Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knox Twenty - or is it?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This one's a mystery. The liner says Knox, the sweat and the labels under it say different, or do they? It's big, has a Cav edge, 5" crown bashed, and a 2-5/8" brim. Sadly, there's a hole at the front of the crown, but the felt feels nice and it has a great vintage look.

Click the smaller pics for the larger version.

Knox20Grey06.jpg

The liner looks pretty clean so it was likely a replacement after the was cleaned. From the looks of that hole at the tip of the pinch, be glad they cleaned it. It was likely pretty well worn over the years. It looks pretty clean and fresh right down to the sweatband---maybe that was a replacement as well. [huh]
Nice hat. I could live with the small hole. :D

Regards,

J

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's sure interesting, and it does have the "character" my more pristine hats lack. I guess "Arrow" (the larger sticker) is the company that renovated the hat. I didn't even see the smaller reorder tag until I started taking pictures, and I couldn't see much of anything on that with the naked eye, but my camera picked up the old printing. The sweat has no markings other than "Woolf Brothers."

In addition to the hole in the top front, there's a thin spot on the left side of the crown, where the side dent is, so I'll need to be gentle with this one.

astaire

One of the Regulars
When I look at the bow treatment of your hat closely, i'd say i'm 99% sure it is a Knox twenty. I have 2 knox twenty hats and a knox fifteen. They all have very similar bow treatment as your hat.

It's interesting that different hat makers have different bow treatments and I think Knox makes the best ones of the vintage hatters. It is their unique signature. I know JP rates this company very highly in his top ten list.

Very nice hat, Tony!:eusa_clap

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails