Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox Superfine Derby

Bogie

One of the Regulars
<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230119859267&rd=1&rd=1">Here</A>

Just won it off of the 'bay. It is my first foray into the world of hard felts as I've wanted a derby for a long time, I just haven't gotten around to it until now. Personally, I think I might have paid bit more than what was planned, but hopefully it will pan out for me. I will definately be posting some better pictures when it arrives.

Any of you fellows have an idea to it's age?

Thanks,

Bogie.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
H-m-m-m...dark clean sweatband, and lettering style that looks 1960s. That's my guess. Maybe 70's. But I don't claim dating expertise. Just looked at a ton of pictures here in the lounge.

dean

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
i cant claim expertise by any stretch but i seem to recall reading the knox hat company was gone by the 1970s. So perhaps the it is a bit older. Beautiful hat!
:eusa_clap

Bogie

One of the Regulars
It came in!

The derby came in today, and I am very pleased with it! I had a few initial scrupples about my purchase, but I don't think it could have gone any better.

Here is the box right after I pulled it out of the mail. The shipping job couldn't have been any better. It was packed tight, and I had a devil of a time removing it. In several places someone wrote the word 'Derby' but other than that the condition was perfect.

View of the right side of the Derby. The entire hat seemed spotless, with nary a bad spot in the felt, nor splitting ribbon in sight.

Inside view of the derby. The silk and sweatband were perfectly flawless, with nary a stain in sight.

The knot style and the size of the derby. Although it has an inside plastic lining over the silk, which is common during the 50's, it has a knot style that is most commonly found on hats before that time period. A bit puzzling, but perhaps someone with more experience can reason it out.

And finally, there I am, wearing it. :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Superfine, indeed!

I've got a couple of Stetsons myself. (Yes, as noted elsewhere, I'm WAY behind in posting my acquisitions!) I like the derby for some reason. Maybe it's due to how well John Steed wore them.

Yours looks great!

Cheers,
Tom

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bogie said:
The knot style and the size of the derby. Although it has an inside plastic lining over the silk, which is common during the 50's, it has a knot style that is most commonly found on hats before that time period. A bit puzzling, but perhaps someone with more experience can reason it out.

Congrats on the lid.

For what it's worth, I put my Dobbs West hat on this
morning to walk the dog. I noticed it has a similar knot
in the back. Given its proportions, plastic in the liner,
mustard color, etc, I can't imagine my Dobbs is any earlier than the 60s.

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the assistance in dating this hat, as well as your compliments. Here is the side shot you requested Matt:

Caught mid-sentence talking to the photo fairy who was shooting on my left. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats