Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket for Heavy Outdoor Use

mfanoni

New in Town
Hello all, I would like to hear some opinions on a recommendation for a leather jacket that will see all kinds of use...from Harley rides to casual wear to mule packing in the Sierras. What has me worried about the higher quality jackets is that rough outdoor wear will beat them up more than they can handle. Running mules is rough work and I would hate to get a jacket that will only last a couple seasons before being beat to death.

Do the higher end jackets like Aero, Lost Worlds, and Schott stand up to Outdoor use (not abuse)? For any hunters and horse/mule riders, you can relate to what kind of use I'm speaking about....branch scuffs, the occasional mule kick, wrestling with saddles and pack gear, getting thrown, and general scuffery that comes with hunting and hiking. Mind you this would only be worn in the deep-winter months.

Anyway, I would appreciate some insight on the durability of HH vs SH as well as better brands or styles that might fit my needs. A good looking jacket would be nice, but what I really need is a jacket that works.

Thanks!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Aero's heavy steer and heavy front quarter horse should handle anything you can throw at it and look all the better for it!

Oh, and welcome to the Lounge!

A member here(once)..had an 'Admiral Byrd' longer FQHH coat fashioned by Aero. It was worn in harsh conditions throughout his working travels and seemed to hold up and just gain great charactor along the way. I don't think it would matter whether the hide was HH or steer. Aero's hides are durable. LW's hide finish is practically bulletproof. However..with these coats..only layering would provide warmth in extreme outdoor cold unless lined with shearling. Perhaps insulated heavy twill..or waxed cotton might be another alternative.
HD

Last edited:

mfanoni

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. I am gathering that LW horsehide is about as tough as they get? And I would be layering with wool to keep warm. In cooler months I wear wool only, but the freezing wind destroys the warmth of wool...so leather is needed.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Isn't goat supposed to be much tougher than horse and steer? Like #2 after kangaroo?

Welcome mfanoni. I don't reckon I've seen anything yet that can trash an Aero FQHH jacket. Since I personally don't own other brands in a similar jacket, I won't speak for those. I do know that I'd not worry one second about doing that and more in the Aero's I've had/have. Surely there are others up to the task, that's just my experience.
I think more important is getting a style/cut that you could work in comfortably. Good luck - have a look around - there's lots of info and pictures and reviews here.
Keep your eyes open - drama is never missing from the Lounge or the world of jackets... :eeek:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You say that you are looking for "a leather jacket that will see all kinds of use...from Harley rides to casual wear to mule packing in the Sierras." As a new FL member, you must realize that a minimum of three jackets rather than just one are needed. :D

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you get a new jacket (I mean a nice one from one of the premier makers here), you'll probably end up not wanting to wear it during rough labor for fear of getting it dirty!
Or if you end up wearing it getting it dirty, you'll need another one for non-work wear.
There's no just one leather jacket.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
+1 to the above comments.

Merely a year ago I justified the $AU1000 to myself and the wife by saying the FQHH Aero Cafe Racer would be my first and last high quality leather jacket....I've only just made it 12 months before deciding I "need" a Black Highwayman/Roadster style for when the brown cafe racer isn't appropriate....its a slippery slope my friend, you have been warned ;)

trapp

Practically Family
What size are you looking for? I don't know about mule packing but I'm selling an Aero 'Motorcycle Jacket' in black FQHH, size 42, that might pair well with your HD.

Lando

Practically Family
Based on what you're talking about, if it were me, I would go 4oz Lost Worlds HH, or even 5.5oz Johnson Cowhide. I would go with a design that was simple but had plenty of elements that allowed for freedom of movement. I have a two tone Lost Worlds Bedford in 4oz HH that I've been wearing as a general work jacket in the winter. It's seen about half a season of wear in the rain and snow and looks new. The hide is just so tough it doesn't show any wear. If you're looking for a hide that will take on character and show wear, well then the Aero FQHH is your ticket. It's a beautiful hide that take on great character in time and use. If you want something that will take a beating and not really show it, Lost Worlds HH. It'll look like it's new for a long time, but, it'll be more stiff than the Aero. Do you want to show the wear or not is the question?

Goatskin is a great hide too. Langlitz has a great heavy goatskin that's very tough but supple. I have a flight jacket of theirs in the skin and I've never worn it lightly. Considering that it was used when it got to me, and I've had it a few years, the damn thing is in great condition. So they may be another option to consider if you want something that's more flexible. I'll add some picks of my hides for reference. Hope any of this helps.

8347153496_f43bfe9528_k.jpg

Lost Worlds Bedford when I just got it. Looks the same after half a season in the rain and snow.

8596093849_04ba1b6f42_o.jpg

Aero FQHH Cordovan, Slightly custom design. Had this jacket a few years now and really not been nice to it in anyway. Its seen some pretty mean weather and just gets better looking with abuse.

8230001795_08e26469fb_o.jpg

Langlitz Goatskin Flight jacket. Already ten years or older when it came to me, and still in great condition after a few years of use with me.

mfanoni

New in Town
Lando, nice writeup...thanks for all the advice. Where can I find more about the Johnson 5.5oz? That might be another route.

I think the Aero 1930s Half Belt style or the Lost Worlds Suburban would be the best cut. I am slim and don't want a boxy cut to be in my way. A fitted jacket is my preference, but I have no idea what my size is. I've been told a million times, but I forget the second I no longer need to know it. I'm 6'-0" and about 155lbs...so a slim fitting jacket is a must. Can someone point me in the directions of some quality manufacturers? American made is my preference. I know a few Like LW, Aero, and Schott...but surely there are other great companies out there?

garzo

One of the Regulars
My two cents: Aero's heavy FQHH is great stuff but it is very thick and a bit stiff -- the "vintage" FQHH is just as tough but already broken in some, so that could be another option. I have a vintage FQHH Highwayman and compared to say the much more pliable "naked cowhide" of my Schott flight jacket, it can still be a bit of a challenge. You feel the toughness of the thick horsehide in the crook of the arm just talking on the phone, for example. I love the Highwayman but not sure if I'd be all that comfortable wearing it while hiking up in the Sierras or on a hunting trek. Sitting on a horse, no problem. I've never had a Johnson jacket in my hand, but 5.5oz is even heavier that Aero's FQHH and while I would feel very safe wearing that on a motorcycle riding up the 395 full throttle, I'd be struggling with it on a hike up a waterfall.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The tanning process should be taken into consideration. For example, even though goat is very tough, Aero's goat is veg tanned and not much use in a downpour. And you'd have to use conditioner from time to time when it got wet. Aero's FQHH is nearly waterproof, so stuffed with waxes and oils that you can use it in the harshest weather and still don't have to baby it.

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
Greetings.

For your needs, I would recommend going with a heavier chrome tanned horsehide jacket as I believe this would offer you the best protection from the elements. Make sure it is large enough to allow for layering. I wear a HH jacket when riding my Harley, and it is the one I would take if I were heading out to the wilderness and had to take leather. Although personally, I would wear my Filson double tin jacket because it weighs less, and I believe it to be more durable during tough outdoor conditions. Just my two cents! Like others have posted, you start with one leather jacket, then two, three, you get it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails