Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Land of the LOST as a movie

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
bomb of the summer

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/08/movies/08box.html

The headache — and it was a big one — belonged to Universal Pictures and its financing partner, Relativity Media. “Land of the Lost,” a star vehicle for Will Ferrell based on the 1970s-era television show, essentially failed to have an opening, landing in third place with $19.5 million in sales. That total is disastrous for a movie that cost an estimated $200 million to produce, market and distribute worldwide.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Sid & Marty Kroft's visions

a little article on those crappy old shows & how they mightve all been movies by now

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/movies/31dave.html

31davedyna.5.190.jpg
31davepuff.4.jpg
839914587_e8259b1657.jpg

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
ARGH!

MrBern said:
Does anyone remember this EdgarRiceBurroughs B-film from the `70s?

LandThatTimeForgot.jpg

I remember seeing that movie in the theater in New York when I was a kid. I was used to seeing the Harryhausen flicks like Valley of Guangi and Jason and the Argonauts, and I can still recall my disappointment at seeing the cheesy rubber dinos. I remember sitting there once the dinos first appeared thinking "oh no! I have to sit through the rest of this crap!"

Here's a sample of the vomitous waste of celluloid:

"Learn the secrets of evolution!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co60t3ZdnVU&feature=related

I always hated the half-a$$ed at best men in rubber suits dinos and the iguana-with-glued-on-fins "effects". It was horribly disappointing to watch.

I liked Land of the Lost because they used stop motion sometimes. Does anyone remember when they were attacked by the metallic/robot dinosaur that was really just a naked stop motion armature?

Edward

Bartender
Spiffy said:
I can deal with TV shows being adapted to movies, but remakes just slay me full of sadness. Case in point: Hairspray (John Waters) v. Hairspray (starring the potentially evil John Travolta)

I was more than willing to give it a chance. The thing is that the Travolta film was not a remake, but a big screen version of the Broadway musical based on (and produced in conjunction with John Waters) of the original film. Subtle difference - see also The Producers. A very different beast, and at least as a stage show it was superb. What killed the film version of the stage show was Travolta's abysmyl performance as, well, it was supposed to be Edna Turnblad, but really it was just "John Travolta in a fatsuit". Awful. Shame that it had to be such a central role they put him in, thus ruining the entire thing - especially with the revelation that was Christopher Walken's turn as Wilbur. The last person in the world I would have thought to cast, and one of the most stunning performances I've seen the man deliver. He looked like he thoroughly enjoyed playing so far against type!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran