Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolf Outerwear Company, The Guide Master | Research, Finds, Discuss | + Julesons, Fidelity, Edgo, Kit Karson and other made by Wolf

Yevhen

New in Town
I want to collect all available information in one place.
Please correct me if I made a mistake and join the discussion and show you’re jackets
Let's start with the information we learned in this Thread main information was provided by the descendants of the founder of the company.
The company was founded in the 40s by Simon Wolf in Boston, Massachusetts
IMG_8985.jpeg

SIMON WOLF
Simon's nephew, Harry, was a junior partner. Other family members also worked in the company.
Simon ran the company until he retired in '60 or '61.
Then Harry ran the company for several years, and later sold it to Bert Paley
in February 1963
IMG_8844.jpeg

Also known that Bert did not own the company for a long time.
There was information that "the company made bombers for the army" this could be a contract with the army, or just civilian flight jackets.

Last edited:

jeo

One Too Many
They made their jackets for other brands/labels/stores as well. Here’s one with a Cavalier of Boston label.

IMG_3749.jpeg
IMG_3752.jpeg
IMG_3750.jpeg

Edgo is another label you often see.

IMG_3961.jpeg
IMG_3962.jpeg
IMG_3960.jpeg
IMG_3963.jpeg

Btw a way to tell apart an Edgo from a Guide Master that have no labels is that the Edgo has French seams on back of arm and one side panel

Attachments

• IMG_3959.jpeg
    IMG_3959.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 37

Yevhen

New in Town
As said above, Wolf made jackets for other brands/stores, but they often have snap-close belt, and sometimes the difference in pocket construction
IMG_8974.jpeg
IMG_8984.jpeg
IMG_8919.jpeg

Last edited:
They made their jackets for other brands/labels/stores as well. Here’s one with a Cavalier of Boston label.

View attachment 576914 View attachment 576917 View attachment 576916

Edgo is another label you often see.

View attachment 576909 View attachment 576913 View attachment 576910 View attachment 576912

Btw a way to tell apart an Edgo from a Guide Master that have no labels is that the Edgo has French seams on back of arm and one side panel

I do recall the two Kits I have owned and handled had the French seams too. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I always thought that Fidelity was a maker themselves. I have their cafe racer with the baggy sleeves and everything. What am I missing here?

Nothing at all Nacho. Fidelity was a maker. Some later Wolfs also had the snap belt. As did the other Boston makers.

Nacho

Practically Family
Nothing at all Nacho. Fidelity was a maker. Some later Wolfs also had the snap belt. As did the other Boston makers.

Thanks for the comment, J.

So if I understand it correctly, Fidelity made jackets and they did contract out to Wolfs (under Fidelity label) due to perhaps high demand at some points.

And if my understanding is correct, who do you think made this one? Fidelity or Wolfs?

It's similar to the one above and your Fidelity, J, except for the label and the coin pocket being muted on this one.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

Fidelity and Wolf are separate makers. Another way to tell them apart is where the belt is attached to the jacket- back v side panel.

Wolf made jackets for other labels- a couple have been identified earlier in the thread. I’d bet Fidelity also did but that rabbit hole hasn’t been jumped in.

Reactions: jeo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner