Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather jacket treatment question

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I heard WD-40 removes squeaking noises from leather jackets. Lol. But seriously, to soften the leather I would use Obenaufs. I found it to soften better than Pecards.

View attachment 395628

The Kiwi Mink Oil (lower left) says silicone. Is this okay?

Which is better, shoe polish or mink oil, are they both okay?

Silicone isn't harmful. Tales of clogged pores are hogwash.

Mink oil is what you need because shoe polish contains wax and wax is used mainly for waterproofing. It's a good protector against elements but as a conditioner, it won't do. Mink oil is fine in that regard.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Silicone isn't harmful. Tales of clogged pores are hogwash.

Mink oil is what you need because shoe polish contains wax and wax is used mainly for waterproofing. It's a good protector against elements but as a conditioner, it won't do. Mink oil is fine in that regard.

Thank you so much. I will use the mink oil and see how it goes.

Yeah, I use Pecards on boots. Much prefer Obenhaufs or Jackson’s for my jackets. I’ve read that mink oil on thread isn’t the best but really, if used sparingly all should be well.

AHP91

Practically Family
View attachment 395422
I just spent my Friday night with a jar of Vaseline...
Does it darken the leather? I've basically only owned black jackets so I've been able to smother them with vaseline with no ill effects. I just got a nice brown jacket and now I'm all nervous because I spot tested it (not in the best location) and hasn't lightened up yet. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui