Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lamp shades

Brinybay

Practically Family
This isn't so much a display post but rather a question on a couple of lamp shades I have.

The first one is a Goodwill find that I'm pretty sure is a reproduction, but I really like that style and would like to know what it's called so I'll know what to search for.

Second one is also a Goodwill find, but more vintage looking, but I can't really tell for sure.

DSC01694.jpg

Lampshade2.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, the first shade is what they call a Victorian style, if you search on ebay for "Victorian shade" you'll find a slew of these shades in different shapes and some more flowery and others not so flowery. The thing is, I'm not sure why they're referred to as "Victorian" because electricity wasn't as common as gas was. And cloth shades didn't really come into popularity until the light bulb started to really work it's way into homes by the 20s. That's just from what I understand.

You'd see plenty of fringe lamp shades in the 10s to the early 30s. I really dig the more shallow pleated canopy with long thick fringe.

The glass shade you posted often times wouldn't have come with a glass bead fringe... By the looks of yours, it could be original... I've seen some original glass shades from the 10s to early 20s and most of the time they didn't have fringe.

Both shades are great, if you're looking for original cloth shades, don't. They are very rare and tough to find in any respectable condition... If you find one for cheap, you can use it as a pattern to restore and make a very special shade but, it costs money to restore these shades for some reason.

So, if you're looking for a 20s to early 30s decor, those shades will fit in rather well. Now, if you find some old lady who knows how to make shades, or at least dye, you could have it dyed in a different color and have the fringe dyed to bleed into other colors as they would have done in the period... like so:

Garden6424.JPG

betty%20peacock%20(1).JPG

Now, these are very pricey high quality examples that are made to order today, but it's nice to know this type of thing isn't totally lost but, you may look into it if you want some color on the white shade... just an idea.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I agree with the Forgotten Man. For whatever reason, cloth shades like the first one Brinybay posted are often called "Victorian" lamp shades even though they were popular during the teens through the thirties. . . which is probably just one of those "vintagisms" (like calling spots jackets "Ricky" jackets, etc).

I've also seen them described as "deco" lampshades, and "nouveau" lampshades. If you search those three terms I bet you'll find a lot of great ones! The two you posted are really cool, by the way. Even if the white one is a reproduction it's still awesome that you found it at a thrift store, nice cloth Victorian/deco/nouveau fringed lampshades usually cost BIG bucks.

Forgotten Man, where on earth did you find the two you posted pictures of? They are phenomenal!

Brinybay

Practically Family
Thanks for all the info. Guttersnipe, I'll answer for Forgotten Man because the photos show as a link in the email. http://www.vintageshades.com He wasn't kidding about being expensive. I'll be taking a good look at my white shade to see if I can find a manufacturer's name. I'm pretty sure there wasn't one, but I'm going to check it anyway.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Both shades are modern. I remember selling the glass shades for $39.95 back in the late 1970's.

I carry quite a line of reproduction shades myself, silk, rayon, linen, mica and glass, at pretty reasonable prices. PM for pics.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
Both shades are great, if you're looking for original cloth shades, don't. They are very rare and tough to find in any respectable condition... If you find one for cheap, you can use it as a pattern to restore and make a very special shade but, it costs money to restore these shades for some reason.

You're right about the originals that I've come across. Very fragile shape at best, faded and not real attractive. Learning to make them myself is an interesting idea, probably easier than learning to make and tailor a suit, but I still wouldn't know where to start.

Forgotten Man said:
So, if you're looking for a 20s to early 30s decor, those shades will fit in rather well. Now, if you find some old lady who knows how to make shades, or at least dye, you could have it dyed in a different color and have the fringe dyed to bleed into other colors as they would have done in the period.

If I can find somebody local who could do that, maybe, depending on what they charge. Otherwise I like it the way it is, it's not discolored or stained.

Brinybay

Practically Family
vitanola said:
Both shades are modern. I remember selling the glass shades for $39.95 back in the late 1970's.

I carry quite a line of reproduction shades myself, silk, rayon, linen, mica and glass, at pretty reasonable prices. PM for pics.

Funny, I was thinking maybe 70s on that glass one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart