Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest Project: Mycustomtailor Suit!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Originally posted by: Wild Root
I've worn a custom made belted back suit on my Mission in Canada where the clothing guide lines are very strict...

The clothing guidelines in Canada are strict!?! Folks at my college must have missed the memo. :)

Zach R.

Practically Family
After an extended hang-up in customs, and after having traveled around the world twice, my suit should be here within the week *knocks on wood*.:p

I'll be sure to give a full review and maybe some pics once it gets here.

Zach R.

Practically Family
FINALLY!

It has arrived.

Much better quality than I was expecting. The rise comes up to my belly-button and it gives it a pretty clean line, which isn't possible with other modern suits.

They didn't leave the belt loops off like I asked, but that is the only complaint I have.

Expect an extended review and pictures later when I get home.

Mack the Knife

New in Town
Spectator Shoes

Hemingway Jones:

Love the suit! I am currently pursuing an order with mycustomtailor as well. Have the measurements done, just need to pick out a pattern/style. I see you went with the "Hollywood" style. That is along the lines of what I am looking for, as I understand it: a classic look c. 1930. Perhaps other styles may fit better. I am going for a three-piece, pinstripe, likely a deep brown.

I noticed in your first set of pics you were wearing spectator shoes. Where did you find those!?? I am looking for a pair of dark brown spectator shoes to wear with the suit, but can't seem to find any.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to where to find spectator shoes? I have seen some black/white. However, brown/white is harder to find. Separately, I assume it's good fashion sense to have the shoes a dark shade or the same shade of brown as the suit?? Thanks.

Mack

Mack the Knife

New in Town
Yeah I read the post from Senator Jack. That is quite a story. That does give me some pause, but I am hoping that is more the exception than the rule. I suppose I'm not afraid to throw myself out there and be one of the guniea pigs.

My favorite fabric is the 2199 dark brown (can be found on their other site... www.mysuitshop.com), although that seems a bit "flairish" with the chalk pinstripes. I look very Italian, with pitch black hair, so if I go for a little more flair I can already hear the comments esp. since I want a three-piece with a vest and peak lapels. But, ahhhh...at least I'd have STYLE! :)

I'll keep you posted on this. And thanks for the link to the shoes. Wow, are those nice! I think I might have to go for a pair of those.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good luck with it Mack. I sincerely wish you the best.

When it comes to fabric, select what you like. Forget about the comments. Simple minded people will always comment from their limited frames of references.

Oh, and I cannot say enough about the shoes, but then it is all in the other thread.

Mack the Knife

New in Town
Thanks Hemingway. It may be a few months yet, but I'll be happy to post an update of my experience with the mfc. Picking a fabric will be a tough one because there are a lot I like--but that's the fun part.

Any fashion tips for the spectator shoes? Or do they go with just about any shade of brown? I may buy them first, then select my fabric.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Spectators, being two tones of brown: tan and chocolate, if you will, will go with just about anything from dress chinos to brown suits. That's what makes them such great shoes. They are dressy though, so they are better with jackets, but, if you have ever seen the movie "Cousins" Ted Danson wears his with everything including a black and white tuxedo, and somehow, he pulls it off!

They get a lot of attention and really stand out. They are probably my favorite shoe.

My MCT suit is brown with stripes, as stated at the beginning of this thread, and those shoes match perfectly.

Mack the Knife

New in Town
Hemingway

I ordered the shoes--there will be a 4-5 week delay, however (out of stock). :eusa_doh:

Can't wait to get them. I can already see they'd look good with khakis, let alone a suit. Do you think they'd work with just about any shade of brown?? The one I'm looking at is Fabric #1000 dark brown, a very deep brown (almost looks black) with light chalkstripe. Do you think those shoes would work with just about any shade of brown suit? I can see they work well with your's!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mack the Knife said:
Hemingway

I ordered the shoes--there will be a 4-5 week delay, however (out of stock). :eusa_doh:

Can't wait to get them. I can already see they'd look good with khakis, let alone a suit. Do you think they'd work with just about any shade of brown?? The one I'm looking at is Fabric #1000 dark brown, a very deep brown (almost looks black) with light chalkstripe. Do you think those shoes would work with just about any shade of brown suit? I can see they work well with your's!
Sure. I think they would. The dark brown is very dark, chocolaty. I think it would work with anything and beside, when you wear these shoes you want them to stand out.
I'm sorry about the delay, but they will be worth it when they arrive. ;)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
Hello Fellow Loungers,

As you all know, I am always up to something; some sort of project, and today is no different ... So, here are the results ...

How about an up-date on your suit? I'm thinking of ordering one like it and wanted to get your thoughts after having had this suit for a while now. Are you still pleased?

Thanks.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Big Man said:
How about an up-date on your suit? I'm thinking of ordering one like it and wanted to get your thoughts after having had this suit for a while now. Are you still pleased?

Thanks.
Funny you should ask, My Good Man,

Am I still pleased? Yes, indeed, I am, though my tastes have grown a bit more exacting since I ordered it. I am still very happy with this suit. I get compliments everytime I wear it. It has a vintage style to it, but it also fits seamlessly into my modern corporate job.

I am so happy, in fact, that just last night, I ordered another one for a very special occasion! They now give you the option of the bi-swing back ($30 more), so I am eager to see how they do with it.

This sort of thing is always a gamble, but I was happy the first time, so we'll see.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the up-date. I have ordered several suits from them and have been pleased with the quality and fit (and fitting me isn't an easy thing :D ). I was curious about the specific style, and you answered my question. I'll be sending in my order soon.

Again, thanks.

WFB, III

jml90

One of the Regulars
Currently waiting for my second shirt from them; sky blue with a cutaway collar and James Bond cuffs.

aliados

One of the Regulars
Based on this thread, I met with the mysuitshop.com "master tailor" Ravi Daswani when he was in NY on March 11, and ordered the suit modeled by Adolph Menjou -- #11525, as seen at http://mysuitshop.com/styles.php?sorton=2&cat=257&direction=desc&PageNo=1
The only difference I could see between mysuitshop.com and mycustomtailor.com (other than price) was that the latter's suits are lined to the crotch, whereas the former's are unlined. Yet a "premium" 3-piece suit costs $250 (+$50 s/h) on the one site, $270 (+$54 s/h) on the other . . .
Tried to convince him to measure the armholes properly -- don't think I got my point across (although, in an earlier email, I was assured that the shoulder-lift problem could be corrected by smaller armholes and slightly anrrowed shoulders). We shall see.
In any event, if the suit fits even half-way decently, it's nice to know that I can get the style I want, regardless of what "fashion" is dictating. (A friend of mine got his first tux awhile back, and, despite his best efforts, could not find a reasonably priced one in the classic one-button, peaked lapel style, as all of the stores then seemed to have only 2 or 3 button notched lapels. It's nice to know there's an alternative to buying whatever garbage is being peddled).
If this suit works, they've got a customer for life! And maybe I'll try that "Customized Inverted Box Pleat/Split Back (US$ 30)" option on the next one!
Thanks, Hemingway Jones, for being the guinea pig! AndI lknow at least two other guys who are waiting to see how mine turns out.
Charlie

were pushing had to sweat blood (within limits, I suppose)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred