Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large '30s '40s Brown Pinstripe DB Suit, 42R

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
SOLD pending payment--Came across this suit on Ebay recently, and hoped it would fit me. Sadly, it doesn't--and I'm disappointed, as it's a gem.

It's from the late '30s or early '40s, I'm pretty sure, due to the styling and details. No labels that would help to date it more accurately than that--in fact, there are no labels anywhere in the suit. Beautiful vintage hourglass silhouette, with nicely shaped, gracefully upswept peak lapels. One of the things I like most about this suit is the lovely, full lapel roll that you don't see on modern suits apart from bespoke.

Fabric is a chocolate brown medium-weight wool gabardine with a silver-white bead stripe running through it. 6x2 double breasted, with besom pockets and no vent. One interior breast pocket, and the jacket has a skeleton lining with beautifully finished interior seams. The trousers are typically vintage, full-cut and high rise. They have double reverse pleats and cuffs, with very slightly dropped belt loops and suspender buttons.

The suit is in great condition, with only a couple of small flaws that I'll list here and photograph below. There is a very small (~2mm) hole in the seat of the trousers, which is very hard to see and could be left as-is or rewoven for a relatively cheap price. There is also a small scuff on the other side of the trouser seat that is even harder to see, and it doesn't even go through the fabric or anything. Finally, the lining is coming apart at the armpits, which should be a fairly easy fix for a competent tailor.

I estimate the size as around 41-42R. See measurements for specifics.

Chest: 45"
Jacket waist: 40"
Length from bottom of collar: 30"
Shoulders 18.5"
Sleeves: 25 3/4 with nothing to let out

Trouser waist: 34" + about 1.5" to let out
Outseam: 43"
Inseam: 32" with nothing to let down without losing cuffs
Knee circumference: 24"
Cuff circumference: 19"

Asking $150 shipped in the continental US; I will ship elsewhere, but it will cost more. PM if you're interested or have any questions.

DSCF5790-1.jpg
DSCF5799.jpg
DSCF5800.jpg
DSCF5803-1.jpg
DSCF5826.jpg
DSCF5824.jpg
DSCF5827.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner