Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

knitted hunting socks/hose/stockings

Alexi

One of the Regulars
on the whole driven game thing, I've heard that we may have as much claim to the invention of the fox hunt as y'all. or at least the southerners do.

We pretty much can get the same socks as both the links you gave me over here. Looking for something like the stripped ones on the gent to the left. But thanks for the links having fun perusing them.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Alexi said:
on the whole driven game thing, I've heard that we may have as much claim to the invention of the fox hunt as y'all. or at least the southerners do.

That's quite a claim, but not so surprising given the European roots of the southern US 'aristocracy'. In England hunting was for the aristocracy. Here's a fox-hunting timeline I've found.

By 'driven game', I mean driving well-fattened birds towards the guns. Where's the sport in that?

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
That's quite a claim, but not so surprising given the European roots of the southern US 'aristocracy'. In England hunting was for the aristocracy. Here's a fox-hunting timeline I've found.

By 'driven game', I mean driving well-fattened birds towards the guns. Where's the sport in that?

hmmm well you know those southerners were there before the Norman invasion...

Yeah I know of no history to back it up, someone had just mentioned it to me once [huh]

according to Albion Seed, "stiff upper lip" has it's roots in New England.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
oh and on driven game I don't like shooting when dogs are around. Makes me nervous.

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
As to having dogs around: In rough shooting aka walk up , what most of us do in the U.S. I was taught at a very early age that you have to see blue (sky) below the bird before you pull the trigger. It always has worked for me. I spend a lot of days afield with mine and others dogs.

My cousin once chastised me for not taking a shot, I informed him that I saw his dog in the way. He has never questioned my laying off a shot since.

As far as shooting driven birds. I don't know how well y'all shoot, but those high crossers and rising over heads are tough shots.

Just when sporting clays makes me cocky, it only takes a phez, quail, grouse or dove to remind me that humility is a virtue.

All the best,

CH

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I used to do some .22 range target shooting when I was a kid. Not for a long time, though.

Rough shooting is the kind that appeals to me: out on marshes and in woodland, the sort of thing we can only read about as history in the UK, unless we've access to large tracts of open game land. I appreciate the special skill involved in shooting driven birds, but for it's too machine-like, efficienct and mechanical.

It's very difficult to get into shooting of any kind in the UK, for many reasons, including the prevalence of the relatively small amount of land there is being owned often by a tiny possessive bunch of individuals and because of our peculiarly laxity on asserting individual liberties. (Just my opinons as an aside, folks, not looking to start a debate. :))

Alexi

One of the Regulars
ClothesHorse said:
As to having dogs around: In rough shooting aka walk up , what most of us do in the U.S. I was taught at a very early age that you have to see blue (sky) below the bird before you pull the trigger. It always has worked for me. I spend a lot of days afield with mine and others dogs.

My cousin once chastised me for not taking a shot, I informed him that I saw his dog in the way. He has never questioned my laying off a shot since.

As far as shooting driven birds. I don't know how well y'all shoot, but those high crossers and rising over heads are tough shots.

Just when sporting clays makes me cocky, it only takes a phez, quail, grouse or dove to remind me that humility is a virtue.

All the best,

CH

oh I know it's a pretty unreasonable fear, but any uncomfortableness and guns don't mix.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
I used to do some .22 range target shooting when I was a kid. Not for a long time, though.

Rough shooting is the kind that appeals to me: out on marshes and in woodland, the sort of thing we can only read about as history in the UK, unless we've access to large tracts of open game land. I appreciate the special skill involved in shooting driven birds, but for it's too machine-like, efficienct and mechanical.

It's very difficult to get into shooting of any kind in the UK, for many reasons, including the prevalence of the relatively small amount of land there is being owned often by a tiny possessive bunch of individuals and because of our peculiarly laxity on asserting individual liberties. (Just my opinons as an aside, folks, not looking to start a debate. :))

Well come over to the states and we'll take a trip up to northern Quebec and go shooting in some real woodlands :eek:

most of New England was clear cut 150 years ago, we are just starting to get the wilderness back.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
yup, we even will get a bumper sticker for the trip that says "brake for a moose, it could save your life!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR