Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lasting Quality?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I have been thinking a lot lately about the sheer volume of -stuff- in my life.

And the realization that probably 1/3 of it is stuff I bought on the spur of the moment and don't use because it didn't work like I thought, or isn't quite the right thing...of I used or wore once, and then realized it wasn't comfy or made well.

While I think this is a problem more common amongst women, for whom -fashion- and the media tend to enforce the 'you need this now because it will transform your life' idea...I think it does apply to both sexes.

Personally, I know that I am always on the look out for that product that will 'make it all better' magically.

So, I am making a new guideline for my self.

Buy -one- thing of quality rather then 10 similar items of lesser quality in order to somehow feel like I have a lot.

Do others do this...ie have a certain item or brand for a -thing- in your life..and when that wears out you get another just like it instead of buying a bunch of them from various manufacturers and quality levels?

Do you only use <name> of paper, or of soap? etc. Am I right in that there is a certain mental ease in knowing that you do not have to -think- about which brand to buy, or if the newer improved product really will be spiffy cool?

D...who is sure she is explaining her brain all wrong....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh gee yes -- I've been buying the same brands of household products for as long as I can remember. I wash my clothes in ground-up Fels Naptha bar soap, I only buy Scott paper towels and toilet paper, I scour my sink with Bon Ami, I brush my teeth with Arm and Hammer Baking Soda, and on and on. I don't just do this because I'm a retro luddite, either -- I do it because I know these products work, just as they've always worked, I know I'll get my money's worth, and I know I can depend on them. They might not be the latest thing, but hey -- neither am I.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am following you 100%. I think this is a good value and certainly one that our grandparents followed; buy within the extent of your means, not to impress anyone, but because it is the right thing for the application.

My grandfather bought Craftsman tools because, they were well made, easy to get, and if you broke one, they would replace it. Branding was shorthand for quality.

In my life now, I vet brands, brands I feel comfortable with to make the shopping experience quicker and easier. If I know a brand is good, well made, and has an excellent guarantee, I will stick with it. If the brand deteriorates, then I migrate to something else. I never buy brands for their own sakes.

I would rather have one good thing than to have bought three lesser things that have failed.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
There's nothing wrong with your explanation. I get it.

While I have always done this to a certain degree, it has become more important to me in the last few years. Unfortunately, conversely, for durable goods anyway, it has become harder and harder to find quality products which I would wish to purchase repeatedly and even less likely that said product will be around long enough for me to purchase an identical one when I need a replacement.:eusa_doh:

One thing that I can think of that I have bought repeatedly, and would continue to, are Timberland hiking boots. I have had several pairs over the years and in my experience they wear well, last a long time and are very comfortable. I've had my most recent pair for about 3 years, and it is time for me to replace the insoles in them, and buy a second pair. I think the style is Nellie.

I used to swear by Gap Classic jeans. But this was back when classic meant high waist and straight legs. I bought those things for years. Sadly, they were discontinued about 5 years back, and the replacement "classics" are a mid-rise flare made with substandard (to the old all cotton denim) stretch denim.

Also on my list of worth repeat purchase are Keds Classic Oxfords, Minnetonka Moccasins and Designer Original's sweater sets.

(There are also plenty of household goods and food products that could go on this list, but I was thinking durable goods.)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
My grandfather bought Craftsman tools because, they were well made, easy to get, and if you broke one, they would replace it. Branding was shorthand for quality.

As a former employee of Sears Holdings, LLC., and with connections still rooted deeply inside, I can say with certainty that Sears is no longer carrying as many tools as they used to and will be cutting back future models in an effort to reduce lifetime warranty repair. That's not to say current tools aren't as good, but Sears has replaced some hammers and multi-tools (and may soon be eliminating basics such as screwdrivers, etc.) with other brands which don't offer the same warranty so as not to be liable for lifetime replacement. That may not seem important because, like me, you're probably thinking, "Well naturally I wouldn't settle for a brand OTHER than Craftsman." However, when you break your hammer, for instance, rather than replace it with another Craftsman with lifetime warranty, you either accept the off-brand or you don't get the tool replaced. And when you complain that you will not leave the store without a replacement, they point you to the hammer aisle and advise you to find a similar hammer. You won't because there aren't any anymore. That's not a statement against Craftsman so much as Sears. It really was heartbreaking to watch a company actively alienate its dedicated customers. Having worked there for only 6 months in telephone customer service, order processing and email service, I can say without a doubt Sears is no longer a company I will EVER purchase from if I can help it. And that's all that I will say on the matter. :rage:

On another note, for the last decade, I've been purchasing Carolina "Work Tough" brand steel-toed black leather boots. Recently, they discontinued the line altogether and do not have an alternative (of which I'm aware). So, I've decided to go out on a limb and try a similar looking shoe by Dr. Scholl's. I'm not aware of what quality to expect, by I have my fingers crossed. :eek:

IndigoFanatic

New in Town
I've always been a big fan of buying something that will last over cheaper things that need to be replaced. The only problem is that they often cost more. Which isn't usually a problem unless you find something you really like, then end up spending the money on several of them when one likely would have sufficed...:rolleyes:

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A little :eek:fftopic: but I can't resist...

RE: Craftsman and Sears - It all started with Kmart going belly-up and being quickly taken over by the insurance companies that held secured notes and loans. Shareholders got zip. "Just write that investment off as a capital loss, gang!" Then the new Kmart holding company bought out Sears in pretty short order. Betcha some of you had no clue Kmart went bankrupt and now owns Sears and Lands End, didja?

So it's really not the same Sears it was "back in the day," nor even four or five years ago before the buy-out. Now they're just like the rest - nobody in big business gives a hoot about integrity and customer satisfaction - let's all sell the same worthless crap, and as long as the bottom line looks good, we're fine.

And yet they'll all wonder why they lose market share when someone else comes along that does offer customer satisfaction and better product...but not to worry...they'll just buy them out like Gap did with Banana Republic (to name but one), rebrand them, start selling the same crap there...and nobody will notice. Uh huhn. Right.

If you can't compete on a level playing field - and you're big enough - you can buy the competition and then whine to the government (be that local, state or federal) and someone will give you tax cuts & bail-outs because heaven forbid a badly run big business be "allowed" to fail. They'll leave that to the mom & pop's that DO try to compete fairly.

Foofoogal

Banned
I also will stay loyal to something that works. The best product I have ever bought in my opinion is Revereware.
http://www.revereware.com/
I know why it has been around since 1801. I still have some I bought in 1975. Now it is well known that stainless steel is good to cook on. Never went the rubber coated route. didn't have a parakeet either.
I also still have a Sears Kenmore dryer from 1978 still going strong. Honey has changed the belt a few times is all. The older dryers actually had metal tubs.
Mike. I agree 100% .
One day people will probably not know quality at all.

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government will be upon his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
I always try to buy the best even if it means saving up for some time,but the satisfaction on buying and having years of service from a quality item gives me buzz.They say if you don"t use anything at least once every six months you should get shot of it i think this rule for 95 % of things ring true.Less is more

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I have some brand loyalty, but mostly out of price and convenience.

I'm a tactile person, and I can often tell by feeling something whether it's high quality. Smooth, heavy objects with a consistent finish are usually good. Seams and joinery should not have waves or gaps. Scratches and dings are OK as long as the object is well made.

Of course, with electronics, it's hard to tell. Cnet.com has useful reviews, but these are often written when the product is new.

I won't get the first of anything on the market (usually).

The country of origin can offer clues. My Italian made eyeglasses are wonderful--I've gotten a lot of compliments on them, and they're so comfortable I hardly feel them. My Israeli made shoes--ditto. As for China, the quality is all across the spectrum.

Another brand-loyalist--they may not be vintage, but my 5.11s are tough--just for the heck of it, I once wore the same shirt for two weeks straight and the only way to tell it had seen any unusual wear was a few wrinkles, easily ironed out.

Dell laptops, I know there are higher-performance out there but I stick with 'em because they're one of the last makers to use a "hard BIOS"--HP/Compaq et al like "soft BIOS" because it's less hardware to buy--the catch is a "soft BIOS" is a file on your hard drive, which if the drive gets corrupted goes belly-up with it. Goodbye computer, helloooo paperweight! Also, I stick to Zip-Linq for my computer-cables due to their being the original retractable-cable maker.

For scale-model stuff, I've stuck to Ambroid ProWeld glue for their record of performance, and to the Life-Like/Walthers Proto series of model locomotives.

Lego? It's Lego--'nuff said, even if it's a little past it's peak--the company does appear to be trying to produce some "serious" sets again, though, even if not quite up to the level of a Black Seas Barracuda or Skull's Eye Schooner yet. (Have I completely and totally outed myself as "GEEK" yet?:eek: lol)

Basically, show me loyalty and a record of reliability, and I'll be a loyal customer. Show me otherwise, and I'll respond appropriately to that too...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Foofoogal said:
I also will stay loyal to something that works. The best product I have ever bought in my opinion is Revereware.

Another fan of Revereware here -- my Revere tea kettle is the most durable, most aesthetically pleasing piece of kitchenware I've ever bought new. Classic styling, classic quality, and it amazes me you can still buy it at any mall for twenty bucks or so.

As far as heavy goods go, the only refrigerator I've ever owned is a 1945 Kelvinator, built by fine union craftsmen in Kenosha, Wisconsin. I've owned it for twenty-one years now, and haven't paid a cent for service. My mother's gone thru three modern fridges over that same span, all wearing the logos of famous brands that used to be good but now are chintzy planned-obsolescence junk.

Flivver

Practically Family
I'm still cooking with the set of Revereware my parents got as a wedding gift in 1944.

My parents also bought a Kelvinator refrigerator in late 1945 to replace the ice box they had been using. When my mom got a new GE refrigerator with a big freezer in 1959, the Kelvinator was relegated to a beach house my family owned on Cape Cod. It was still going strong when they sold that house in 1967.

DerMann

Practically Family
There are very few brands I'm loyal to yet, but only because I haven't had that much real world experience (college student and all that).

So far, I'm quite dedicated to the following companies:

AMD/ATI- For those of you not familiar with this company, they produce computer processors (AMD) and video cards (ATI). Ever since I built my first computer, I had a dual core AMD processor and a shiny red ATI graphics card. AMD has always been synonymous with affordable and powerful processors. For the longest time ATI had the best cards money could by and still produce high quality products. AMD acquired ATI a few years ago, so it's one company now.

ASUS and Logitech - ASUS produces computer components, and are renowned for their motherboards. Not only are the motherboards built to last and have scores of helpful features, they are backed by great customer service and warranties. Logitech makes amazing mice and keyboards. From the lowly MX310 I bought as my first optical mouse to the amazing MX Revolution that I have now, these mice are amazing.

NewEgg.com - The most amazing retailer I've dealt with in my short time on this planet. They retail mostly computer hardware, but they do it with such a zealous fervor that it's amazing. The customer is always treated very well and orders are filled with amazing speed and accuracy. Once I bought a memory card for a phone. When I received it, I realised I bought the wrong one. I called an asked to return it for a refund. Since it was only $10 or so, they refunded me completely (including shipping) and told me to keep it.

LandsEnd - One of the few mail order clothing companies still in existence. They have magnificent customer service and fill orders with amazing speed. The products they carry are usually classically styled and very tasteful - not to mention that they are very well constructed and wildly affordable.

Zippo - American made since the late 1920s. Their lifetime warranty is still unconditional and applies to any lighter - regardless of age or owner. Rare to see guarantees like this anymore. Parker, Sheaffer and other pen manufacturers will not 'repair' antique pens unless it is the original owner (with proof), and even then they will replace it with a modern pen of inherently less value and quality.

Ivory soap - Smells amazing, feels great, it's cheap, and it hasn't changed for decades. Still use it everyday.

Parker, Sheaffer and Waterman - These names are probably familiar to members on this board. Although I'm not a huge fan of their modern products, these pen manufacturers offered the most advanced and useful writing instruments in their heyday. Parker is my favourite brand, though, love the Duofold Senior a little too much.

Noodler's - A modern fountain pen ink company run by an entrepreneur in Massachusetts. He tirelessly creates new and better inks that are both cheaper and of higher quality than other ink manufacturers. Now if he only made pens...

Google - Although I've never paid for their services, this is one company I cannot leave out. Google, Google Mail, Google Talk, and now even Google Chrome have been of so much use to me that I'd be lost without them.

There's probably a couple dozen more, but I doubt they're very important, so that's all for now, I guess.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Funny how...everyone immediately went towards durable goods.

I was not even actually thinking about those, but more about semi durable...clothes, shoes....etc...and even household items....

I just do wonder that even in household non durable...if having a brand for things....requires less mental energy then trying to constantly see if something new is -better- then what you use now.....?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I third the Revereware recommendation - my mom has some, and it's lasted forever.

There's another factor, which I've been thinking about lately: the gap between "cheap" (aka poor quality, non-durable) and "quality" (long-lasting, sturdy, repairable or maintainable) products. Is it just me, or has the pricing gap become prohibitive to those looking to pay middle-of-the-road prices? To me, it seems like you can only get "cheap" stuff unless you're willing to make a stratospheric jump in price. Then, and only then, do you get the quality you'd expect from a moderately high priced item in the past. I'd love to hear other opinions on this, though.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I think because we buy so many things that are designed to be used up, that we accept a lower standard than we ought to. Ballpoint pens vs. fountain pens for example. I don't mind spending money to get quality, but I hate to spend it twice because the first thing wasn't up to the job.

Foofoogal

Banned
I hate to spend it twice because the first thing wasn't up to the job.

I have a brother that tells the salesclerks "no" when they ask him if he wants warranty insurance. He states to them that it should last and if it doesn't he just will not buy their product again. lol

Shoes are definitely one thing that it pays to get better also. A good pair of leather shoes will outlast 5 junk pairs.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Foofoogal said:
Shoes are definitely one thing that it pays to get better also. A good pair of leather shoes will outlast 5 junk pairs.

I swear by Clinic shoes -- they aren't fashion-forward, with the whole sensible oxford thing, but generations of nurses can't be wrong. (Their "Coquette" style is my all time favorite everyday footwear.) Plus they're among the very few brands of shoes still union-made in the USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo