Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest ebay purchse - Bill Kelso M422 in goat .... 44"

Re; fit....as long as you are happy with it, it's a win.

Your jacket looks like it fits you the way my BK fits me, with the same character of leather.
Unfortunately, I discovered I am not a fan of BK's M422 interpretation.

If the leather on my BK was softer/more compliant like that on my other M422's, I could live with the long body length of my jacket.
The arm length and overall torso size/back size/lack of taper (Yep. Could fit a spacesuit under mine) would still drive me nuts, no matter how good the leather was.
All my vintage M422's and G1's...no matter their body length...have a relatively tapered torso. Perfect arm length for me is with the knits extending below the leather cuffs without significant tunneling.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My Tanker is a Spearhead, though it's not the standard, but a copy of the civilian model Bobby Deniro wore as Travis Bickle. Still need to get the 'Bickle T' stenciled on the back, though...

Interestingly, De Niro's clothes belonged to Taxi Driver's writer Paul Schrader.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Plumbline looks like he's only wearing a t-shirt in the photo; that could contribute to the perceived oversize fit of the jacket. WWII M-422 jackets are known to be longer in the body then later model G-1 jackets; in that regard the BK seems authentic to a true WWII-spec jacket.

WWII servicemen got issued gear. As has been said, there's two sizes in the military.
Too big.
Too small.
The jacket doesn't fit. I've seen enough, worn enough, and listened enough here to see that. But he likes it so he should enjoy it. I just ain't gonna agree :)

Plumbline looks like he's only wearing a t-shirt in the photo; that could contribute to the perceived oversize fit of the jacket. WWII M-422 jackets are known to be longer in the body then later model G-1 jackets; in that regard the BK seems authentic to a true WWII-spec jacket.

I own several vintage WW2 M422's/G1's, 1950's and early 60's G1's and can tell you they don't fit like that. Even the ones that are a bit longer on me.
The torso doesn't balloon out. It tapers.
I am short for most WW2 size 44's....yet their sleeves don't tunnel that much on me.

The leather is very pliable/soft on vintage jackets. In part because of their age...but I suspect in large part because of the quality of leather they use. My GW M422/G1's are similar to my vintage jackets in this regard...despite being "new".

The leather on My BK M422 is very stiff. The drape on this BK M422 looks the same. I believe this accentuates the BK's body/arm length issues and bulbous torso design.

You would have a very hard time telling my GW M422 from a mint condition WW2 M422.
There is no way you would ever pick up my BK M422 and mistake it for a vintage 1940's M422.

I wonder how much it shrunk with the HWT. I don't get the impression goat shrinks as much as HH/Steer.
I have HWT a pair of Aero FQHH jackets. Very little shrinkage. I did a USWings G-1 and it shrunk a lot! It's goat, and a decent hide too. I'd be more afraid now to do the goat than HH. YMMV.I wonder why Andrew didn't return it rather than HWT it? Seems out of character for him...

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Here's a G&F I used to own. It's size 44 dimensions are identical to my current ELC

Zip 23"
chest 24"
waist 21"
arm 26"
shoulder 20"
back 26.5"

What is the zip length of mr Plumbline's BK ?

I'm probably wasting bandwidth, but it's obvious mr Plumbline is a 42/44S NOT a R or L

(ignore the guy on the left in the m-444)

Last edited:
Beating on my dead horse now....
It's not so much the torso length that is a problem for me. It's the arm length and the leather used.
Comparing the jackets in this photo to my BK what I notice most is the leather these guys jackets is made out of actually creases rather than "bends", and they don't look like they are wearing tents.
Put them in stiff leather with a barrel shaped torso design and they would look a lot different.

Basically the jackets in these photos look like they fit. As do my vintage M422's/G1's/GW repros.
For several reasons, my BK does not.

Last edited:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Vintage catalogues give a good idea of what the designers original intentions were. Mr Plumbline has access to such illustrations so I find it totally baffling he persists with the sack of potatoes look

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I tried the 1940's fit ...

It just FEELS too small .... and I accept the opinion some of you guys have, but having tried that 1920's / 30's / 40's fit .. for me ... it just feels too small. A bit like high waist trousers or jeans they just feel wrong and uncomfortable. A 42S in a suit is my size .... but a 42S leather jacket - from most manufacturers - feels like a straightjacket TBH.

This feels long in the arms by 1-11/2" but feels good everywhere else .... it's great to see you opinions - it really is - good or bad and the fashion commentary .. but comfortable is good. If it isn't comfortable I simply won't wear it.

Thanks for the comments Jeff .. TBH I've seen just as many pics of G-1 / M-422's and M-422a's to know that there is no "right" fit .... these guys wore what they were given ( big or small ) and swapped / traded if they could. I really like the BK hide .... maybe it could be a little softer but then it's not really that different to the goat of both my Aero M422a or my Eastman G-1. Will it ever be on a par with one of JC's ... no, but then it's 1/2 the price. I guess you get what you pay for.

It goes in the washing machine to get rid of the cigarette smell this afternoon ... wish me luck :D :D

pauleway

Practically Family
It just FEELS too small .... and I accept the opinion some of you guys have, but having tried that 1920's / 30's / 40's fit .. for me ... it just feels too small. A bit like high waist trousers or jeans they just feel wrong and uncomfortable. A 42S in a suit is my size .... but a 42S leather jacket - from most manufacturers - feels like a straightjacket TBH.

This feels long in the arms by 1-11/2" but feels good everywhere else .... it's great to see you opinions - it really is - good or bad and the fashion commentary .. but comfortable is good. If it isn't comfortable I simply won't wear it.

Thanks for the comments Jeff .. TBH I've seen just as many pics of G-1 / M-422's and M-422a's to know that there is no "right" fit .... these guys wore what they were given ( big or small ) and swapped / traded if they could. I really like the BK hide .... maybe it could be a little softer but then it's not really that different to the goat of both my Aero M422a or my Eastman G-1. Will it ever be on a par with one of JC's ... no, but then it's 1/2 the price. I guess you get what you pay for.

It goes in the washing machine to get rid of the cigarette smell this afternoon ... wish me luck :D :D
My brother likes his jackets to fit a little on the large side also, so to each there own. You have to make yourself feel comfortable. I had an old co-worker who once looked at my new work boots and thought they looked too big, comment to me - "So you take a size 9, 10's felt so good, you got 11's"!:D:eusa_clap

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
My brother likes his jackets to fit a little on the large side also, so to each there own. You have to make yourself feel comfortable. I had an old co-worker who once looked at my new work boots and thought they looked too big, comment to me - "So you take a size 9, 10's felt so good, you got 11's"!:D:eusa_clap

Reminds me of a "story" about an old Russian guy who's life was so miserable that he bought shoes 3 sizes too small so that he'd have something to look forward to when he took them off in the evening.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I seem to have been growing steadilly since I gave up boxing back in '99

only not upwards :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Must just share this, when I was a very young man & the bug first bit I passionately wanted an Irvin. The internet hadn't been invented yet (I don't think...80s). The local 'vintage shop' (only one I knew of) knew a woman that allegedly made custom leather jackets (didn't see any samples). Measurements were duly taken (as was a large deposit).

Several months later I got a call to say my 'Irvin' was ready for collection. Much excitement followed & a bus ride down into town to collect this wonderful garment. "Irvin" went down to my knees and the collar was a 'hide end' & shaped like part of the globe. In a severe case of the 'Emperor's New Clothes' a young me was subjected to 'oohs & aahs;' from the shop owner & his 'sixth form' assistants.

I proudly wore this 'thing' home & was asked by my mother why I felt the need to dress as a 'caveman'. I could have fitted the cave-man's family in there too. The 'Irvin' went back to the vintage shop the following day. An angry me realized an N2B 'on account'. The 'Irvin' was eventually purchased by a 'viking' (shop-owners words ..not mine). I lost a bit of money..but learned a valuable lesson.

View attachment 1493

SPEW!!!!! (Coffee over keyboard) Man that was priceless! "Caveman" Priceless, just priceless! I've got tears in my eyes... Thanks for sharing man. Made my day!

Worf

pauleway

Practically Family
Reminds me of a "story" about an old Russian guy who's life was so miserable that he bought shoes 3 sizes too small so that he'd have something to look forward to when he took them off in the evening.
This is why I enjoy this forum so much!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart