Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather coats from San Diego, any local's visit the store?

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I have never visited the store, but in 2000 I mail ordered two different jackets from them, a black cowhide A2 and a brown goatskin G1 with leather collar. Maybe they've changed since then, I don't know, but I was not impressed. The leather quality was mediocre at best, the collar snaps on my A2 were very uneven, the buttons on my G1 pockets both fell off within a few days. I have since given both jackets away. I guess I am spoiled by Aero, or am just a snob.

storman113

Familiar Face
Sounds like they do have problem! Sorry to hear of your experience.

Maybe some of the locals can stop by and see if they have the same quality problem or if they fixed it!

Corky

Practically Family
I acquired an ANJ-3 from there twenty years ago...

I acquired a flight jacket from there twenty years ago. I finished a video documentary on fighter planes ahead of time and under budget, so my producer took me in there ("This is the place where all the Fighter Jocks from the Top Gun School go to get their jackets," he said). We had plenty of time to kill, so I must have tried on 50 jackets.

The ANJ-3 has been a great jacket and it has served me well with years of hard wear.

However, one bit of advice:

If you can, I suggest you go to the showroom and try on as many different sizes, types, and variations of leather in as many jackets as you can.

If I had ordered via mail order or a catalog, I would have ordered an A-2 in size 46. As it turned out, the most comfortable jacket I found that fit me like a glove was a size 50 ANJ-3 in cowhide.

If you spend any time at all looking at the classified ads on the Fedora Lounge you will notice ads from one unsatisfied mail order customer after another offering a custom made jacket that just didn't fit right. So the customer decides to sell it in the classifieds and try again.

If you live anywhere near a retailer, you can avoid this by going to the shop and trying on every size and model that fits.

Also, if you choose to visit the San Diego Leather Jacket Company, you will also be close enough for a visit to the to the Gibson and Barnes showroom. G & B offers a more upscale line of jackets, but it's definitely worth a look.

Best of luck

storman113

Familiar Face
Corky your advice is very good about making a personal visit to the store. The post from 1911 man backs it up. Your visit was 20 years ago and 1911 man's mail order was 8. Hoping to hear from some locals of what it is today.

Have some in-laws in Vista and it would make a nice double visit, in-laws and trip to the leather factory and G&B's. Would ask the in-laws to visit the store, but like some in-laws, they just don't get it!!! South West is always having specials for flights.

Special's this month for some of the lower end coats would make good Xmas gifts, but not if their shoddy!!!

Fiver64

Practically Family
San Diego leather

I've had 2 police motorcycle jackets from them. Both (as stated above) mediocre at best. Leather was average dept store quality, but the linings were reeeeeaally cheap acetate and both tore shortly after trying them on. I can't speak for the military stuff, but the police grade were not worth the money. Better bet going to Taylor's Leatherwear if you want middle-of-the-road pricing. Eastman or Aero is better bet if you want real quality and authenticity. Just my 2-cent's worth! BTW.... both were purchased in the last 3 years.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
22222222222222222222 cents

another 2 cents...as said, gibson and barnes are down there, and are top of the line jackets, and only about 10 percent higher in price...and g and b backs up their quality...i'd head straight to their showroom

if you order over the phone, you'd need to give them specific inch counts because their jackets are about a size large in military jackets...and each manufacturer seems to have different ideas about what a size is supposed to be...but best idea is to head on down there...from my experience with their jackets and their staff, you can't go wrong

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
I've been in there in the last couple years and drive by it on a fairly regular basis. Garbage. National City's not known for store's with quality merchandise that's for sure. Lotta cheapie stuff all over. For a few years right next door was an ultra cheap tool store. Like Harbor Freight except maybe even crappier tools if that's possible. Crappy used car dealers, crappy furniture, crappy everything in abundance all around there. Kinda gives you an idea of the demographic. If they had good merchandise, they'd be over by the Harley-Davidson dealer or in another part of town altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21