Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies, what scents do you like on your men?

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I think it might, my dads 58 and he wears it so their grandads are probably young/old enough to wear it. They're trying to bring Old Spice back into fashion though with the flashy adverts so maybe it will work. Always worth a try :)

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I actually really like some of their newer scents... the SO wears a couple of those depending on his mood, and none of them remind me of my dad, thank God. However, not vintage.

Smuterella

One Too Many
My Grandfather wore it but that doesn't put me off a chap - my Grandfather also used Brylcream - that doesn't put me off either. But then I have a bit of a "Daddy" thing so that edge of safety with the smell is quite erotic in an ever so slightly kinky way. ;)

Octavia

Familiar Face
I'm with Smuterella - it reminds me of my father, but that just makes it more endearing and attractive to me, for some reason.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
It's a comforting, classic scent that certainly rings nostalgic to a particular demographic. I'm pretty sure my dad wore it in the 60s and 70s, but I don't think my husband ever has. While it might not put me immediately in mind of Daddy, I think it would definitely give me a sense of days long past.

My 18-year-old daughter, however, probably has no associations with it at all; it'd just be another cologne to her.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
SOOOO intetesting. The sense of smell is much older than our other senses, and connects to a much more primitive part of the brain. That's why a whif of a certain aroma can bring back strong emotions and trigger ancient memories.
Personally, I never use cologne or after shave. But I've always sort of liked the various lime scented splash ons.
Do any of you ladies like lime?
How about those other two old standbys of the early 60's Canoe and English Leather? There was a time around 1964, when you could probably travel from sea to shining sea in this country with the smell of English Leather never leaving your nostrils.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
My Dad wears both Old Spice and English Leather. I like Old Spice, and don't care for English Leather. Even though my Dad wore them, I don't find that it impacts how I feel about the gents wearing it. Unfortunately, I tend to be scent-sensitive, so my fella doesn't get to wear much of any of them...

I wear Old Spice every day, the only person who's ever told me it reminds me of their father, is my mother. All of the ladies' input here has been very fascinating.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Funny responses, but spot on. My father did not wear it (and grew up with a shortage of grandparents) so I'm in the clear, but I do quite like it. My brother started wearing it on occasion, and he gets a totally split vote between 'you smell like my dad/grandpa' and people who love it.

I think the generation is turning and it's perfectly good to come back - also, I LOVE their new ads.

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
That wonderfully lime-y scent of English Leather reminds me of my father and, therefore, is quite a sentimental and comforting scent to me. My mother tells me that my grandfather wore Old Spice, so it's rather a "comfort scent" to her. Wear a scent and own it--make it an extension of your style, your "signature fragrance".

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I find this thread very interesting. I don't wear cologne, but I do use both Old Spice deodorant and Body wash (both in classic).

I have had a girl tell me that she liked the way I smelled, that it made her feel safe and secure.

Quite a while later, she came up to me and asked me out of the blue if I wore Old Spice, because she had smelled it and immediately thought of me.

Derek WC

Banned
I actually don't like the new Old Spice, well, anything. Most of it just smells too pungent, and didn't think gal's would actually like it.

Just a question, but what kind of cologne would I use if I wanted to ask a gal out? (Yes, I am terrible with words)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Scent preference is a personal thing, but I will agree than many men's fragrances today are very pungent. My husband has bought body washes marketed for men, and I've had to tell him they leave the bathroom smelling so sharp and harsh it makes my nose sting. Not appealling.

There's a cologne called Tabac that he used when we met in London. It still makes my knees a little weak when I catch a whiff of it, but of course that's due to our history together. When I had to come back to the US, and he wrote me letters nearly every day, he put a dab of it on each one. I don't know if it can be found in the US even, but we do have a small bottle and on the rare occasion I open it to take a whiff, I'm in romance heaven.

I suggest you sample assorted fragrances, and even ask shop girls (a term probably only inoffensive in a place like the Lounge) what they like on a fellow.

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure what my Dad or Granddad wear as cologne or body wash or anything at all. Old Spice makes me feel safe and comforted though. [huh]

I haven't really gone around smelling a bunch of mens cologne although a guy in my dance class wore the best scent I've ever had the chance to smell, though. Not sure what it was, exactly, but whatever it was made my knees go weak!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Not to go off topic but I love lime scent and think Trumper's extract of West Indian limes is amazing.

Trumper's scents are lovely. My grandfather uses the sandalwood shaving soap in the wooden bowl. It smells so delicious!

None of the men in my family wear aftershave, so I have none of those associations with the fragrances. I do like Old Spice, and Bay Rum. Anything a bit spicy!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Derek WC said:
Just a question, but what kind of cologne would I use if I wanted to ask a gal out?

You could spray different colognes on some cards and ask the opinion of the girl you want to ask out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot