Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket break in service

It's way cheaper than highering a gardner.Funny how a few people want to step on your toe's....or fin,or whatever.
I wouldn't say it's stepping on toes but more that the service itself stands against the values of *most* folks that buy these heavy, stiff jackets. The point is almost entirely that you break it in yourself, so that it molds to your body and becomes undisputedly yours. That said, if Guppy can make a go at it. God bless him!

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
What's the toughest jacket you ever had to break-in? I mean one that was relentless, one that fought back, one that you really had to kick the shit out of ? Tell me.....what was that brand?

What's the toughest jacket you ever had to break-in? I mean one that was relentless, one that fought back, one that you really had to kick the shit out of ? Tell me.....what was that brand?
For me the Lost Worlds Buco j-23... Simply would not yield. It's a hide that will never age, is essentially waterproof and weighs a freek'n ton.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't say it's stepping on toes but more that the service itself stands against the values of *most* folks that buy these heavy, stiff jackets. The point is almost entirely that you break it in yourself, so that it molds to your body and becomes undisputedly yours. That said, if Guppy can make a go at it. God bless him!
Thanks. I'd agree with you that most people on TFL are the type who would do it themselves. On the other hand, a lot of us DO buy quite broken in vintage jackets from time to time, so I wouldn't say it's entirely against our values.

I have to say, unless I am your clone, you're going to get the very best results from just wearing your own jacket a lot. But if you're at the point where you're not enjoying that prospect, this is where I can step in. Think of me as a horsehide whisperer. Some folks will own a horse, and want to ride it, but aren't the ones to break that horse to accept a saddle and rider. They leave that work to someone else, a person with the temperament and patience to do the job.

I'm kind of like that, except for with jackets produced after the horse's career is over.

So far, no customers... I guess the guy who was talking to me wasn't serious after all.

But I've been working on a few of my own jackets, so keeping busy and enjoying life. [emoji6]

Guppy, why don't you try a lather jacket artificial distressing service? I mean, I've seen (very) few other manufacturers doing that with their jackets; they'd sell new ones but upon request, they would very lightly distress the jacket using a multitude of techniques, to make it look just a little bit worn. Speed up the creases somehow, sand them lightly, they'd add some paint to the light coloured parts, rub some other parts with alcohol to remove the sheen, etc. It didn't look fake at all, like those mall jackets, as they did this very subtly, and the result was great.

I don't think there's such service around, as makers won't touch other manufacturers jackets, but if done right, perhaps there would be a market for that.

Anyway, you could be doing both. Wearing the jacket for break-in, plus artificially aging it.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Gents, why don't you give the Classifieds a break and move the discussion to the outerwear subforum? The Classifieds is for buying and selling which includes the occasional discussion of an item for sale. Extensive chatter, as much as it is appreciated by all of us, is for the other subfora. Thank you.

And please, don't turn my comment into another discussion - if you disagree with me, just ignore it. I'm not a bartender, just tryin' to be helpful.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Guppy, why don't you try a lather jacket artificial distressing service? I mean, I've seen (very) few other manufacturers doing that with their jackets; they'd sell new ones but upon request, they would very lightly distress the jacket using a multitude of techniques, to make it look just a little bit worn. Speed up the creases somehow, sand them lightly, they'd add some paint to the light coloured parts, rub some other parts with alcohol to remove the sheen, etc. It didn't look fake at all, like those mall jackets, as they did this very subtly, and the result was great.

I don't think there's such service around, as makers won't touch other manufacturers jackets, but if done right, perhaps there would be a market for that.

Anyway, you could be doing both. Wearing the jacket for break-in, plus artificially aging it.
I do offer some forms of artificial break in. I don't really recommend it, but if someone wants to pay me to do something to their jacket, it's their jacket. I think the best way to get a great looking jacket is to wear it often. Next best is to pay me to wear it often :)

bwchase

Familiar Face

An Aero LHB in either Bison or Connelly steer, (I can not tell what one it is) it is over 15 years old and stiff as a board!
Actually thought about this service but just can't part with that beast for the years it would take to break in!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
An Aero LHB in either Bison or Connelly steer, (I can not tell what one it is) it is over 15 years old and stiff as a board!
Actually thought about this service but just can't part with that beast for the years it would take to break in!
The long half belt is one of Aero's best designs. If it's that stiff, it may benefit from a treatment with pecard's.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with Rabbit. I can't believe this thread is still getting mileage . Guppy honestly if anyone wanted their horsehide/ leather jacket broken in I doubt if any one here with any common sense would pay anyone to do this for the next 5 or however many years it takes to break in a leather jacket so it doesn't look new or feel stiff any more by having you wear it for them. More to the point it's a personal experience each individual would want to have to do anyway so the jacket does conform to their own body like it would after wearing it for yrs on end. On a side note if I had a new leather in need of breaking in I would be more inclined to tie it to the back of a dirt bike or pick up truck and drive around the back 40 for a couple of hours and I am sure then it would then have a nice distressed look to it. (I have been known for taking stiff jeans to the lake front here and smashing them against the large erosion boulders for some quick softening up with very good results)
Feel free to use the above ideas as part of your entrepreneurial means should you get any takers for roughing up any leather jackets.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwchase

Familiar Face
The long half belt is one of Aero's best designs. If it's that stiff, it may benefit from a treatment with pecard's.

Three times with pecards so far. Helped some, will no longer stand up totally by itself. 8 plus pounds of untamed hide with spirit!
Break in is a personal thing, enjoying the small victories like bending the arms and or sitting in the car with out my neck being pushed up and supported like a brace.
Thinking about naming this beast.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Rabbit. I can't believe this thread is still getting mileage . Guppy honestly if anyone wanted their horsehide/ leather jacket broken in I doubt if any one here with any common sense would pay anyone to do this for the next 5 or however many years it takes to break in a leather jacket so it doesn't look new or feel stiff any more by having you wear it for them. More to the point it's a personal experience each individual would want to have to do anyway so the jacket does conform to their own body like it would after wearing it for yrs on end. On a side note if I had a new leather in need of breaking in I would be more inclined to tie it to the back of a dirt bike or pick up truck and drive around the back 40 for a couple of hours and I am sure then it would then have a nice distressed look to it. (I have been known for taking stiff jeans to the lake front here and smashing them against the large erosion boulders for some quick softening up with very good results)
Feel free to use the above ideas as part of your entrepreneurial means should you get any takers for roughing up any leather jackets.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe it either, but it's more the scoffers and naysayers who've been keeping it alive than anyone. Even though I keep agreeing with you all. I agree the best breakin is done by the owner, and this creates a bond between the jacket and wearer. I sincerely encourage everyone to do their own.

That said, for those who don't want to, and are thinking of dumping a serious investment at a significant loss for something lighter weight... I offer my services.

I think it's plain, at $10/week, I'm not offering this service as an "entrepreneurial venture". I'm just trying to help out the sort of person who bought their first heavy jacket and didn't know what they were getting into, and is starting to have some regrets. I've offered advice in numerous threads to just tough it out and wear the damn thing as much as you can until broken in.

I'll note that I don't think I've seen any new threads (complaining) about breaking in or looking for advice on artificial aging shortcuts since I posted my ad. Which, if so, I think my ad has served its purpose.

As for what's in it for me, that's obvious, and most of you have had me pegged from the beginning: I'm interested in trying out new jackets, and being paid for the privilege would only make the deal sweeter for me. Although I doubt that most people who use this forum would be interested in such an offer, I would sincerely do my best to break in a jacket for someone who was frustrated by the process themselves, and so it's a serious offer for anyone who wants to take me up on it.

I'm making my services available, but I'm not trying to encourage anyone to take me up on it, and in fact I'd almost want to discourage anyone from not just doing it themselves. But the fact remains, if you've got a jacket you don't want to tame yourself, give it to me for a few months, and I'll wear it 8-10-14 hours/day for as many weeks or months as it takes, and when you get it back it'll have the new knocked out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy