Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather jacket treatment question

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm almost afraid to ask this, but here goes.

I've read about a bunch of things that can be applied to leather jackets to treat and condition them. But recently I came across an article (online) that said that WD-40, among its tons of other uses, is good for this purpose.

Many of you leatherwear guys here know more than almost anyone about dead animal garments. Is WD-40 even an acceptable treatment for leather?

robrinay

One Too Many
No don’t believe it!
The cheapest conditioner you can safely use and then only if the jacket needs it which is seldom is a light application of Vaseline. There are numerous threads about when to condition how to condition and which is the best product - look them up but never ever use WD40. If you Google WD40 ingredients the list of chemicals will persuade you I’m sure.

Last edited:

marker2037

Practically Family
Why would you feel the need to gamble with putting WD-40 onto your leather? There are plenty of leather conditioners out there that are literally designed and tested for leather use. WD-40, although great among it's many uses (cleaning off sticker goo is one of the best in case you didn't know), would not be something I would ever reach for for this purpose.

Besides, while it is a smell I like when using it, I would NOT want my leather products to smell of it.

Cheapest leather conditioner is like $3, while WD-40 is $20 or so, so please don't use WD-40 on your leather jacket, thank you.
I mean, you can apply it to your leather jacket just as you can apply ketchup but that doesn't mean you should.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Noooo. While WD-40 contains petroleum jelly which is considered good for leather, it also contains a bunch of organic solvents which may damage the topcoat.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I have to correct my earlier post. I just saw an old jacket label that said it is safe to clean leather with Stoddard's solvent. Well, WD-40 is pretty much Stoddard's solvent plus some paraffin waxes. So, if you apply WD-40 to your jacket, the solvent should penetrate the leather (depending on the topcoat), and pull the paraffin wax into the leather with it. The solvent then evaporates, leaving paraffin waxes in the leather, where they belong. And paraffin waxes are a major component of Pecard's and other commercial "leather dressings". So, in principle, it could work. But there are still some risks - the WD-40 waxes could "bloom" to the surface after some time leaving unsightly white residue, etc, just because they were not formulated specifically for leather, but to displace water on metal surfaces. Therefore I'd rather use proven products such as Pecard's or similar.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
IMG_9497.jpg

I just spent my Friday night with a jar of Vaseline...

Colin G

One Too Many
Just say no to WD-40. It gets rid of moisture and dissolves dirt and grease and I use it to clean bicycle chains and grimy or rusty car parts and WD-40 is not even great at that. Personally I hate the stuff and try not to even use it on a bicycle or car unless I have nothing else around. Don't put that shit on a jacket.

People generally seem to think a leather jacket needs conditioning when 9 times out of 10 it does not but yours might so post a pic if you can.

@scottyrocks, is your jacket really old and dry or a newer jacket?

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Just say no to WD-40. It gets rid of moisture and dissolves dirt and grease and I use it to clean bicycle chains and grimy or rusty car parts and WD-40 is not even great at that. Personally I hate the stuff and try not to even use it on a bicycle or car unless I have nothing else around. Don't put that shit on a jacket.

People generally seem to think a leather jacket needs conditioning when 9 times out of 10 it does not but yours might so post a pic if you can.

@scottyrocks, is your jacket really old and dry or a newer jacket?

It's not a real high quality leather. I would never post it here. Not brand new but certainly not old, but a little stiff. I just want to soften it up a bit.

Last edited:

Peter Mackin

Practically Family
I find wd40 helps getting my jacket on & off quickly though, but then again my aero halfbelt is lined in moleskin & is quite grabby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko