Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest ebay purchse - Bill Kelso M422 in goat .... 44"

Plumbline

One Too Many
ok .. the pics

1st The Back ...

The Front ...

The Side ...

I really like it .. it's extremely comfortable to wear and I could get a sweater underneath.

My Aero M422a had strange armholes which sort of meant that the chest always lookes a little pulled accross the chest ... and my Eastman G-1 was as long in the sleeve but more saggy so when I wore it it looked like I didn't have woolen cuffs at all. I guess I could get it shortened in the sleeve but I like it and it's like wearing a jumper :)

All in all not bad for under £300 ( £270 + £10 postage as ebay would verify :) ) and at that money I "could" have some fun with it re. modifications or weathering .... I might even try the washing machine treatment on it :)

majormajor

One Too Many
PL - I know you'll disagree, but that is one HUGE jacket. Not surprised you are trying to hide the cuffs. Get a sweater underneath? You could get a friggin' spacesuit under there....

But it's your jacket - so hey - enjoy it, man:D;)

Edward

Bartender
I've been looking at the BR Seawater wash N1 myself...and yep, the price is certainly a stopper.
I recently bought a used Good Wear "Tanker" jacket...one of two that JC made. I have owned a couple of repro Tanker jackets over the years....this one is far and away the best. Thick, soft wool lining, fit that isn't baggy, tapered sleeves, first rate knits.
I understand they aren't a "financially viable" product for GW, as folks are reluctant to pay for a cloth jacket what they are for a leather one.

(I've had my eye on the Aero "Thunder Bay" too....)

My Tanker is a Spearhead, though it's not the standard, but a copy of the civilian model Bobby Deniro wore as Travis Bickle. Still need to get the 'Bickle T' stenciled on the back, though...

Supposedly BK has "corrected" the design, and "upgraded" the leather since I got my jacket. (Didn't do me much good. :( ). I Haven't heard any reports from folks who have the "new and improved" jacket who have experience with vintage M422's/G1's to compare with.

Have to admit I'm rather confused.... they sold the new changes hard, almost to the point where I'd be wary of the previous model. They look good, though. The US Navy flyboys in WW2 seemed, as a rule, to like their jackets that bit baggier than the AAF with their A2s. The much more tapered cut of the design (as compared to an A2) can necessitate going up a size.

Edward, I can't vouch for quality or authenticity, but here is a version for $65 black or olive green:

Thanks, looks like a nice jacket in and of itself.

majormajor

One Too Many
Thanks Major ... positive as always .... :)

Nothing negative at all to say about the jacket, mate. Looks a very nice thing. Kudos to Mr Falzon.

But hanging down almost to your crotch at the front?:eeek:

It doesn't fit you, mate........

plbig2.jpg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
When I showed my M-422a to my dad, he remarked it "looked small".
So I attempted to find a picture on google images of a neat-fitting 22a from WWII to show him, and I came up dry. Most of the wartime examples I've seen show a relaxed fit. To the point of us probably recommending a smaller size for them!

Think yours is long?

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Plumb, re: the washing machine treatment, does goat have the same potential to shrink/enhance the graining as horse or steer? or would you be looking to remove the odors you mentioned earlier

Yeah, hate to say it, but it's way too big. You could always try a HWT, but you might be better off flipping and getting one two sizes down...

Plumbline

One Too Many
Probably just the smell of cigarettes Boyo .... I REALLY like the fit so I don't think it needs shrinking. In fact I'd be hoping it didn't shrink any as it would then be too small IMHO ( not in the opinion of the small jacket fans .. but certainly in mine).

The length is good also in relation to most M422 pics I've seen and also to how I want it to FEEL.

According to some on the lounge ALL my jackets are too big ... and there are LOTS of them .... it's maybe a "me" thing ..... and it's OK I can live with it :D

The REAL laugh is I actually tink it's NEAT fitting :D :D

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
According to some on the lounge ALL my jackets are too big ...

Not just on here, PL

Here's Buck Rickson's idea of an M422 fit.

buzzm422.jpg

The difference in the relationship between the bottom of the Buzz jacket and the jeans (in both front and rear shots), compared with yours, is immense.

I am old enough to remember wearing leather flying jackets as big as yours, myself. But that WAS 25 years ago. Even Eastman made them that shape back then...:D;)

If you're happy, great. But again, if people come here and post up and ask, you'll be given the collective 2¢.
People like different things.
Shirts tucked/untucked.
Sneakers and shorts with jackets.
Tight fit.
Loose fit.
Black.
Brown.
Black & Brown.
Knits.
No knits.
Etc, etc.
Enjoy it!

Plumbline

One Too Many
Thanks for the fashion lesson MM ... I'll pass .... I like me better :)

But hey .... keep em coming .... if you think this is big you should have seen me in an A-2 :D :D :D

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I purchased an MA1 last month (well made modern creation by G&B) that fitted great in the upper body but with a 'WAIST' band that hung down to my backside. My brother was beside himself with the wonderful fit of this garment & couldn't understand why I flipped it onto E-Bay. Mind, an L2B that stopped at my navel ended up on the Bay too.

Purchased a G1 back in the 90s from Cirrus Leathers with long sleeves & ended up turning the cuffs back, wore it during my student days but finally flipped it after a ten year relationship (never felt quite right).

My current Nautical jacket is an ELC M422, fits in the body like the BR (my personal preference, my brother can't understand it.."far too short"), tapered but spacious in the upper body allowing for layers if required. Sleeves initially covered cuffs which I decided I couldn't live with. Ended up having sleeves shortened.

Those cracking pictures of your jacket Plumbline have given me the kick up the backside I needed to chase up the painters (M422 currently with a nose-art artist & has been for the best part of a year) Have phoned up & arranged a 'finished by' date. Looking forward to getting my Goat-skin back.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Must just share this, when I was a very young man & the bug first bit I passionately wanted an Irvin. The internet hadn't been invented yet (I don't think...80s). The local 'vintage shop' (only one I knew of) knew a woman that allegedly made custom leather jackets (didn't see any samples). Measurements were duly taken (as was a large deposit).

Several months later I got a call to say my 'Irvin' was ready for collection. Much excitement followed & a bus ride down into town to collect this wonderful garment. "Irvin" went down to my knees and the collar was a 'hide end' & shaped like part of the globe. In a severe case of the 'Emperor's New Clothes' a young me was subjected to 'oohs & aahs;' from the shop owner & his 'sixth form' assistants.

I proudly wore this 'thing' home & was asked by my mother why I felt the need to dress as a 'caveman'. I could have fitted the cave-man's family in there too. The 'Irvin' went back to the vintage shop the following day. An angry me realized an N2B 'on account'. The 'Irvin' was eventually purchased by a 'viking' (shop-owners words ..not mine). I lost a bit of money..but learned a valuable lesson.

images.jpeg

andyfalzon

Vendor
It seems fit is a matter of personal preference.

utenant_commander_thomas_f_connolly_a_navigator.png

vp118crew1_01_10sep2004.jpg

vt_15a.jpg

Attachments

• utenant-commander-thomas-f-connolly-a-navigator-and-the-squadron-commander-respectively-for-an-a.jpg
    utenant-commander-thomas-f-connolly-a-navigator-and-the-squadron-commander-respectively-for-an-a.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 264
  • vp118crew1_01_10sep2004.jpg
    vp118crew1_01_10sep2004.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 274

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart