Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz Leathers customer services

SCANDAL

New in Town
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a good place to post this thread. I recently order a custom Columbia jacket from Langlitz Leathers. When I got the jacket the quality is really good. Their medium weight is heavy and thick. I really love the jacket but unfortunately the jacket fits too long and big. I send the jacket back and Bennie from Langlitz Leathers send me an email saying he only wants to give me $1,000 back for refund. Instead of full refund $1,585.

I told him my concerns about the jacket being too long because on their measurement instruction it says for motorcycle riding you need to add 5" to your back measurement. So I add 5" to my back measurement and that makes the jacket too long. I told him I want my full refund. That is when Bennie got mad and said they being making jacket for 73 years and they add 5" to the back length and none of them are too long for riding length. He also said he is not interested to make me another jacket later and he will write me a full refund check and mail it to me.

Did anyone have bad customer services from them? It kind makes me feel bad to ask for full refund.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
and what's definition of "back measurement"? like actually measuring your back or an actual back measurement from another jacket. 5 inches sounds crazy in either case.

if he's offering you full refund, take your money and run. Plenty of other good companies to make you a jacket out there

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a good place to post this thread. I recently order a custom Columbia jacket from Langlitz Leathers. When I got the jacket the quality is really good. Their medium weight is heavy and thick. I really love the jacket but unfortunately the jacket fits too long and big. I send the jacket back and Bennie from Langlitz Leathers send me an email saying he only wants to give me $1,000 back for refund. Instead of full refund $1,585.

I told him my concerns about the jacket being too long because on their measurement instruction it says for motorcycle riding you need to add 5" to your back measurement. So I add 5" to my back measurement and that makes the jacket too long. I told him I want my full refund. That is when Bennie got mad and said they being making jacket for 73 years and they add 5" to the back length and none of them are too long for riding length. He also said he is not interested to make me another jacket later and he will write me a full refund check and mail it to me.

Did anyone have bad customer services from them? It kind makes me feel bad to ask for full refund.

I have heard two types of stories about Langlitz customer service. One, like what you have related, and one where the customer couldn't be happier because they got it exactly right on the first attempt. They do seem to not like having to do remakes from what I hear, and probably that's because in 90% of the cases where they have to, it's due to the customer making some error, through inexperience or not understanding or second-guessing themselves. Of course, customers never make errors, being always right. But leather and labor cost money, and it can be next to impossible to sell a botched custom job to someone else for anywhere near what they normally would charge for it.

Langlitz gives pretty specific instructions on how to measure, and also show photos demonstrating the correct technique they use. You're supposed to do it with assistance, never try to measure yourself. I guess best of all would be to go in person and get measured by Langlitz staff, but not everyone can afford to take the trip out to Portland, obviously.

I've never heard anything about adding +5" to your back measurement. But I looked and sure enough, per their instructions they do indeed say to do this: "Measure from the base of your neck to the bottom of the jeans belt band, then add 5 in (13 cm) to that measurement."

Following that advice, I obtained a self-measurement (so probably inaccurate) of 21.25" + 5" = 26.25" which is about perfectly in line with what most motorcycle jackets measure in standard off-the-rack sizing, and I'm pretty much a perfect off the rack size 42R or Large. I'm about 5'9". Because of that, I've only ever needed to buy off-the-rack standard size or second-hand Langlitz gear, and I've just been patient and/or lucky to find exactly what I want.

I'm curious as to what measurement you obtained by their method. How far off is the jacket from your ideal fit? Does the jacket measure different from what you specced? When you gave them the measurements, did you tell them your height/weight and ask if the measurements you had provided sounded reasonable?

I have heard two types of stories about Langlitz customer service. One, like what you have related, and one where the customer couldn't be happier because they got it exactly right on the first attempt. They do seem to not like having to do remakes from what I hear, and probably that's because in 90% of the cases where they have to, it's due to the customer making some error, through inexperience or not understanding or second-guessing themselves. Of course, customers never make errors, being always right. But leather and labor cost money, and it can be next to impossible to sell a botched custom job to someone else for anywhere near what they normally would charge for it.

Langlitz gives pretty specific instructions on how to measure, and also show photos demonstrating the correct technique they use. You're supposed to do it with assistance, never try to measure yourself. I guess best of all would be to go in person and get measured by Langlitz staff, but not everyone can afford to take the trip out to Portland, obviously.

I've never heard anything about adding +5" to your back measurement. But I looked and sure enough, per their instructions they do indeed say to do this: "Measure from the base of your neck to the bottom of the jeans belt band, then add 5 in (13 cm) to that measurement."

Following that advice, I obtained a self-measurement (so probably inaccurate) of 21.25" + 5" = 26.25" which is about perfectly in line with what most motorcycle jackets measure in standard off-the-rack sizing, and I'm pretty much a perfect off the rack size 42R or Large. I'm about 5'9". Because of that, I've only ever needed to buy off-the-rack standard size or second-hand Langlitz gear, and I've just been patient and/or lucky to find exactly what I want.

I'm curious as to what measurement you obtained by their method. How far off is the jacket from your ideal fit? Does the jacket measure different from what you specced? When you gave them the measurements, did you tell them your height/weight and ask if the measurements you had provided sounded reasonable?
That’ll present a real problem for those in low rise jeans!

Psant25

One Too Many
I think they are getting fed up with all the remakes and refunds. I think they need to change it up and offer some stock jackets for fit etc. or post measurements of stock jackets. I really like the leather and construction but after three attempts and three fails i think i am done and they might be done with me. I asked for one remake and sold two so maybe i am not on the naughty list yet. Benny was nice to me and scott was great. I had to talk to John regarding the remake. I am sure they know their stuff but when i am told wear the jacket a year to see if the sleeves shorten 3 inches. Ahh no i dont want 3 inches of crazy sleeve creases I want a jacket that fits lol

Hh121

Banned
We are confident you will agree. To back that up, we offer a satisfaction guarantee; if its not right, we’ll make it right. We don’t want to see anyone stuck with a Langlitz that they don’t love, so we will work with you to promptly remake your custom garment, or provide a refund if needed. Ross Langlitz began with the business philosophy, build the absolute best product you can, and do right by your customers. We strive to maintain that philosophy, and uphold the standard that is synonymous with the Langlitz name.

Seems like Langlitz think they are the only one decide if the jacket is right or not, not the customer.

It just reminds me of another company: "We always try our best to meet or exceed our customer’s expiations and pride ourselves on this."

Good customer service means you are willing to admit the mistake you made.

SCANDAL

New in Town
5”?!!! That can’t be right. That makes every jacket a car coat or naval great coat! I wouldn’t order a 30” ANYTHING! What’s the back length on your jacket? Pictures please....

My friend measured my back length plus the bottom of the belt band and is 30 1/2". Sorry, I return the jacket and I didn't have the picture with jacket.

IMG-3657.jpg

SCANDAL

New in Town
and what's definition of "back measurement"? like actually measuring your back or an actual back measurement from another jacket. 5 inches sounds crazy in either case.

if he's offering you full refund, take your money and run. Plenty of other good companies to make you a jacket out there

Measure from the base of the neck to the bottom of the jeans belt band and then add 5" to that measurement.

Psant25

One Too Many
Whoa 30.5. How tall are you. I am 5 ft 11 in submitted 25 and then 26 for mine. Which was good 25 better than 26 never had a problem with that. The shoulder, sleeve length, biceps diameter was the thing that was way off for me

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Whoa 30.5. How tall are you. I am 5 ft 11 in submitted 25 and then 26 for mine. Which was good 25 better than 26 never had a problem with that. The shoulder, sleeve length, biceps diameter was the thing that was way off for me

Agreed. 30.5" sounds very long indeed, but without knowing your height, it's hard to know that. If you're, say, 6'4"-6'6" it might be reasonable.

SCANDAL

New in Town

I ask my friend to measure me and we follow their instructions. For the sleeves they are 2" too long, for front is about 3" too long, and for the back is 5" too long. The stomach area are about 4" too big but I did asked for loose fit. Yes, I told him my height and weight. I don't think I asked him if my measurement are reasonable.

Hh121

Banned
I don't think Langlitz is wrong for asking to add 5 inches from belt band of jean, I am 6 ft, the back length I got after 5 inches added is 26.5, seems right.
I think the problem will be solved if they ask to measure from neck to waistband of your underwear instead of jean.

SCANDAL

New in Town

Agreed. 30.5" sounds very long indeed, but without knowing your height, it's hard to know that. If you're, say, 6'4"-6'6" it might be reasonable.

I'm 6ft 1 in. Sounds like we made a mistake. Now I feel bad for making wrong accusation

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
^^^^ exactly that. If you're getting sick of returns, then use some common sense that 30.5 is already ringing an alarm. Check with customer to confirm. Double check against his height, etc. 2 emails or a 3 minute phone call would save a lot of hassle.

For this reason I stopped my order at SB. Could not get an answer on what a stock jacket size 42 was. There was a lot of trust us, we know, you'll see. Sorry. I'm spending $1200 much less having to wait 6 weeks. I could understand if I was asking for the secret recipe of some kind of sauce or something but telling what the p2p is shouldn't be top secret info.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
When I was considering a Langlitz, I took thier fit worksheet into a local suit shop and asked one of the taylors there if they would be so kind to measure me as per the jacket's instructions. They were so impressed that the person measuring me looked into buying one himself - just a lot more detail than most manufacturers put into getting it right.

I did nor wind up ordering aLanglitz - but using the suit shop person was very helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails