Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jackets sizing problems on online purchases

Dodo

Familiar Face
Ultimately I read about a lot of guys buying their beautifull leather jackets from the most famous like Aero, Lost Wolds, GW and often sending them back because of sizing matters. It sounds strange to me that these problems can occur especially on expensive jackets.So, maybe some guys don't send clear measurements of their body? or is it producers' fault?
How do you explain so much problems and what is best way to avoid them. I'm a little afraid about it, that's why i didn't buy a new leather jacket yet!
Thanks for response and sorry for my bad english..

I send measurements only after measuring 3 or more times.
Then get my wife to do it.
No clue why it happens. Different designs. Different expectations. Different makers.
Certainly if you fudge numbers, you might get screwed.
Be honest and send them the right info. I have no clue other than that.

Jules

New in Town
What i found is Aero were spot on once i gave them my size and answered a few questions about my shape , the jacket they sent was a good fit.
Lost Worlds were the same, answered the questions about shape and size and the fit turned out to be spot on.
Eastman I find came up small ,I had to order on size larger I am a 40 chest but a 42 was an ok fit and i could have even gone to a 44 but only in sheepskins .

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
I know in my own mind my expectations probably didn't match the pattern I ordered. You could say measurements were given correctly but I think I didn't ask the right questions.
How I wanted the jacket to fit did not really line up with the pattern jacket I ordered. I caulk it up to trial and error. It's only money right?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
My best fitting Aero is an off the shelf model I got at Insurrection. Of the custom made coats from Aero, one turned out terrible and the others were ok.

Part of the problem probably lies with what I want vs what most people want. I'm pretty trim, so I want a jacket which is very trim. After talking with Amanda, she still steered me to a 40 in a slimfit halfbelt, but when I actually tried on the jackets at Insurrection, the 38 is what I went with. I think Amanda steered me to a 40, because most people like a looser fit. It's like Oldcrow said, it's hard to ask all the right questions and articulate exactly what you want.

Take my Goodwear, most people here did not like the trim cut, but that is exactly what I was after.

I'm pretty trim, so I want a jacket which is very trim. After talking with Amanda, she still steered me to a 40 in a slimfit halfbelt, but when I actually tried on the jackets at Insurrection, the 38 is what I went with. I think Amanda steered me to a 40, because most people like a looser fit. It's like Oldcrow said, it's hard to ask all the right questions and articulate exactly what you want.

Take my Goodwear, most people here did not like the trim cut, but that is exactly what I was after.

See, there's the thing. I see your pics, and to me, you're built like some of my friends that wrestled in high school and college. "Trim" to me is a longer, taller, thinner build. So, if I were to say to you what I'd think you'd look good in, it would not be a tight-fitting jacket. Juxtapose Jansolo, who I think fits that description - he looks good in a tighter-fitting jacket. So, to the OP - what "we" think vs what might be in other's minds can be way different.

Bottom line is "what do YOU like?" And if you know you're doing something a little outside the lines, don't ask others their opinions as you'll get frustrated and worry too much! :)

HighandDry

A-List Customer
LOL yeah maybe that's true, but I only weigh 160 lbs! I think the chest/waist drop is where jackets get a little tricky for me. Most jackets aren't made for a 9 inch drop. I think me and Jan are about the same size- he's just better looking ;) Just saw he's a 1 1/2 inches taller, same chest, and 5 lbs lighter.

Last edited:
I've battled with clothing all my life. Probably many do. What helped me was to be honest and accept the criticism of others. We all want to look a certain way, and once you get over that and listen, it seems to get easier. For me, that's the case. I let you guys set me straight. If it doesn't work, it goes :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails