Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Cafe Jacket dating by Talon zippers (and hello!)

Vivala

New in Town
Greetings, Gentlemen!

First post at Fedora Lounge after a brief lurking . . . seeking age and maker input on an unlabeled vintage cafe racer type jacket. Images in following post.

I snagged the jacket as a shop was closing, just because I was attracted to the patina and bold brassy/bronzey Talon zippers. The front zipper mechanism is 1 and 5/8" long (excluding stop box) and the stop box is marks with a "T". I notice that there's plastic or nylon reinforcement on either side of the stop box. I studied the Talon zipper guide here (it's great!) but I didn't find my zipper there.

The pockets of the jacket may be replacements - the beast pockets and inside pocket (opens vertically along the front) are made of straight-up leisure suit fabric (!!!) and the side pockets are whits cotton-ish fabric.

The strap buckles and some kind of textured pattern

The jacket does a zipper for adding a lining.

Thanks so much for any input or info you can provide!

Last edited:

Vivala

New in Town
Hope these work . . .

cafe-AB_zps54e5fa75.jpg

cafe-bigzip_zps09877127.jpg

cafe-cuff_zps4e42e65a.jpg

cafe-buckle_zpsaec50145.jpg

cafe-pockets_zps8502f805.jpg

cafe-tag-collar_zps45a02daa.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the chunky zipper dates it into the 70s, perhaps the late 60s. Dinerman will be able to tell you precisely.

Last edited:

Vivala

New in Town
Thanks to both of you. . . I just saw an identical one (Lesco) online - different zippers, though. ETA: . . . and one with the same zippers.

Appreciate your help - thanks again!

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Knowing a little bit about California, i'm not familiar with a "Steinbeck County." Is that, perhaps a reference to Monterey County, the birthplace of John Steinbeck?

Vivala

New in Town
Yes, I'm in Monterey - city and county. More Cannery Row than East of Eden, but Steinbeck country just the same. :) I'm a recent transplant from L.A. (19 years) and NYC (17 years) and SF Bay area (20 years).

Knowing a little bit about California, i'm not familiar with a "Steinbeck County." Is that, perhaps a reference to Monterey County, the birthplace of John Steinbeck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner