Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest Acquisition

Wild Root

Gone Home
Nice hat JP! And just think, you didn't have to put it on your wrack.

Any way, it's a real nice hat and it's vintage felt yes?
Geez, that's something!

Have fun with that fine lid!

Root.

Originally posted by Wild Root
Nice hat JP! And just think, you didn't have to put it on your wrack.

It is a hat stretcher/dryer and not a rack. :D I will think of you next time I size up a 7 1/4 up to 7 5/8. :p LOL LOL

Originally posted by Wild Root
Any way, it's a real nice hat and it's vintage felt yes?
Geez, that's something!

Yep it is a vintage felt body. Art cranked up the time machine again and got some really nice bodies. No fuzzy hat here. LOL LOL

Regards to all,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Must be my monitor...it looks peach colored!

Beautiful hat though, J. and Art!

BTW, what vintage bodies did you get in???

Brad

Boy, I thought my monitor was cheap. LOL
I think Art has one more body this color left so.....
The Gallant (my name for it) is actually a tan or silverbelly color. The ribbon around the crown is a complementary tan shade and the bound edge is just a shade lighter. The difference is almost unnoticeable unless you look closely. That is the kind of detail I like since I am partial to many of the Whippet designs. Sort of like the one in this picture I drew---yeah right! LOL LOL

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
HI Brad,
On a trip to Seattle last month I scored 8 bodies from Oregon. Three were the peach color, 4 are Silverbelly, one grey. This one is actually SB and I am sure it is beaver as it is the tightest felt I have ever worked with. These were so old ( I believe 1930s) that they had yellowed a bit and had to clean them first. Two of them have Cav edges but are fairly small. The grey should work up to a 7 - 7 1/8 and a Silverbelly that I might get 1/4 out of, but the two beaver I have left will go larger sizes.

JP...Gallant??

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
No SB Cav edge to squeeze up to 7 3/8? Durn it all. That might have sufficed as a William Powell hat. That vintage Silverbelly of J's looks nice, though. Good job!

Brad

up196

A-List Customer
Very nice . . .

That's a great hat! I'm jealous and I want one, but I won't be making any big purchases for a while (check your PM, you'll understand why).

By the way, thanks for posting your drawing of me wearing the Whippet. It really came out nice LOL LOL LOL . . . Tom

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Wow, wow, wow, Art my compliments to you sir, that is a fine work indeed. I love the color and ribbon work, as well as the look of the felt body, it looks wonderful. Expect business from me my friend.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you gentlemen!!!

G, I have a light grey and a Silverbelly waiting for you!!:)

Andy, I KNEW you were going to want one so it went onthe block Sunday!!

I think the burgundy background may be messing with the color on some monitors. It is a tan ( silverbelly) with silverbelly ribbon and "light" silverbelly brim binding. With the exception of the leather & liner everything is vintage!!

myronw

New in Town
Hi Jamespowers and Art,

Boy that is a sweet looking hat! How do you both like the vintage felt? I know I sure like the hat Charlie made for me from one of his vintage bodies! With the shortage of decent hats on ebay, and especially the difficulty finding the size and style you want, I think that we're all very fortunate that Art and Charlie have been able to find some of the "new old stock" bodies and turn them into modern day masterpieces.

I doubt that there are be too many more of them around, so I'm definitely going to get at least one more of them made when I get some more funds saved up! The chance to have a brand new, custom made "old" hat doesn't come along every day. Well, I guess it will come along every day until the vintage bodies run out; but what happens then? Then we have to go back to settling for someone else's choice of a hat on ebay, or having a hat made from new felt.

Don't get me wrong... I love the hats that I have with modern felt, too; but for the forseeable future at least, there will always be modern felt. The supply of fifty, sixty, and more year old bodies has to be limited, to say the least.

Please tell us more about what you think of the Vintage felt specifically, if you would... Do you both like it better than your "new" felt? How was it to work with, Art?

Inquiring minds want to know,

Myron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace