Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz Leathers customer services

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I can't understand why LL doesn't send out fit jackets, or make a test jacket in a cheap fabric that they can use to catch major errors and fine tune the fit on the actual order. It seems like such a simple thing, and when you're spending that much money on it, it only makes sense...

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m late to the party and and you guys have already said pretty much everything I would say myself. I agree that 30.5” is car coat length on most people and the fact that Langlitz did not double check this measurement with the customer is unfortunate.
HH posted the Langlitz guarantee and in my own personal experience they stood by that guarantee and made me a new jacket that fit properly. I am puzzled as to why they do not offer you a full refund if that is what you want because that is what their guarantee promises.
I also agree with Guppy that their system sure seems like it could be improved upon to benefit both them and their customers. I know this from personal experience having had two jackets made incorrectly despite my best effort’s on the second order to clarify what I was looking for in terms of fit and function.
Scandal, i’m sorry that your order with Langlitz turned out this way, when they get it right they sure do make a nice jacket!

ultrark2004

Familiar Face
I had my son take my measurements twice. When my Columbia arrived it was to short. When my Crescent arrived the arms were 2 inches too long. I sent the Crescent back & they redid the arms & arm openings & it fit great. After a couple of years I just could not stand wearing a jacket that did not fit right. Langlitz & a few others were holding a socal event & I took the coat over to them & they sat me on a stool with handlebars to check the fit. They agreed that it was too short & remade the jacket for free AFTER at least 3 years later. Unbelievable service but i agree they should make a test jacket or send you a off the rack jacket for fit. On my Crescent the jacket did not come close to fitting

Is that the size 60-whatever jacket you posted earlier? They should've made you a mock-up for a custom order like that. But regardless, what @Psant25 said; at 30" back, they ought to have realized something is off, no matter the size of the jacket.

Either way, I can understand why they don't want to re-do it. I'm surprised they even took the job without being able to physically measure you for a correct fit.

El Marro

Man, I have read more stories about Langlitz jackets fitting poorly then I have about them fitting well. Not only have I read it, I have lived it. I understand that this is probably partly due to the fact that when a new jacket fits well people just go on about their business and may not think to give credit where credit is due. Still, it makes me think that they really do need to revise their ordering process.
Perhaps Ross Langlitz was a tailoring genius who could create perfectly fitting jackets using the system they developed. It is clear that the guys who are doing it now do not have that touch.

Not gonna lie but in all honesty, I don't find Langlitz jackets to fit very good at all. Most somehow end up looking like orbs with sleeves. Even the good ones are... Okay. I think it's just a weird pattern, to avoid using the word bad as their gear is extremely comfortable, moreso than anything by any other maker, which is obviously a massive plus for a riding jacket but as far as the fit goes, I've seen maybe a handful of their jackets that fit... You know, well. Well as in flattering, cool, etc. Most fit pics have that over-sized, baggy, round vibe going on. No definite angle on any part of the jacket. Definitely not something I'd be happy with for the amount of money they charge. Dunno, just the impression I got.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Not gonna lie but in all honesty, I don't find Langlitz jackets to fit very good at all. Most somehow end up looking like orbs with sleeves. Even the good ones are... Okay. I think it's just a weird pattern, to avoid using the word bad as their gear is extremely comfortable, moreso than anything by any other maker, which is obviously a massive plus for a riding jacket but as far as the fit goes, I've seen maybe a handful of their jackets that fit... You know, well. Well as in flattering, cool, etc. Most fit pics have that over-sized, baggy, round vibe going on. No definite angle on any part of the jacket. Definitely not something I'd be happy with for the amount of money they charge. Dunno, just the impression I got.

You really shouldn't say this unless you ordered it from them to your measurements. Otherwise it just isn't relevant.

SCANDAL

New in Town
Is that the size 60-whatever jacket you posted earlier? They should've made you a mock-up for a custom order like that. But regardless, what @Psant25 said; at 30" back, they ought to have realized something is off, no matter the size of the jacket.

Either way, I can understand why they don't want to re-do it. I'm surprised they even took the job without being able to physically measure you for a correct fit.

Yes, this is the jacket I posted earlier.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
How do you mean? I'm talking about fit pics, just commenting on what I can see online. I just don't find them to be a particularly nice fitting jackets.

I read your comment to mean Langlitz jackets that you had first hand experience with, and unless you ordered it made to measure, your experience with fit isn't relevant.

If you were referring to jackets made by Langlitz, owned by others, and you're assessing fit based on the photos posted online, that's a bit different, but even less relevant.

Fit is highly subjective, and how it looks is only part of it. How it feels to wear and how it moves with your range of motion, and how it fits in a riding position is important, and not necessarily easy to assess by looking at a photo.

Beyond that, people who order custom fit from Langlitz are not all after the same thing. Some are motorcycle riders, some are S&M leather fetishists. Some want a very tight fitting second skin, some want to be able to layer in all weather. Body shapes vary widely. Some care most about how it looks, some care about how it feels and functions. And importantly, you may not necessarily know whether a photo is of a made to order jacket, or off the rack, or second hand.

I don't mean to discount your experience and knowledge about leather clothing, which I generally respect and agree with.

red devil

I read your comment to mean Langlitz jackets that you had first hand experience with, and unless you ordered it made to measure, your experience with fit isn't relevant.

If you were referring to jackets made by Langlitz, owned by others, and you're assessing fit based on the photos posted online, that's a bit different, but even less relevant.

Fit is highly subjective, and how it looks is only part of it. How it feels to wear and how it moves with your range of motion, and how it fits in a riding position is important, and not necessarily easy to assess by looking at a photo.

Beyond that, people who order custom fit from Langlitz are not all after the same thing. Some are motorcycle riders, some are S&M leather fetishists. Some want a very tight fitting second skin, some want to be able to layer in all weather. Body shapes vary widely. Some care most about how it looks, some care about how it feels and functions. And importantly, you may not necessarily know whether a photo is of a made to order jacket, or off the rack, or second hand.

I don't mean to discount your experience and knowledge about leather clothing, which I generally respect and agree with.

Very fair point, I own one langlitz jacket which I got off the rack simply because I was happy with the fit as it was

ncAgj9v.jpg

Speaking of which I should post it in the fit check thread, as I was heavier here. :)

As was mentionned, these jackets offer a range of motion I haven't seen in other vintage style jackets. I can't comment on the made to measure yet, although I want a blue jacket from them next.

jonbuilder

I wore a Langlitz jacket since shortly after I starting riding again, 20 + years ago. I always bought used Langlitz jackets and found their jackets comfortable when riding and they gave me peace of mind. I had a heavy steer hide Cascade I wore for 16 years until I ran across a 50s horsehide Cascade. The majority of my riding has been aggressively riding mountain roads. I was not concerned about the flattering or cool fit that monitor alludes to. Currently, my Langlitz jacket is a 50s midweight horsehide that drapes well and I will continue wearing my HH Langlitz even though I plan on giving up riding to concentrate on sailing and maintaining a large complicated sailboat. To monitor point My 70s heavy steer hide Cascade flared out at the helm when worn unzipped which keep me from using it as a casual jacket.

jonbuilder

One benefit of owning a Lanngliz is their customer service if your jacket needs repairs or alterations. They supply this service at very reasonable rates compared to other makers. I making this judgment based on personal experience and reading about other's alterations at Langlitz here on the forum.

I can count on one hand the number of Langlitz jackets I've seen posted here that look even remotely appealing. I feel that more often than not the shoulders are too wide and the torso too bulbous (particularly on the Cascade/Columbia). I understand people may desire those qualities but speaking purely from the standpoint of aesthetics...more often than not they miss the mark (per my personal preference). I believe a proper motorcycle jacket can both fit well/be pleasing too look at, and be functional gear. I steered my interest away from Langlitz after owing one Columbia (not custom made for me mind you) long ago.
As far as the customer service goes, they seem to do an excellent job honoring their promise. The jackets seem to hold their value very well. The trouble seems to always occur with working out the fit (based on what I've read and seen here). I would think at this point, since they do maintain some type of in house used inventory, they would see the benefit of a fit jacket process.

dannyk

One Too Many
I can count on one hand the number of Langlitz jackets I've seen posted here that look even remotely appealing. I feel that more often than not the shoulders are too wide and the torso too bulbous (particularly on the Cascade/Columbia). I understand people may desire those qualities but speaking purely from the standpoint of aesthetics...more often than not they miss the mark (per my personal preference). I believe a proper motorcycle jacket can both fit well/be pleasing too look at, and be functional gear. I steered my interest away from Langlitz after owing one Columbia (not custom made for me mind you) long ago.
As far as the customer service goes, they seem to do an excellent job honoring their promise. The jackets seem to hold their value very well. The trouble seems to always occur with working out the fit (based on what I've read and seen here). I would think at this point, since they do maintain some type of in house used inventory, they would see the benefit of a fit jacket process.
Vanson does it. Not that every Vanson ever is a perfect fit, nor are their designs as intricate and stitching/hardware as good as Langlitz. Im not comparing those facets. I just mean they can make a tough as nails, meant to ride and ride hard jacket, that also fits beautifully.

Vanson does it. Not that every Vanson ever is a perfect fit, nor are their designs as intricate and stitching/hardware as good as Langlitz. Im not comparing those facets. I just mean they can make a tough as nails, meant to ride and ride hard jacket, that also fits beautifully.
Yes indeed they do...

All good, @Guppy, but I think you're misreading some of the things I said.

I never once questioned the functionality of Langlitz jackets which, again, I find to be the best that any maker has ever been able to pull of, at least to the extent of my knowledge & experience. And I've had three of their jackets. Two Columbia's and one... One with a mandarin collar, can't recall the name atm.

Anyway, all that I have stated is merely my personal, subjective opinion, that for north of $1500, I would want my leather jacket to look a lot better on me than what I'm seeing on nearly every Langlitz fit pic posted online - including the photos that I know for a fact are those of a made-to-measure Langlitz jackets. Sure, how I feel about it isn't relevant but I don't think it's any less relevant than whatever anyone else may think about any other jacket.

Exactly what @ton312 stated - To me they just aesthetically miss the mark & no matter how well they may feel when worn, I'd never risk ordering one at a full price, if the chances I'll end up with a jacket I don't find visually pleasing on myself are this substantial.

Good jackets but all in all, not really my cup of tea is all I mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails