Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket stitching fell off?

Cttttt

New in Town
First of all please forgive my English;
I recently found this fcl jacket in 2nd hand market and I almost purchase it immediately; but later I found the part where the sleeves connects the body has some stitching fell off (marked on pic).
So I'm here to consult you leather jacket expert guys, is this a big detect which will reduce the longevity of the jacket, or is this a minor issue which only affect apperance?
thanks in advance!
IMG_7425.jpg

Edward

Bartender
It looks to me as if the stitching is missing in the entire armpit area. If so, I wouldn't buy it.

Ah, I see what the question is now.... Looked to me like there's a topstitch on the shoulder, but the stitching is internal elsewhere? Like the topstitching is a detail over the top half where it's seen in wear, but internal stiches hold the arm on right the way round?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The stitching didn't fall off, the maker simply chose not to do a full topstitch. Perfectly normal. Most German jackets came without sleeve/body topstitch.

From left to right top to bottom:

Thedi, Thedi, HD, Californian

Full topstitch, partial topstitch, no topstitch, no topstitch.

Front view
86F8EFA7-4FE6-401C-84F9-BC9019EDC8C1.jpeg

Back view

5F48C074-DBDA-42A2-8023-604563E3AFBC.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
By the way, that Fine Creek is a copy of a Lewis leathers jacket. The original Lewis leathers doesn't have full topstitching either.

IMG_7297.jpeg

Cttttt

New in Town
The stitching didn't fall off, the maker simply chose not to do a full topstitch. Perfectly normal. Most German jackets came without sleeve/body topstitch.

From left to right top to bottom:

Thedi, Thedi, HD, Californian

Full topstitch, partial topstitch, no topstitch, no topstitch.

Front view
View attachment 542084

Back view

View attachment 542085
thanks for the reply! although my concern is not about the it's not full topstitch; my concern is that the last three or four stitching seems not well aligned with the other stitchings, or even worse, has fell off due to wear?
IMG_7425 2.jpg

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I don't think it's fallen out, looks like they did backstitching to lock the stitch at the end but just looks like it's not done neatly and not going back through the same stitch holes as done on the opposite arm. Do you have closer pictures?

Edward

Bartender
I don't think it's fallen out, looks like they did backstitching to lock the stitch at the end but just looks like it's not done neatly and not going back through the same stitch holes as done on the opposite arm. Do you have closer pictures?

Yeah, that's what it is. Not perfectly tidy, but not a construction problem.

thanks for the reply! although my concern is not about the it's not full topstitch; my concern is that the last three or four stitching seems not well aligned with the other stitchings, or even worse, has fell off due to wear?
View attachment 542101

It didn't fell off, it's just shoddy machining. It's what @Jasonissm said happened but this doesn't have a place on any leather jacket, let alone a multi thousand dollar one. You don't see this in Zara.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Normal back locking stitch.

But don't buy it. Even used FC Lewis copies are around 150,000 yen I think, and at that price you can get a real Lewis brand new, and then sell it on the Japan market without much loss when you're done. Lewis and Langlitz has skewed resale prices in Japan for some reason.

If you really want a Fine Creek jacket look for the newer model years ones. Leather is better. They will come to the reseller market soon. Right now only the early FC jackets have made it to the reseller market as it seems, and the leather is not as nice as the more recent/current productions. Look for the ACJK model numbered jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran