Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz: Why not horsehide?

Colin G

One Too Many
I have not tried their light cowhide but I have two jackets in their midweight cowhide. To my mind it is about the perfect weight for that style of jacket.

My next will be for riding and will have elbow and shoulder padding so I think the lighter weight hide (which is normal weight for most makers) will be more mobile I think. I get so hot in the summer also so I want to keep it a bit lighter.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My next will be for riding and will have elbow and shoulder padding so I think the lighter weight hide (which is normal weight for most makers) will be more mobile I think. I get so hot in the summer also so I want to keep it a bit lighter.
That makes sense Colin. The mobility in my Columbia is quite good but my Cascade is a little constricting when I am moving around a lot or working overhead. I think you’re probably on the right track here with the lighter hide.

roadking04

Practically Family
Their cowhide ages amazingly well, and is fantastic. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Guppy. I have been riding in my model "E" since last fall and the fit is just a tad off. I can't quite figure it out. I am thinking a custom Columbia is in order. I am just hoping the "medium" cow can compare to the competition weight.

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
Some Langlitz Details...

Hi all. I'm new to this forum, and this is my first posting. I hope that it is helpful.

Langlitz has a long history making leathers, specializing in motorcyling apparel. Ross Langlitz began the company in 1947, and was the first to utilize some of the most practical elements of design that have since become standard for biker wear, included an extended rear panel (as you reach for the handlebars, the jacket naturally rides up in the back), zippered sleave wrists, and a front zipper windflap, among others.

The company, still in the same factory building in Portland Oregon, now employs a third generation of family members. They continue to build jackets in the original designs (some customizing is possible, but they will only take this so far). To maintain quailty control, production is limited to about 8 jackets per day, and each one uses hides which are hand-sewn by a single seamstress. They are, is a sentance, the premiere manufacturer of leather motorcycle jackets. Portland's police department (and many others) issues Langlitz as standard protection for their motorcycle patrol officers.

As for horsehide, they do now offer it as an option -- for an additional fee of $1,200. Why so expensive? Because truly fine horsehide is difficult to come by, especially since Langlitz uses singular hides to assure that each jacket panel matches all others. This means, of course, that they need very large hides, free of imperfections. I was the first US customer in a decade to convince Dave Hanson to build a horsehide jacket. (Dave is married to Ross' daughter, and manages production). It took two years to find a suitable tannery to supply consistent hides.

Horsehide itself is only handled by a very few tanneries. It is expensive for them to buy the raw hides, is not easy to work with, and aside from extremely high-end shoes, there is very little request for horse. The largest tannery is in Chicago, where Aero Leather Company from Scotland buys its hides. I can assure you that quality varies greatly, as I spent time on the tanning floor of the factory sifting through hides for my jacket. In the end, Langlitz was able to get the best horsehide from the same source from which they buy their goat skins.

One last point regarding earlier posts on "natural death" horsehide: this law no longer exists. Still, most of the raw horsehide used in US tanneries are brought over from France. Horse is by far the most resilient of hides, and its ability to mould to the human body is unmatched. But... be forwarned that it takes much longer to "break in" than cow or goat.

I know all of this because I am a writer, and did a story about Langlitz for the Robb Report magazine in 2002. (Anyone interested may read the article at the following link: http://www.robbreportcollection.com/Articles/Wheels/Motorcycles/Motorcycles-Legend-of-Leather.asp

I should also say that I have had Langlitz build me four jackets, of varying design. Two in cowhide, one in goat, and the most recent in horse. You can probably guess which one is my favorite.

Sorry for the length of this post, but anything worth sharing should be both honest and complete.
It would be great to read this article, it the link is no longer active. Any chance for an updated link or a reprint PDF?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112