many
Wow, what an amazing jacket. I love those stars on the kidney panel.

Looks like a perfect fit.

What's wrong with the inner collar, has the stitching come undone?
Yes. There are a lot of other issues with the jacket. The moment I put it on and made the slightest movement, both seams at the top of the shoulders ripped a little. This isn’t a daily wearer but the leather is in good shape though so I will ultimately get all the issues taken care of.

Smithprocess

New in Town
Hey all, wanted to share my Kit Karson. This jacket was my great grandfather’s. My whole life it has hung on the back of my dad’s closet door and recently my dad decided to give it to me. It was in ROUGH shape with most of the threads rotting, the liner tearing out and many seams pulling apart. It was covered in dust and mold spots and the leather was incredibly dry.
I took it to a tailor in berkeley who knows these jackets well and he repaired a ton on it. We decided rather than completely restoring the jacket to leave the little quirks that make it what it is to me… the brass main zipper that was replaced years ago, and the collar flap with the re-installed upside-down snap (ha!).

“After shots” below are after 4 coats of lexol. Will probably do another 4 over the next few weeks before starting to wear the jacket.

I’m looking forward to years more use with this as it was intended, riding and fixing motorcycles from the same era as the jacket itself.

@smithprocess on ig

IMG_1734.jpeg
IMG_1740.jpeg

IMG_3359.jpeg

IMG_3361.jpeg

IMG_3250.jpeg

IMG_3360.jpeg

IMG_3362.jpeg

IMG_3364.jpeg

IMG_3358.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1738.jpeg
    IMG_1738.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey all, wanted to share my Kit Karson. This jacket was my great grandfather’s. My whole life it has hung on the back of my dad’s closet door and recently my dad decided to give it to me. It was in ROUGH shape with most of the threads rotting, the liner tearing out and many seams pulling apart. It was covered in dust and mold spots and the leather was incredibly dry.
I took it to a tailor in berkeley who knows these jackets well and he repaired a ton on it. We decided rather than completely restoring the jacket to leave the little quirks that make it what it is to me… the brass main zipper that was replaced years ago, and the collar flap with the re-installed upside-down snap (ha!).

“After shots” below are after 4 coats of lexol. Will probably do another 4 over the next few weeks before starting to wear the jacket.

I’m looking forward to years more use with this as it was intended, riding and fixing motorcycles from the same era as the jacket itself.

@smithprocess on ig

View attachment 605162 View attachment 605164
View attachment 605174
View attachment 605176

View attachment 605167
View attachment 605175
View attachment 605177
View attachment 605178
View attachment 605173

Might be my favorite proportions yet on a “Perfecto-type” jacket.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

@smithprocess on ig

View attachment 605174
View attachment 605176

View attachment 605167
View attachment 605175
View attachment 605177
View attachment 605178
View attachment 605173

The jacket will definitely go well with your bikes! The leather taylor in Berkeley - is this the Hungarian guy? I forgot the name, but there is a pretty famous leather repair shop there.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The jacket will definitely go well with your bikes! The leather taylor in Berkeley - is this the Hungarian guy? I forgot the name, but there is a pretty famous leather repair shop there.

Zoltan Hajnal of Advanced European Tailoring is the guy you're thinking of.

I meant to visit his shop when I was in Berkeley but didn't get the chance. He sources and repairs tons of vintage to send to the Japanese market and you can buy it direct.

@smithprocess on ig

View attachment 605174
View attachment 605176

View attachment 605167
View attachment 605175
View attachment 605177
View attachment 605178
View attachment 605173

Welcome. Great first post. Great jacket. My favorite Kit Label. Great workshop.

KBlake

One Too Many

@smithprocess on ig

View attachment 605174
View attachment 605176

View attachment 605167
View attachment 605175
View attachment 605177
View attachment 605178
View attachment 605173
That fits you beautifully. The sentimental value really makes this the perfect jacket. Enjoy it!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Nice place. Hitting the beaches in the area? I just got back from South Padre, TX. I miss the ocean.
Not in this area. We're now traveling to Valladolid to do some sightseeing. After that we'll head to Playa del Carmen where they have plenty of beaches so I've been told :).

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Let me get this straight: the guy is in Mexico on vacation, hitting sightseeing sites, bars, and beaches, all the while identifying vintage jackets on old American movies, in a bar, no less. That's dedication.

Not in this area. We're now traveling to Valladolid to do some sightseeing. After that we'll head to Playa del Carmen where they have plenty of beaches so I've been told :).

Cool. I’ve been all over that area. Some play but mostly work. That area was hot around 5 or so years ago. Playa del Carmen is nice. Enjoy the vacation.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Let me get this straight: the guy is in Mexico on vacation, hitting sightseeing sites, bars, and beaches, all the while identifying vintage jackets on old American movies, in a bar, no less. That's dedication.
I can't help it, the jackets seem to be following me lol. I even bought one the other day. Online though, not locally. The Mexicans don't do leather jackets, too warm I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider