Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lanson Hubbard Boater - 7 1/8

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage Teens-20's Lanson Hubbard Boater/Skimmer

Marked size is 7 1/4 but the leather has shrunk a bit and it fits like a 7 1/8

2 3/4 inch brim

2 inch ribbon with very interesting bow treatment

3 1/2 inch crown

This is probably the earliest example of these I have come across. You can see the early patent dates of 1898 and 1904 on the sweatband.

This is a rare one gents, you're lucky it doesn't fit me!

$100 shipped within the USA

IMG_2057.jpg

pic15062.jpg

pic15063.jpg

pic15064.jpg

pic15065.jpg

pic15066.jpg

pic15067.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Is that a corrugated space between the leather band and the hat body around the full circumference of the hat? Interesting -

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'M lucky it doesn't fit me!
I think that corrugated thingy is sort of air conditioning. I think a lot of these hats had systems to suspend the hat away from the sweat band, giving cooling space. It amazes me how effective boaters are at keeping your head cool and your eyes shaded. There's a reason every man in America had one 90 years ago. And once you get over feeling like a walking anachronism (even more than with a fedora) you feel totally cool wearing one.

Garrett

Dan is correct about the corregated weaving for air flow.

I'm lowering the price of this fine Boater to $80 Shipped within the USA

Garrett

This will be the last price reduction and frankly this is a F****** deal :eek: :D

$50 shipped within USA

Warbaby

One Too Many
Really nice boater! If I hadn't bought one on eBay last week, I would've jumped on this in a heartbeat.

I'm watching it now on eBay. I don't really need (or can afford) a second boater, but...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Gee willikers

I have NEVER seen such a fine weave in a skimmer - and it's obviously shown its worth in durability. Can you imagine what such a hat would cost today, even if anyone could build one?

Now that "corrugated" bordering between the body and the sweatband - that is nothing rigid, just a netting sewn from very stout thread. It gives the sweat flexibility, as well as suspending it. Typically in modern boaters it is not made strongly and just folds up with the sweat when worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic