Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jackets: different makers have different signature Fits?

liawn2109

New in Town
As per the title.

I'm absolutely new here, and I discover this amazing forum not long ago. But then I found I was in love with leather and purchased a Lost World Roadhouse from a member here. I'm enjoying the breaking in (no joke) (but it is a bit large in the chest so it may one day end up in classified).

I then read people's comments how some makers have their unique fits, in the sense that wearers of different body types may be better fitted in some brands versus others. Did I get it right? If so, I'm really interested to learn about the differences!

If this has been discussed in the past, feel free to post a link.

Thanks!

Edit: typo

I then read people's comments how some makers have their unique fits, in the sense that wearers of different body types may be better fitted in some brands versus others. Did I get it right?

Short answer; Yes. No two patterns from different makers are alike but that's a subject that'd take an academic study to answer and ultimately, it doesn't matter as most people won't notice the difference or care for it.

Every maker has their own ethos and style. Even if they make repro styles, the fit will be different, this is based on their vision of “how the jacket is supposed to fit.”
Aero tends to run about a size bigger than others on many models. Their Premium line is the opposite- about a size smaller in shoulder width. If you order from Thurston Bros, Carrie tends to recommend a “slimmer” fit, and will suggest a size based on her vision. Field Leathers seems to make fitted jackets. You can see in the Thread on Greg’s jackets. Five Star recommends much larger than many prefer, and often folks will adjust the measurements down (even 4inches). Schott tends to run roomy in the chest and belly, etc.

liawn2109

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm making it more complicated than necessary. I initially saw a comment somewhere that Freewheeler has a certain fit, which is different than Real McCoy's. May be that refers to certain Japanese brands' fits. Certainly if a brand (or a sub-line) tailor to a specific market, the fit will have to consider what fit works better for the target market.

liawn2109

New in Town
Every maker has their own ethos and style. Even if they make repro styles, the fit will be different, this is based on their vision of “how the jacket is supposed to fit.”
Aero tends to run about a size bigger than others on many models. Their Premium line is the opposite- about a size smaller in shoulder width. If you order from Thurston Bros, Carrie tends to recommend a “slimmer” fit, and will suggest a size based on her vision. Field Leathers seems to make fitted jackets. You can see in the Thread on Greg’s jackets. Five Star recommends much larger than many prefer, and often folks will adjust the measurements down (even 4inches). Schott tends to run roomy in the chest and belly, etc.

Thanks - this is what I was thinking about. I guess the measurements usually can tell how a particular jackets will fit, proportion between shoulder, chest, belly, waist, etc. But there is probably more to the fit. It will not be like tailored clothing, but the makers probably have their preferences.

But again, probably the best way to find out is to try things on.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
Not sure what it means. ( probably a robust fit ) But I don’t think it applies to their Japanese market. Unless they have a “ classic Japanese fit “ also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael