Leather Jacket in Airplane (long flight)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Fortehus, Jul 22, 2019.

1. patrick_b

patrick_b One of the Regulars

Hey I’m sorry. They warned me not to drink the water but I didn’t listen.

2. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Enjoy the jacket :)

Flightengineer likes this.
  3. wooden indian

wooden indian New in Town

plane seats in first class are often upholstered in leather. If you’re in steerage and anyone complains tell em you’re bringing the smells of the upper class to the common people. If you’re in 1st class, your odor will fit right in.

El Marro, ton312 and Monitor like this.
  4. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

You'd probably be better off on a long haul flight wearing a medium weight chore coat in something not-leather, to be honest. If you're in economy, leather is unwieldy if you need to take it off when, for example, you suddenly get too warm from drinking red wine with a whisky chaser after one of those tray lunches that you know will cramp your gut up in short order and you twist around trying to get the jacket off and then wonder if the people next to you know that you creaked one out or if they think your jacket smells that bad- or if they're too polite to even look upset.

Go with the chore coat option, and eat before take-off.

5. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

So - Why are you worried about it in the first place?

It's one thing to be aware & conscious of others around you. That's perfectly normal.

It's quite another to be so concerned that your jacket might disturb someone due to a pleasant, new leather smell. Now if you were Monitor's seat-mate on his train journey, that might be something to consider. But you are not and that is not the issue here.

Wear it and enjoy it. It's built for use, not to be kept hidden away.

Monitor, bn1966, El Marro and 2 others like this.
  6. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Measure the jacket every hour while in air and photo document it. I hear some jackets shrink at altitude! Or so I vaguely recall hearing...

Edward and AeroFan_07 like this.
  7. Fortehus

Fortehus Familiar Face

I use my jacket in my bedroom with aircon turned on and my wife found the smell annoying because it’s trapped in closed air circulation room.

The same concept might applied to other passengers in airplane too.

This forum (and me included) love leather smell but apparently it’s not for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Fortehus

Fortehus Familiar Face

I wish this is true. Mine is a tad too big

9. welltailoredsuit

welltailoredsuit New in Town

I wore my new (at the time) Aero Hooch Hauler from Auckland to Zurich (Over 24 hours in the air)

No complaints and I wore it the entire time! It certainly was a great way to break it in.

Fortehus likes this.
  10. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

I was married once and by the end my wife found everything about me to be annoying.

Dbrn, Carlos840, patrick_b and 7 others like this.
  11. Fortehus

Fortehus Familiar Face

Sorry to hear that man...

AeroFan_07 and El Marro like this.
  12. El Marro

El Marro One Too Many

Don’t worry about it friend!
    It was one of life‘s many learning experiences and she and I are both living happy lives apart from one another.

Dbrn and AeroFan_07 like this.
  13. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

Bird poo tanned leather is the real smell of genuine aviator :):D

14. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I initially thought this was a joke question.

Why not also consider a trigger warning for those passengers who will be traumatized when they see a guy wearing a dead animal's skin?

Thuggee and bn1966 like this.
  15. Fortehus

Fortehus Familiar Face

I care about the smell because my wife complain about it.

“Bad” smell in closed air circulation environment for 7 hours is not good.

Your keyword is “see” they can close their eyes or watch TV and forget about it

16. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

In seriousness, if the jacket does smell, either good or bad, it's best not to wear it on a long flight. I wouldn't ever wear a brand new CX jacket in a plane. Any smell at all might make people nauseous and that's not something I want.

Well, at least you got to the marriage part. Every woman I went out with felt the same about me after a second date. :D

El Marro likes this.
  17. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

Just flew to Taipei in a goat hide jacket - was glad of it as the air cycling became so cold after hour 6 that I woke up (if you could call it sleeping) with the shivers.

Of course, immediately post-landing I knew that it'd be a good five months before I'd need it - or the new Maxwell I packed - again.

Fortehus and El Marro like this.
  18. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've flown many times with a leather jacket. Threw it in the overhead locker and thought nothing more about it. Never a problem. Turns out other people care a lot less about what I wear than I do.

Fortehus and bn1966 like this.
  19. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

Last Winter, I flew from Toronto to Edmonton, Alberta (4 hour flight/2700km) and stayed there for all of 2 hours (yes, two); just long enough to pick up our latest rescue puppy from Mexico via his foster family in Edmonton, let him whizz outside, re-do security and fly all the way back back with him.
    I opted for my Buzz Rickson L2-A for the very long day of 2 taxi rides, airport terminals, both flights and UP Express train - and all indoors from the inclement cold outside. I wore it with a hooded sweatshirt and the nylon jacket was the perfect choice! I wouldn't automatically reach for one my leather jackets again for a flight after that ...
    The puppy's perfect too and settled right in. Oh, and we named him Spike.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  20. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

I quite agree. I flew back from Mexico one time and in the terminal there was a mother with three teenage girls with her, checking in. I said to my girlfriend "You know, if you had to answer quickly, what are your first impressions as to how they're all dressed and why, what would you say? I'll tell you what I think: It's very simple. It's 2.30AM in the morning and they've all just woken up to the house being on fire and they each had just 60 seconds to grab the first and most immediate things they could put on and ran out of the blazing home." And that's what they all chose to make an international flight.
    Wear what you want. They did.

El Marro and Monitor like this.