Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lambeth Walk?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hiya! I've been meaning to figure this out for a long time, but does anyone here actually know how to do this dance? I first read about it in a Vogue book I have about the 1930s, and know it was quite popular in the states in 1938. Anyone know anything?
Here's a wikipedia article with more information, but no videos or how-to.

benstephens

Practically Family
Hi Lauren,

It is a very easy and fun dance. Very hard to explain though..... However, only a month or so's time and you will know it off by heart :D . You will also be introduced to the 'Dashing White Serjeant' and the 'St Bernards Waltz'. All are good fun group dances.

I am trying to find a video. Funnily enough we were doing last Saturday for a fashion show...

Kindest

Ben

benstephens

Practically Family
Sorry,

No video, just the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9pnzYzvBI

So, basically. You walk in a circle to eight. You first link arms with your partner.

In a circle to eight, then with your arms link you spin spin one way, then the other. Then face one another and slap your legs. You then move back around in the circle, but this time you hold your lapels (Trying to look like a proper cockney!). This time, you take two steps and then 'Stamp, stamp, stamp for a count of eight, and then an oy and start again.

I suspect I have missed something out, much easier when I am following eveyone else!

Ben

Here it is in Polish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFNUDjvbAMM&NR=1

Lauren

NEAT! I should have just asked you in the first place! lol I've wanted to learn this and The Big Apple for a while, but haven't. Matt has done the Big Apple but doesn't remember how it goes. I'm exited to try these new dances! I love group dances, but I haven't been to many 30s or 40s dances here where we do them! Closest are Victorian quadrilles or Regency country dances :D

benstephens

Practically Family
We always do a lot. One of the best, but fairly energetic is the Dashing White Serjeant, lots of going around in circles etc, it will be quite similar to a Regency dance.

Are there any instructions for the Big Apple, and what music is it too?

Kindest

Ben

Lauren

Oh, that looks like so much fun!
I'll have to bug Matt about Big Apple stuff- it's a dance from '38 from here. All I know is that Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur did it in You Can't Take it With You, but Matt said they did it wrong. [huh] I found this video, but I don't think I can move as well, or as fast, as these folks. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMkKet8qLqE

Ryan

Familiar Face
Me and My Girl

When I think of the Lambeth walk, the 1930's musical Me and My Girl comes to mind. I've seen this musical 3 times and they always gave lessons to anyone who wants to do the Lambeth Walk. Once the song starts, the performers come down off the stage to dance with anyone who wants to dance. You might be able to do a seach for this musical and see if anyone has a video of it.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Here are the instructions from the back of the sheet music (1938):

Lambethwalk.jpg

Lauren

WOW! NEAT! Thanks so much for posting this! I think it's funny how Ben says to say "oy" and this says to say "hey". Must have been the Americanized Arthur Murray version. lol

benstephens

Practically Family
Much more Cockney to say 'Oy', but I imagine hey is what is officially written down.

Yes, I am glad you posted that, it is much clearer than mine, plus I got one of the actions in the wrong order.

The only point I will say, is that the strut on number 3 we do whilst holding our lapels with an exagerated cocknet strut. We then Stamp three times with our legs going out forwards

So 1, 2 Stamp stamp stamp, 1, 2, stamp stamp stamp, then face one another slap our legs and then back facing in the circle and a good old 'Oy'

Kindest Regards

Ben

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Trust us, dear lady, no self respecting person from South of the Thames* would have said, 'Hey!' at the time. It should, of course, be spelled 'Oi!'. Is this important? The political and socialogical significance of this word is enormous and a whole book could be written about it. As well as slogans from the Spanish Civil War the cry features in reports of the Battle of Cable Street in October 1936. It renewed its significance in the 1960s as a shout (and battlecry) of working class white skinheads and in the 1970s became the name of a radical movement in itself that warrants a Wikipedia entry although the wiki typically neglects its earlier working class political derivation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oi!

* Despite what you may hear, with respect, people from 'down Lambeth way' are not 'Cockneys', although Central Londoners had more in common with East Enders than did the 'toffs' in the West End.

Lauren said:
WOW! NEAT! Thanks so much for posting this! I think it's funny how Ben says to say "oy" and this says to say "hey". Must have been the Americanized Arthur Murray version. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy