Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket break in service

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Break in service

This is a completely serious and legitimate offer. Not a joke!

Got a leather jacket you want broken in, but don't want to do it yourself? I'm your man.

Here's what I propose:

- You ship me your jacket, and I'll wear it as much as humanly possible, indoors and outdoors, for several weeks, or months, as needed, to achieve the desired level of break in. At which point, I will ship your jacket back to you.

- I'll send photos weekly, or more frequently if desired, and describe the level of break in achieved.

- Additionally, with your approval I will post informative articles on TFL with my findings as I go through the break in process, with before/in progress/after photos.

- I will also, at your authorization, subject to my agreement, also do artificial wear (including application of oils, goo, and other "treatments") , through whatever process you want me to try.

- I will respond to all emails within 24 hours, barring emergencies. Once we are under contract I will also provide you with my phone number should you desire it.

- I can assure full confidentiality if desired.

Cost schedule:

- Cost of natural wear break in process: my introductory rate is $10 USD per week, subject to availability. This is very reasonable, considering I'll be wearing it as much as 56-112 hours per week. If demand warrants, or if your jacket looks ridiculous on me, my costs for this service may go up.

- Cost of "unnatural" methods: cost of any materials/supplies needed + $50 flat fee labor.

- You pay the actual cost of shipping, to me and from me. Return shipment to you will be by the carrier and method of your choosing, insured.

- All costs to be paid in advance of performance of service. (You can pay week to week for the wear in service, and any "unnatural" work to be performed will be performed upon receipt of payment.)

Limitations:

- I can only perform natural wear break in for jackets that I can wear. I am 5'10" 170 lbs with a 43" chest, 36" waist, and can wear sleeve lengths around 24-26". This is pretty much a perfectly statistically average male build. I can wear a range of jaket sizes, depending on cut, from 40 up to 46.

- You assume all risk for any artificial wear you authorize for me to perform. You are paying me to to the process, not for the outcome, which I cannot predict nor guarantee. I am not liable if the jacket does not break in as you hoped, or if any artificial process you ask me to apply to your jacket for you ends up ruining the jacket.

- I cannot do repairs or tailoring alterations. I can only wear your jacket, put it in a dryer, wear it in the rain or in a shower, rub stuff on it, sleep in it, wad it up, drag it behind my car, etc.

Private message me with your inquiries and offers, or fill out my order application.

Thanks!

Last edited:

apba1166

A-List Customer
I love this. One day I will have my own fulltime breaker-inner, boots too. Along with chef, dogwalker, and fulltime mechanic for vintage Italian cars--make that two.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
LOL fun idea.

But my jackets are so good, I'd have to charge you $20 a week rental to wear them. ;)
This obviously is not a service for everyone. But for those who may be considering building their own robot to wear a jacket for them, or selling a difficult to break in jacket at a significant loss, I figure I can probably come under their cost and do them a solid. I'd also think that the documented knowledge that comes from my experiments would be a value to the lounge community.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps this is not at all outrageous as some might perceive. If one looks at the Aero website and clicks on "Breaking In" on the left side of the home page, one of the tips is:

The Savile Tweed Suit Method
This was a old favourite with the aristocracy when they still had estates, on taking delivery of a new Savile Row tweed suit, the Lords Of The Manor would give it to his gardener to wear for a couple of months so he could knock the newness out of it. His lordship then reclaimed the suit and wore it until it got too shabby for his tastes at which point, he gave it back to the gardener as a "keeper". This is a great method for breaking in a Horsehide jacket but does have a couple of minor drawbacks. Firstly this involves hiring a gardener that's the right size, and secondly, hiring one who is not going to abscond the second he gets a new Aero on his back.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Quite agree. I don’t think it’s any more outrageous than dog walkers or house sitters. The OP gets to wear new and different expensive leather jackets all the time too. What if one was nicked, or damaged in a freak gardening accident though?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Quite agree. I don’t think it’s any more outrageous than dog walkers or house sitters. The OP gets to wear new and different expensive leather jackets all the time too. What if one was nicked, or damaged in a freak gardening accident though?
I'd accept liability for loss due to theft, fire, etc while it's in my possession; just no liability assumed for wear/break-in methods making permanent changes to the garment that are not to the owner's subjective preference.

Reactions: A-1

Lord LALA

New in Town
Kudos to Guppy for his ingenuity!

If I was inclined to wear heavy leather jackets in SoCal, and if I was statistically average I'd offer to be his "back-up" wearer.

;) ..... hmmmm....On the other hand, if anyone has a nice light 38S leather jacket that they'd like broken in, they should contact me. My services would be free, I'd assume no liability for anything and I would require about 3 years to accomplish anything. Oh, and I'd be too busy to send any pics or break-in reports!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
What would happen if you have someone send a very expensive jacket, and it goes "so long, sucker"??????

Just seems all to much a risk to me. Good luck on having someone take that risk.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic idea! Seems with the collection of jackets I've owned over the years, I could have/should have provided a service such as this for people. Would have been more cost effective too. I would think this service would be better if the OP lived in, say, the Yukon Territories, than perhaps, Biloxi, MS. If one lived up there, they may want to wear two jackets at once, doubling your value for the time. :)

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
What would happen if you have someone send a very expensive jacket, and it goes "so long, sucker"??????

Just seems all to much a risk to me. Good luck on having someone take that risk.
Right, well I'm just starting out, so I have no references or reputation. But this is why my service is so inexpensive. And I will have a contract with the customer. The customer will have my real name and contact information. I have no need of new jackets. I already own too many as it is. But I would be happy to experience the break in process of new jackets all the time, but without having to buy them all myself. And so if there is anyone who has a jacket that for whatever reason they cannot bear to break in themselves, I'm more than happy to offer my services. That way we both get something out of it. Win-win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points