Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning how to sew.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I need some help from all you ladies.
I have a friend in NY who wants to learn how to sew. If I lived close by, I would be happy to teach her, but as it is, I am halfway around the world.
She says that she doesn't have a clue even how to sew on buttons. She has 3 kids, and runs a business from her home, so she doesn't have the time to attend any classes.

Does anyone know of any good books or online sites for beginners that may help her get started?

Thank you for your help.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
LaMedicine said:
I need some help from all you ladies.
I have a friend in NY who wants to learn how to sew. If I lived close by, I would be happy to teach her, but as it is, I am halfway around the world.
She says that she doesn't have a clue even how to sew on buttons. She has 3 kids, and runs a business from her home, so she doesn't have the time to attend any classes.

Does anyone know of any good books or online sites for beginners that may help her get started?

Thank you for your help.

I like the Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing. It's been very helpful in reference like ways when I don't know how to do things. (note: I am really beginner level, so I don't know how to do a lot!)

There is also always "Sewing for dummies' although I don't know how helpful it is, but might be slow enough paced if she wants that....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a good basic-beginner sewing course online at

http://sewing.about.com/library/lessons/bllessonindex.htm

It takes the beginner thru some very simple, confidence building projects while teaching essential techniques. Poke around a bit on the same site and you'll find some other projects that teach at a more advanced level, as well as information on sewing machines and their use. Very nice approach!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sadly a class ...

Is going to be the BEST way to learn right off. Im sure there are some sewingbars in NYC that she can go to and just learn on the fly. Id really reccomend even just a day class to at least learn the basics.

It wll save her a lot of frustration and discouragement in the begining to take a three hours and take a class.

LD

magneto

Practically Family
I second/third the class suggestion (as someone who now knits and weaves I know I never got anywhere until I had someone standing over me showing me what I was doing wrong and how to do it right)...have her check with her local Adult School/Community College...here for instance the sewing/crafts classes are tuition-free! (You only pay for materials)..because they are classified as vocational, I think.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Thanks for all the info, everyone.
Yes, I know hand on hand is best. Though I haven't done so in a while, I do sew, too, so I know what you all mean. As a matter of fact, my wedding dress was the product of my mother and I working together, and we started from scratch, making the pattern from a design that appeared in a fashion magazine. I'm an awuful hand at knitting though.lol
However, this friend has 3 small children, and runs a business at home, so it's not easy for her to find the time to check things out herself, much less go out. I was thinking of introducing her something she could try to famialarize herself with what sewing is actually like. Anyway, it's good to see someone getting interested in the art, and since just about everyone here sews, I thought I'd ask y'all.
So, thank you again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy