Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stolen eBay hat

Banky

One of the Regulars
So I'm posting more for information than for condolences, these things happen and I can't control the morals of other people. But here's the story:

I purchased this hat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191120043488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The transaction went off just fine the hat was shipped and everything was agreeable. Fast forward to April 9th and I'm waiting for my package to arrive. I live about 5 minutes away from the hat shop so I waited as long as I could before conceding that my package was not coming that day and went off to work. Upon returning to my apartment that night I just by chance refreshed the tracking information and it shows my package was delivered at 11:15 or so that morning, well before I would have left off to work.

I heard no doorbell and saw nothing upon leaving my apartment. I opened the door to my apartment and looked down the hall towards the mailboxes, nothing there. I assume perhaps the package wasn't left but got scanned at the start of the postman's route and decided it best to wait until the next morning to see what the mail brings. Next day, mail arrives and no hat. So I decide to go down to the post office, thinking perhaps it was left there. Upon explaining to the clerk my situation he looked the package up and checked the place only to turn up empty handed and told me they would question the carrier. I returned the next morning for the verdict, the carrier was "pretty sure" it was delivered and the supervisor I was speaking to referred me back to eBay to attempt to get my money back at least.

Now, my question is: I a not a big eBay user preferring to make my non local hat deals with you guys here on the lounge, but I occasionally buy some things on the bay. So for those of you more seasoned than I in the ways of eBay do I stand any chance of eBay refunding me the money or is it likely that because the tracking marks it as delivered they will not be able to help? Also, can anyone think of any other course of action or should I just write this one off to bad luck?

Thanks for reading the story and any insight.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I had a scare last year that went almost exactly as you described here. A beautiful asymmetrical fur felt 20s cloche. Turns out it was inadvertently delivered to my neighbor...*whew!*. I was so shook up that I immediately went and purchased a PO Box and have all my hats delivered there. I no longer have to worry about any mis-delivered/stolen/lost hats.

I can't imagine ebay refunding you. The problem is with the post office..ebay and the seller fulfilled their part of the transaction. If the package wasn't insured you may be SOL. And don't go crying to the seller...I can assure you he/she will blow you off and tell you in no uncertain terms that it aint their problem.

Banky

One of the Regulars
That is more or less what I'm guessing. I don't expect anything from the seller, it certainly isn't his fault.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
That is more or less what I'm guessing. I don't expect anything from the seller, it certainly isn't his fault.

I recommend that you get a PO Box. I was hysterical when I thought my hat was gone forever. I had assumed that a crackhead stole it..so I went up and down the avenue checking trash cans, in case they opened the box and determined they had a worthless old hat on their hands and tossed it...and I went to the various beauty parlors and asked if anyone tried to sell a hat to the clientele since crackheads will try to make money to get their next hit. i was so relieved when my neighbor came over with box in hand that I dropped to my knees and started bawling, no lie!, lol

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Another thing, keep an eye open because it may have been misdelivered. Some lucky guy is probably going to be strutting like a peacock around town with your hat on his head. Keep that ebay listing and tracking number handy just in case you spot the thief and have to get the police involved.

...do I stand any chance of eBay refunding me the money or is it likely that because the tracking marks it as delivered they will not be able to help? Also, can anyone think of any other course of action or should I just write this one off to bad luck?
eBay will more than likely request whatever tracking information you or the sender can provide; since the Universally Stupid Postal Service shows it was delivered, eBay would likely say neither they or the seller are responsible and that it was the fault of the U.S.P.S.. If it was mis-delivered you can hope that whoever received it will return it to the carrier or deliver it to you themselves, but as more time passes that seems less likely.

The real problem is with U.S.P.S.'s tracking system--even if used properly it shows the package was delivered, but doesn't show where it was delivered; they have to rely on their carriers to provide that information. So unless the carrier remembers that specific package for some reason, it could have been delivered anywhere on that carrier's route. Since the carrier was "pretty sure" it was delivered, the U.S.P.S. probably considers the matter closed as far as their involvement is concerned (which is why they referred you back to eBay). If you paid for insurance the U.S.P.S. will have to open an official investigation, but otherwise they probably won't do anything more than they already have. You can try to open a case with eBay (or PayPal if that's how the payment was sent) and take your chances; your odds don't look good, but it can't hurt to try.

Unfortunately, I'm speaking from personal experience. In one year the U.S.P.S. delivered four packages somewhere other than our house, and only one of them was recovered. The other three were never located and, since I hadn't paid for insurance, they told me I had no recourse because their tracking and their courier showed/said the packages had been delivered. I wish I had more positive information for you, but my experiences with the U.S.P.S. haven't been particularly good when there was a problem.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I buy a lot on eBay, and have had this same thing happen a number of times. Package tracking shows it as delivered, but I never got it. Now, if the item is worth more than a few bucks I insist that the seller send it signature required, even if I have to pay extra for it myself.

I hope your hat turns up, but don't hold your breath.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The package still may turn up. I've had letters and packages misdelivered to neighbors who took a few days to get them to me. That said, the one thing I've learned from my experiences with USPS is to always get insurance. That and to avoid using them if at all possible.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
When I thought I lost my hat, I had briefly considered insuring every hat that I bought. I would get the money back that I paid for the hat...but I don't want the money back, I want that last surviving 80 year old hat that is most likely the last of its kind. The most secure method of having a vintage hat safely delivered is with a po box, imo.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The most secure method of having a vintage hat safely delivered is with a po box, imo.
Within the USPS system,yes, because it removes the carrier from the equation. But personally, I'll take FedEx over all US carriers for their precise tracking and perfect (in my case) delivery record.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Within the USPS system,yes, because it removes the carrier from the equation. But personally, I'll take FedEx over all US carriers for their precise tracking and perfect (in my case) delivery record.

Yes, Fedex is better, but it would significantly add to the cost. Personally, I buy too many hats for that to even be a consideration. I also don't want to worry about having to be home to accept the package from fedex. If you tell Fedex to leave the package/no signature required then you are back in the position of possibly getting the package lifted from your doorstep by Mr/Ms. Stickyfingers. If you request signature then you have to sit and wait for Fedex to come..both options are not appealing to me,imo. With the po box, it is delivered at all hours of the day and the packages sit safely and securely within the post office until I pick it up at my convenience. JMO.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Don't they have to get a signature from the person they deliver it to? That's how it works in Germany.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Last edited:

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
FedEx will take delivery of your package at any of their stores, for no charge (How much is a PO Box these days?) . And many store are open 24/7 which is very convenient.

http://www.fedex.com/us/office/hold-at-location.html

Oh! I didn't know this. I have the smallest box and I pay no more than 100 bucks per year. So roughly 8 bucks a month for the security and peace of mind in addition to paying the more cost effective USPS shipping prices.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Don't they have to get a signature from the person they deliver it to? That's how it works in Germany.

They do but you have to pay for it, which adds up over time if you are a person like me that does a lot of shopping online. Not only do I have my hats delivered to my po box but other non-hat related purchases as well.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I usually solve the problem by having packages shipped to my office, rather than at home.

If anything is delivered to our home, it has to either sit outside all day or is taken to the post office if it needs to be signed for (having to pick things up from the PO is one of my least favorite chores).

Much easier for things to be delivered to the shipping guy at work.

There have been several posts here on the forum about things disappearing that the USPS claims have been delivered.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Another nice feature at FedEx is that every shipment includes $100 worth of insurance at no additional charge. And no, I haven't an affiliation with the company; just a happy longtime customer.:)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I usually solve the problem by having packages shipped to my office, rather than at home.

I used to do this when i worked at a place that had an internal mail delivery system. Thankfully, the post office is a 10 minute walk from my home. Having it delivered to the workplace may be a great option for Banky if his boss allows it.

Another nice feature at FedEx is that every shipment includes $100 worth of insurance at no additional charge. And no, I haven't an affiliation with the company; just a happy longtime customer.:)

I agree. As their old commercial says "when it absolutely, positively has to get there..." FedEx is the clear winner. They are not cheap, however. You pay for that reliability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy