Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hope none of you guys bought this hat on Ebay

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I saw this hat on Ebay, and at first it looked good. Upon further reading his description I saw that it had a label that read 96% wool. I sent him a message asking why he was passing off a wool hat as being fur felt. I got this response:

"Thanks for looking, the last time I checked wool comes from a sheep and its the sheeps fur, hence fur felt.

- nolanf"

I had planned to get on here and warn folks but the day got away from me and I was too late.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_1861wt_1153

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
yikes. steep price for "sheep's fur." And this seller rings familiar to me as well, though I don't believe I've ever bid on his auctions. seems a bit gruff and sarcastic, too, after reading his descriptions, warnings, sales pitches, Q&A, etc.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
This guy does seem to get hold of some nice hats - I see him quite often in my searches and always have to laugh at his little anti-snipe rant.

Of course he doesn't want people to use a Snipe program; he'd far rather they bid up the price during the auction.

Hmm, where did I leave my sheep fur sweater?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
He's changed the listing to mention "wool," but that's still misleading. I won my Resistol Kitten Finish from him last year; the hat was in even *better* condition than he described. Strange, this.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the body of the auction now says (although the auction has ended), 'This is a classic wool blend fur felt fedora dress hat in very gently used vintage condition. I’m not sure if this brand is an offshoot of Beaver Brand hats, but the tag on the ribbon was there when I acquired the hat.'

Yes, it is misleading, especially the Beaver Brand reference, considering he is not even sure.

I think the advice regarding sniping is informative and valuable to someone who may lose out at the last second because they didn't get their highest bid in soon enough.

Duper

Practically Family
I have seen many hats from this gentleman. I think I have even bid on a few over the years. I was under the impression this seller was a fellow lounger. Even the address Rancho Cucamongo looks familiar to me. Perhaps it was a "cut and paste" oversight when building the body of the text.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Blackthorn,

Still hangin' under the hat, I see.

I noticed this hat and from a pure collector standpoint, I think it would be quite a find, I mean if you came across it in a flea market for a few bust, especially since it appears to have the original tag and is, I presume, NOS

Notice what it says ... “Extra Quality, Monitor Process”; and at the front is “Monitor Process Felt, Kraft Hat Mfgrs, Extra Quality, 96% Wool, 4% Casein Fibre”.

Back in my college days ... which was a long long long time ago ... I came across some of these hats and thought about buying a couple ... I collectd back then, too ... because of the unique process.

I disagree with his suggestion about wool being fur ... that is nonsense and it spits in the eye of fine hat traditions dating back to the original John B. Stetsons .... but I digress.

I don't know that I'd want to wear one of these, and I have no idea what casein does in the rain ... but if it's really in as good of condition as it appears to be, it would certainly be rare.

For what it's worth ...

Sam

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorn,

Still hangin' under the hat, I see.

I noticed this hat and from a pure collector standpoint, I think it would be quite a find, I mean if you came across it in a flea market for a few bust, especially since it appears to have the original tag and is, I presume, NOS

Notice what it says ... “Extra Quality, Monitor Process”; and at the front is “Monitor Process Felt, Kraft Hat Mfgrs, Extra Quality, 96% Wool, 4% Casein Fibre”.

Back in my college days ... which was a long long long time ago ... I came across some of these hats and thought about buying a couple ... I collectd back then, too ... because of the unique process.

I disagree with his suggestion about wool being fur ... that is nonsense and it spits in the eye of fine hat traditions dating back to the original John B. Stetsons .... but I digress.

I don't know that I'd want to wear one of these, and I have no idea what casein does in the rain ... but if it's really in as good of condition as it appears to be, it would certainly be rare.

For what it's worth ...

Sam
You do make an interesting point, Sam, about its collectibility. I just feel that the phrase "fur felt" should not have been anywhere in his listing.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Vintage wool hats are very rare, even rarer in decent condition and the caesin content helps date it to the WWII period. I wouldn't pay that much for it, but historically, it's a very interesting hat.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Casein is cheese

Well, it is the protein in milk. Since cheese is made from milk (I exclude tofu, even though it is sometimes marketed as vegetarian cheese.), except for fat, casein is what's in cheese, along with the bacteria that turns milk into cheese and any additional flavorings.

Wait for it, it was a cheesy posting, describing wool as fur.

Mystic

Practically Family
ebay continues to drop in my estimation...

Ran across similar incident this morning. Hat was listed as fur felt 6 3/4. In the description was 100% wool. in the photos described as 7 1/8. No size tag in the hat.

seller measured inside circumference at 21 1/2"

didn't get a link.....when I emailed seller about different sizes and 100% wool/fur felt differences.....

seller said the auction on this hat would be pulled down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy