Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest Project: Mycustomtailor Suit!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
Hello Mr. H, I was sorry to hear that, as we discussed before; I think I just got lucky!

Thanks! Navy is a great color, especially solid navy. I went with brown to match my vintage Borsalinos and my two brown Adventurebilts.
Yes, two pockets. It does make for a clean look, and I like the fabric back, though silk would make the jacket slide on and off better, wouldn't it?
The Spectators are from Pediwear and a post on them may be found here. I love these shoes!
The suede wingtips are from J.Crew, BTW. :)

Right, my order's going in to Pediwear ASAP. That seals it!

Will post pics, it is solid navy. Bad cut on vest - v was too low and you can't tell I'm wearing it under the coat.

H.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mr. 'H' said:
Did you just specify 44L or did you give them all the laborious details of each and every measurement?
Oh, man, you asked me that and it slipped my mind! :eusa_doh:
Sorry.
The answer is: yes and no!
I told them I was a 44L. I also told them that my chest measured 42", my waist 40", and my belly (where my pants lie) is 38". Then I told them that my pants size is 38" X 32" and this 32" measurement turned out to be too long.
I told them my neck was 16" and my sleeve size was 35". That's it. I didn't do all of the inseam outseam measurements.

I am glad I didn't. It didn't confuse the issue!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, and Pediwear is awesome. I am so thoroughly happy with them. I can't wait to get another pair, perhaps the black and whites or a solid pair of black wingtips. -Great company!

Let me know what your experience with them is like. ;)

Zach R.

Practically Family
Well, I ordered me one today, and the only requests I put were: "Higher waisted pants than normal with a higher rise. NO belt loops on pants, will use suspenders. Pants with little taper from top to bottom - wide-legged pants." I also requested working buttons on the sleeves.

I used the off-the-rack option and put in the basic measurements, we'll see how it turns out in a few weeks.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Zach R. said:
Higher waisted pants than normal with a higher rise.

Pardon my ignorance: what is "higher rise" as opposed to higher waisted? You mean the most narrow spot is the waist, this is higher, and apart from that, above the waist, there's more fabric still?

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I see. (And understand. I wear normal suit trousers rather high, and as most of them aren't made for that, I'd certainly make that wish clear when ordering a suit.)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
By the way, Zach, your avatar is a great picture of a great looking bloke. (And I'm not bi- or homosexual.) Mr Connery would probably look good even in a 1970s eggplant-coloured party suit and a polyester toupee.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
By the way, Zach, your avatar is a great picture of a great looking bloke. (And I'm not bi- or homosexual.) Mr Connery would probably look good even in a 1970s eggplant-coloured party suit and a polyester toupee.

Thanks. Coincidentally, the next suit on my list is definitely Indy Magnoli's Goldfinger repro.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Detractor.

As opposed to Sean Connery, I think Roger Moore always looks clumsy whatever he's wearing.

By the way, I think Dalton was the second best Bond. I couldn't take Brosnan serious after Remington Steele. (Disclaimer: I'm not taking Bond seriously anyway.) And though I don't like the very little I've seen of Robbie Williams, I think he'd be a very good Bond in the Connery/Dalton tradition.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Even though this is completely:eek:fftopic: I agree. Dalton and his films were vastly underrated, and they brought the franchise the closest to its literary roots that it has ever been since FRWL.

Oh, I'm a huge Remington Steele fan as well.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just saw this thread and found it interesting. I have purchased two suits from RavisTailor.com . Looking at several of the web sites, I think three or four of these guys are the same people, just different names. Don't know why they do that, but ...

Anyway, I am a rather "difficult to fit" kind of guy, and find it very hard to be able to buy a suit "off the rack". Not too many stores (at least in my area) carry 58 extra longs, and if you ask for a three piece suit, well you just get a blank stare. So, I tried ordering a suit from RavisTailor.com . The turn around time was very good (three or four weeks), and the suit fit me very well. I was pleased with the quality and workmanship. It doesn't look or feel like a $1000 suit, but then it isn't a $1000 suit. However, for the price, I was very satisfied.

I will be ordering another suit from them, and may try the "Hollywood drape", although I really don't have the "body style" to make that cut look like it really should. I would be interested in hearing from any others (especially big guys) who have ordered this style suit.

Bottom line - for a big man, the folks at RavisTailor.com can make a decent suit at a reasonable price.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
In terms of bond movies, i agree.

But he looked really sharp in The Saint (he was The Saint, right? Hopefully i'm not revealing my ignorance) ...

bk

I once found a lightweight, grey flannel suit made for Roger Moore in the mid-1950s by Warner Bros. Costumers. (He must have been very, very young then!) It was a single-breasted model with peak lapels. The most beautiful tailoring I've ever seen. About a size 42 Long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred