Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox Premier

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Dreispitz said:
[URL="
P1100004.jpg

The face of a serious hat addict who has just had a "fix" of new felt.

I can see the dopamine coursing in his veins.

"Aaaahhhhhh, Knox, hmmmmmm..."

Dreispitz

One Too Many
suitedcboy said:
Dreispitz said:
[URL="
P1100004.jpg

The face of a serious hat addict who has just had a "fix" of new felt.

I can see the dopamine coursing in his veins.

"Aaaahhhhhh, Knox, hmmmmmm..."

Yea man, that was psychedelic! Double crack charge of Knox Premier. Good stuff, that is. :D

Dreispitz

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
Super find! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap The felt looks like it has a heather like quality (might be the photo). What does the bow look like?

Here is a shot of the bow and a better capture of the colour. Still a bit overexposed, though.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
carouselvic said:
The US Patent Office gives a first use for for the ovalized sixteenths as Feb. 1933,nice hat!

Cavanagh merged with Knox, etc. in 1932 to form Hat Corporation of America. So, the patant you mention is post merger. Does not rule out, ovaliased sixties lables existed before that year.

So, what about the taped and unreeded sweatband in relation to the lable? Is the "ovalised sixties" an indication of a 1932 or later destination? Can the taped sweatband proof an earlier date, like pre 1930?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dreispitz said:
Cavanagh merged with Knox, etc. in 1932 to form Hat Corporation of America. So, the patant you mention is post merger. Does not rule out, ovaliased sixties lables existed before that year.

So, what about the taped and unreeded sweatband in relation to the lable? Is the "ovalised sixties" an indication of a 1932 or later destination? Can the taped sweatband proof an earlier date, like pre 1930?

Actually, the "First Use in Commerce" dates for trademarks are required to be very accurate in order to register and guarantee the trademark. The trademark paperwork confirms that the first use of the term "Ovalized Sixteenths" on Knox hat labels was on February 24, 1933. The term would not have been used prior to that on Knox labels, no matter when the merger was. That makes your Knox no older than Feb, 24, 1933. However, the taped sweatband narrows it to a mid-'30s hat, a very desirable period, and a very fine hat!

What labels are under the sweatband?

Brad

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up

Finished under US Pat No 2143051
This was Cavanagh's from Jan 10 1939

Retailed at Woolf Brother's for $10.00, a Kansas and Kansas City Co.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hi Brad, here is the lable. No really good shot, but I did not want to overstratch the sweatband.

Crown hight is indicated as 5 1/2 and sz. is 7 3/8. There is no top and bottom printing as in Caruselvic´s sample.

michael78

One of the Regulars
Knox Premier UK

Hi Guys, i bought this hat for £20 quid, it says Knox on the inside, could anyone give me some info on it?. It looks fairly new to me. This is my first hat and i know absolutely nothing about them.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN5181.jpg
    DSCN5181.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN5180.jpg
    DSCN5180.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCN5179.jpg
    DSCN5179.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCN5178.jpg