Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would this hat take the place of a Fed IV?

T Rick

Practically Family
Won a great looking vintage Stetson tonight on eBay (hope it fits!). I'd been planning to buy a Fed IV in brown, as my only brown Fedora (which for some reason seems more "all purpose" to me) so far is my nice vintage Mallory 10. Needed more variety.

Wondering if the Fed IV is different enough from this one to warrant getting it in brown? Maybe I should get it in Moonstone (too similar to my Nostalgia in Caribou?) or Tawny Fawn?

While we're at it, could I hear some opinions on the Deluxe vs. the Standard Fed. IV?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My opinion is that a hat is not a hat is not a hat.

In other words, I can have two hats, dimensionally similar, that do not look the same to me on my head, and I will invariably wear only one of them most of the time simply because of the subtle differences, and there are subtle differences in every hat of the same dimensions. This is probably why I have very few hats, or at least very few that I wear.

T Rick

Practically Family
Good point Scotty, the Fed may actually be quite different anyway. As you point out, even subtle differences can make a big difference in the way a hat looks (or feels). Plus, variety is a good thing!

TWH, I'm reasonably confident it will fit. Maybe it's been luck so far, but I've got 4 Stetsons ranging from 1930's (1920's?) to new, all at 7 1/8 and they all fit great. Hoping this one follows suit. And looking it over more closely, I think a Fed IV will be distinctive enough from it. As for brown, again options are desireable. I'd like something a bit "Indy-ish", and the Fed IV would I think do that more so than this one (we'll see). And the Mallory is yet another variant (it "looks" vintage, and I'm resistant to restoring it, I've taken to wearing it with the brim "Hollywood" style, it seems to like that. This latest Stetson will probably stay bashed the way it is. Leaves room for a center dent Fed IV I think. Maybe.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If you're looking for Indy-ish, the Fed IV is one of the best lower priced hats available. The dimensional brim is a big factor in achieving that look. 'Indy' or not, I find the dimensional brim to be a necessity in my fedoras.

Last year, someone was offering a hat block of the style I wanted, and in my size so I bought it and used it to reblock a couple of hats so far, including one of my Feds. I have to say that the results were exactly what I wanted. I only mention this because if you're handy you can coax hats that are close to what you want closer to being exactly what you want. Plus, I enjoy doing things myself.

Edward

Bartender
I don't (yet) have a Fed IV, but I do have two MK IIIs, one deluxe, one standard. Love both. The standard was noticeably softer out of the box, but a couple of years in little difference between the two. Gut instinct for me is to go DeLuxe, but I can't honestly say I have a very clear reasoning for that. There's certainly nothing substandard about the regular Fed.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
That's a great looking Stetson, and while the Fed IV is a very different hat, it would be a shame not to make the Stetson your primary brown-on-brown lid. I am a strong supporter of variety. I say, get the Tawny Fed IV. It looks great, and it's a less common felt/ribbon color combo. Then, you'll have a nice selection of hats without too much repetition. THEN, if you like the Fed IV and you feel you must have a brown or a moonstone, you can pick one up later.

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks again all, some good thoughts. NB13, I may do just that, the Tawny Fawn is a very appealing option.

Alan, if it fits as I suspect it will, I think I'll like it a lot. Occurs to me that the profile is quite like the one Bogey is wearing in my current avatar.

Edward, thanks for the insight, sounds like something I may need to see for myself. Maybe now I'll wait to compare the Heritage Camp Draft to decide which way to go (already have one in Imperial to compare to). Originally I'd planned to order the Fed IV when I return home from S. FL in a week and a half, and put the Panamas up until MI weather catches up. Didn't plan to run into this Stetson, it just sort of called to me when I stumbled onto it.

Scotty, I'm def. a DIY kind of guy, might go down that road eventually too. I know I've seen some of your pics and really like the lids you show.

I'll post pics when I get home (it will arrive ahead of me). If it's not true to size, I'll get a good measurement and put it on the block.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner