Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KNAPP-FELT

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have made too many mistakes to count. By those errors I have learned a bit more about my own taste and I don't know exactly what it is I see but when I do see "it" I know. I still make big judgement errors.
Ideaguy, You will be pleased to know that I am Continually grumpy,short tempered,and generally anti social but polite. I have few friends and I trust no one.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Nice!

That hat looks SO comfortable. It's also in amazingly good shape. Your gut feeling & astute observation paid off Douglas!

Thanks Marc for posting those cool old postcards. Perhaps the male and female statues contributed to the risque reputation of that area? I never saw them before.

DOUGLAS

Here are some better more cheery photos of the hat which by the way Ledsled is VERY comfortable.
DSCN4166.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN4160.jpg
[/IMG]
Which looks better with the dents
DSCN4146.jpg
[/IMG]
or without.
DSCN4175.jpg
[/IMG]

DOUGLAS

This suit is an old Brooks Brothers. It was my fathers. I think it can't be older than the late 50s or yearly 60s. I was hoping the hat would match but it is a shade off.

DOUGLAS

By the way BK, Have I missed your collection or have you not posted it yet? I can't wait to wrap my eyes around your hats,

Arctichighlandr

New in Town
Short History of Crofut & Knapp

Thought you might be interested in a little history of this company per 'Hat Talk.'

"James Knapp first established himself in Danbury Connecticut, then moved to Norwalk. He had two partners, Andrew Crofut, an expert felt-stiffener, and Henry Gillam, an expert brim-curler. Together they built a large manufacturing company called Crofut & Knapp. It was through this company that a now more recognizable name surfaced, John Cavanaugh (famous for his Cavanaugh edge). Initially foreman for C. & K., he became general manager, and then president."

From what I gather it sounds like Cavanaugh merged C&K with Dobbs in 1928 and it became Cavanaugh-Dobbs. Which was bought by Hat Corporation of America in 1932 with Cavanaugh being made president.

A little history adds a lot to the provenance of a hat. Quite a history associated with this nice old hat!

DOUGLAS

Thanks Arctichghlandr for that bit of history. We love any history about hats and there origins. This type of collective assembled bits of facts and anticdotes are great. Most of it will be lost or forgotten so it is important to tell what is known.

I did see that clock Marc. I love the fact that it says people buy not shop and mens clothes and womens apparel. I love those tiny distintions in advertizing. That entire facade would be right at home now at the new and improved Times Square.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart