Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox Premier

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I have long been searching for a Knox fedora -- with no luck. The ones that show up on the 'Bay in my size seem few and far between. When they do show up in my size, the brims tend to be too narrow for my taste. So, when this Knox Premier showed up this past week, it definitely caught my attention. The auction photos depicted a blue/gray hat with a distinctive gray-ish/black/white ribbon that seemed rather unique.

When I opened the box today, my jaw hit the floor. Instead of blue/gray felt, I discovered a beautiful taupe color, complemented by a ribbon that is gold, muted white, and dark taupe. This is, without a doubt, one of the most stunning vintage lids I have ever seen. When I took the hat out into the sunlight, the gold color of the ribbon just came alive. It's not brown, it really is gold -- like opening the old Crayola box and reaching for that gold crayon. :) Very, very tasteful felt/ribbon color scheme, and, from what I've seen, very unique and distinctive.

The dress-weight felt is very nice. The hat has a 2 3/4" brim and is 5 1/2" open crown. There appears to be an original price tag underneath the sweat, which shows a price of $10. The sweat itself is thick and luxurious, and it is non-reeded. The Knox seal on the sweat is embossed, and the size tag contains the phrase "Ovalized Sixteenths." The ribbon is 3/4" wide, and is pretty much a match for the ribbon style on a Stetson Playboy. Interestingly, the striped treatment on this ribbon reminds me of the ribbon treatment on my green Stetson Playboy. The edge binding is 3/8".

If any Knox owners out there can help with dating, I'd appreciate it. The non-reeded sweat makes me wonder if this lid may be circa 1940, but I can only guess. I may send this one off to Optimo for cleaning, so I did a quick diamond crease for photos...

Knox2.jpg

Ribbon-2.jpg

Liner-25.jpg

KnoxSeal.jpg

SizeTag-2.jpg

PriceTag.jpg

Knox3.jpg

Knox4.jpg

Knox1.jpg

Knox5.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Wow that is a super hat. I saw the post on the eBay thread but I like the real look even better. Really love the edge treatment and color combo.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:

When I opened the box today, my jaw hit the floor. Instead of blue/gray felt, I discovered a beautiful taupe color, complemented by a ribbon that is gold, muted white, and dark taupe. This is, without a doubt, one of the most stunning vintage lids I have ever seen. ...

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

How nice to have have a blazer on hand that matches it perfectly... or did you run out and peal one of the rack just for the lid - if you did it was worth it :eusa_clap!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
How nice to have have a blazer on hand that matches it perfectly... or did you run out and peal one of the rack just for the lid - if you did it was worth it :eusa_clap!

I have to admit -- that blazer is truly lid-worthy! lol

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mayserwegener said:
Wow that is a super hat. I saw the post on the eBay thread but I like the real look even better. Really love the edge treatment and color combo.

Outstanding.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Jimmy, Let me add my voice to the chorus. You're killing me with these astounding hats. The whole package of that Knox is just a tribute to the hatters art. Ribbon, binding proportions they just look as though the milliner smiled to themselves as they saw it take shape. Wear it in good health.
Tom D.

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
So, Jimmy the Lid, you must have a hard time walking out the door. What do you say to yourself? "Which one of my amazing fedoras should I sport today?
Should I wear this incredible one or that to die for one, or this mind-blowing one of a kind one?" I know I'd have trouble. So many great hats, just one head. This Knox Premier is truly stunning. Thank you so much for diligently sharing your finds with us. It's nice to know that these "beauties" are still out there and receiving new life. I know that there are a great many of us that really enjoy seeing your ever-evolving collection and delight in knowing how well you respect the fine arts of hat making, collecting and wearing. And that's why these wonderful hats seem to find you. Keep 'em coming, sir.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Damon Falzone said:
So, Jimmy the Lid, you must have a hard time walking out the door. What do you say to yourself? "Which one of my amazing fedoras should I sport today?
Should I wear this incredible one or that to die for one, or this mind-blowing one of a kind one?" I know I'd have trouble. So many great hats, just one head. This Knox Premier is truly stunning. Thank you so much for diligently sharing your finds with us. It's nice to know that these "beauties" are still out there and receiving new life. I know that there are a great many of us that really enjoy seeing your ever-evolving collection and delight in knowing how well you respect the fine arts of hat making, collecting and wearing. And that's why these wonderful hats seem to find you. Keep 'em coming, sir.

Wow. What an incredibly nice thing to say, Damon Falzone. I am truly humbled. Thank you, most sincerely.

When I first discovered the Lounge, I soaked up all I could learn from the many contributors here. In particular, I loved looking at the photographs that people took the time to post. Those photos helped to bring the hats alive, and I just couldn't get enough of them! So, as I have acquired vintage lids over time, I have endeavored to chronicle those lids here -- not in the spirit of "Look what I have," but, instead, in the spirit of helping to provide a reference for all of us who gather here to breathe in all things fedora. :) The people I truly admire in this forum are those who clearly have a love and respect for vintage hats, and who have taken the time to share their knowledge. I have certainly tried to contribute in that spirit. So, your kind words are very much appreciated. As for the hats -- I hope they keep finding me...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I bought what appeared to be blueberries from this same seller.
They turned out to be chickpeas. ;)
3766494684_73f8c0101f.jpg

blueberries.jpg

Knox2.jpg

chickpeas_1_s.jpg

Either way, that's a fantastic hat. :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
St.Ignatz said:
Jimmy, Let me add my voice to the chorus. You're killing me with these astounding hats. The whole package of that Knox is just a tribute to the hatters art. Ribbon, binding proportions they just look as though the milliner smiled to themselves as they saw it take shape. Wear it in good health.
Tom D.

Thank you, Tom. And thanks to all for the nice comments, as well.

:cheers1:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what a fantastic hat, JtL!

Okay, here's my thinking on the age of the hat.

I'm thinking mid- to late-'30s on this one.

First, the unreeded sweatband points to a '30s or earlier hat. But, the sweatband is stitched, so that makes it more of a later '30s or newer hat.

And finally, there isn't the clover bow on the sweatband, which Hat Corporation appears to have started using by around 1940 or so, though maybe a few years earlier, or maybe a few years later.

My $0.02, anyway.

Still, love the ribbon. That is classy casual at its finest.:eusa_clap

Brad

Woodfluter

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
When I first discovered the Lounge, I soaked up all I could learn from the many contributors here. In particular, I loved looking at the photographs that people took the time to post. Those photos helped to bring the hats alive, and I just couldn't get enough of them! So, as I have acquired vintage lids over time, I have endeavored to chronicle those lids here -- not in the spirit of "Look what I have," but, instead, in the spirit of helping to provide a reference for all of us who gather here to breathe in all things fedora. :) The people I truly admire in this forum are those who clearly have a love and respect for vintage hats, and who have taken the time to share their knowledge.

(1) Oh man Jimmy, what a fantastic hat. (Just my size in case you ever get tired of it.) Your diligence rewarded. The black line in the gold ribbon is a super classy touch that I haven't seen, in this exact form, elsewhere. Sets off the gold ribbon perfectly.

(2) What wonderful sentiments you expressed above. I feel the same. The generosity and patience of almost all members, their shared enthusiasm and humor, really set this place apart. In some ways it really does seem like the neighborhood bar or pub.

(3) Question for Brad Bowers...what is a clover bow? I thought the bows on sweats were always pretty much the same, but now I don't know...

- Bill

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy, that hat must hail from the day when $10 would buy a nice three-piece suit!! No kiddin'. That is a whole lotta' fine lid for that kind of scratch. We can't begin to relate to that economy of scale from that far in the past.

About the cleaning; Optimo is THE place for vintage TLC but I've read that Graham is almost always real keen to strip hats of their trimmings and do complete refurbs, including replacing sweatband leather. I'm sure you're planning to discuss details with him but I thought I'd bring that up since you might not want this hat to really be rebuilt that much even if it is his M.O., y'know?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Woodfluter said:
(3) Question for Brad Bowers...what is a clover bow? I thought the bows on sweats were always pretty much the same, but now I don't know...

Bill,

I call it a 3-leaf clover, but it's basically a tasseled, tri-lobed string, as seen on this 1958 Dobbs.

1958DobbsClover.jpg

This was a standard-style sweatband bow from Hat Corporation of America for at least two decades, and maybe three. Borsalino copied it, or maybe Hat Corp. copied Borsalino. I've seen these from Hat Corp. with two lobes, and up to five lobes from Borsalino.

There was recently a Stephen L. Stetson up on eBay that had a tri-lobe, and I wondered if perhaps Hat Corp. had made that one. I can't remember if Stephen L. Stetson made their own, or had them produced for them by someone else.

Anyway, back to the Knox Premier!

Brad

Dreispitz

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Wow. What an incredibly nice thing to say, Damon Falzone. I am truly humbled. Thank you, most sincerely.

When I first discovered the Lounge, I soaked up all I could learn from the many contributors here. In particular, I loved looking at the photographs that people took the time to post. Those photos helped to bring the hats alive, and I just couldn't get enough of them! So, as I have acquired vintage lids over time, I have endeavored to chronicle those lids here -- not in the spirit of "Look what I have," but, instead, in the spirit of helping to provide a reference for all of us who gather here to breathe in all things fedora. :) The people I truly admire in this forum are those who clearly have a love and respect for vintage hats, and who have taken the time to share their knowledge. I have certainly tried to contribute in that spirit. So, your kind words are very much appreciated. As for the hats -- I hope they keep finding me...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Jimmy, I agree 100%! This forum is a rare web institution generating knowledge, taste, reference and, not to forget, fun. It is interesting to observe the change in people´s taste and - eventually - collecting attitude when they join the forum and when they develop knowledge and taste, over time.

It is interesting, that there are not too many hats of that particular kind around. What were they in the in their times? Mainstream? Fancy? Special fashion exrtavagances? Who were the intended clients? Certinly not the average Kevin (British colateral for Joe :D ), as opposed to a contemporary Jimmy ;)

As far, as restoration is concerned, I would not do too much and try to keep the original condition. It is far too rare and worthy to be kept in it´s original condition for coming generations of hat lovers. At least as a reference piece. So, weare it!

Here is to all the anonymous bidders and discerning collectors who only come second in auctions of outstanding vintage hats for the one or other reason! :cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy