Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather motorcyle jacket

IXL

One Too Many
I have several Schott and several Vanson jackets, and am a motorcycle rider (Harley-Davidson and BMW). The Schott is a fine product but if I ever go for a slide, the hope is to be wearing one of the Vansons.

Of the Vanson jackets, the CHP is a wonderful example of the Perfecto style, although my actual Perfecto is still pretty groovy. The model B, while a great jacket, in my opinion is totally eclipsed by Insurrection's made-for-them-only "model B House Deluxe," which adds a double zipper, some sleeve and body length, lacks a removable liner, and loses the side belts. It also has stripes around the arms, which I really like as I'm a bit of a dandy.... It is available from them without the stripes, for those with no sense of flair.... The B House Deluxe elicits many positive comments from total strangers, many more than my plain model B, which ain't no slouch. Having the double zipper comes in handy for unzipping the bottom a couple of inches when required, depending on the motorcycle being ridden.

The Vanson Satellite is a "pure performance" motorcycling jacket: short-waisted with a Velcro flap at the bottom, no outside pockets, arms canted forward slightly,and is tighter fitting for any given size than many others of the same brand.
One of the things I really like about this model is that it has vents, both front and rear, allowing it to be worn in weather that would be too hot for the model B or the CHP, for example. For temperatures in the "it's too damn hot out there!" range, this same jacket is available as the Hurricane, which is fully perforated.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
Damn, Outlaw! Your 641HH has a different tag, different sleeve zips and a zip-out liner. Was this a limited 100th Anniversary run or something?

Thanks mendel!! I ordered it in 2010 on the net, I was expecting the Quilted lining model with the map Pocket. From what I could find, it is a 6141HH possibly made for japan's market exclusively. (not shure about it, only rumors trough the gapevine) It was a marvelous surprise.

That why I was asking you about the lining in yours. Maybe I should start a thread about this jacket and add a couple of pictures.

Last edited:
I think this beauty, named 6141HH, provided I am not mistaken, was made exclusively for the Japanese market.

Edit: eh, didn't see you alreay posted Outlaw. Sorry! :)

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Damo, how's that jacket ordering working out with everyone here suggesting different jackets that weren't even part of your original decisionmaking process? ;)

Outlaw, you should be happy with a "special" jacket! Schott made me fall in love with quilted lining on jackets, though. So cushiony :) I'm amazed at all of the special runs leather companies do for the Japanese market. Wesco did a run of Horsehide boots for the Japanese... Imagine that... Wesco boss boots, in horsehide, or better: CXL FQHH!!!

Last edited:

Damo

A-List Customer
@ Mendelboaz... It's actually great getting all the different suggestions... I'm going to have to look into lost worlds and Johnson!! Seems like a few people really like the Enfield however I want something with a different style than that.. Back to the internet to do some more surfing!!

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
Damo, how's that jacket ordering working out with everyone here suggesting different jackets that weren't even part of your original decisionmaking process? ;)

Outlaw, you should be happy with a "special" jacket! Schott made me fall in love with quilted lining on jackets, though. So cushiony :) I'm amazed at all of the special runs leather companies do for the Japanese market. Wesco did a run of Horsehide boots for the Japanese... Imagine that... Wesco boss boots, in horsehide, or better: CXL FQHH!!!

Yeah liners like these are very practical and faux fur gives the jacket class and a custom feel to it. The japanese market must be quite lucrative for them to do so. I ordered a vanson back in 2010 and had to wait a few more months becose vanson was pushing orders behind to save leather and have time to make a run of jackets for the nippons.

Damo

A-List Customer
I like the Lost Worlds Easy Rider.. That jackets looks indestructible and is 10% off… 4 ounce FQHH… wish their brown was darker.. maybe have to go in black… Anybody seen their russet brown in person??

On to check out Johnson Leathers...

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Johnson Leathers' website does not do their jackets and their quality justice. Don't take another look at their website (except for contact info) and look up Johnson Leathers on this forum. You will find some of the most amazing jackets you'll ever see. They do great work and will do highly custom work as well. I don't own any of their jackets but I wish I did.

As for Lost Worlds: their jackets are tough as nails and of very high quality from what I've seen and heard, I don't own any of their jackets though. But from what I've heard Stu (owner of Lost Worlds) is not as pleasant to deal with as any of the other companies mentioned and the prices of his jackets are very high. He won't do custom work, either. The problem is that most people here have dealt a lot more with Vanson and Aero than Lost Worlds and because of that they have a lot more to say and recommend about Vanson and Aero, and Schott for that matter. I'd still recommend Vanson over Lost Worlds, and Langlitz if you've got the bucks for it.

Not bad-mouthing Lost Worlds in any way. I have never dealt with them (I would like to own at least one LW jacket), and they haven't got as much of a reputation on this forum as, say, Aero. LW's jackets are, again, top notch from what I've seen.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I think Stu will do custom, but only within a narrow range of the term. Like, if you want a Buco replica with the epaulettes and belt loops left off, or in a different colored hide, he'll accommodate that sorta thing. On my LW Trojan, the sleeves were made about an inch over standard for me, if I recall correctly. But if you wanted a substantial change to a design, I'm not sure he's as accommodating. When I spoke with him before placing my order (Fall 2011), he was friendly, although he definitely didn't seem like the type to chit-chat. Also had a couple follow up emails, and he was always prompt to respond and professionally amiable in his responses. I've heard a few horror stories, but I personally would not hesitate to place an order with LW again. Finances are a little tight for me right now so I can't justify spending on more jackets when I already own one LW and a more modern Icon riding jacket, but when cash flow is a bit freer, I'll probably be placing an order for either their J-23 replica or pea coat. Although with those models respectively, I'm also looking at the alternatives of the Insurrection Aero Buco replica, and the Vanson Luftwaffe.

Further regarding Vanson, my family immigrated from England to Fall River, MA in 1838. I was born in Fall River, and lived there for a few years after college. My whole life, I have lived no further than 15 minutes from Fall River, but never got around to visiting their showroom, despite owning examples of their products. Today, I had some time to kill after hitting the gym and needed to replace a set of riding gloves, so I finally decided to swing by, and....

Holy Crap! That place is cool. It's pretty much the entire first floor of a New England mill building full of leather jackets, racing leathers, and accessories!!!! Got to see the Chopper jacket in person, and it's even cooler than in the photos. And speaking of "even _____ than in photos", I saw several jackets in their Octagon hide. Simply put, it's beautiful. If it looks as good as it does brand new, I can only imagine how cool it looks when it's picked up some character after a few years of use. They were out of my size in the glove I wanted, so I placed an order, and I'm looking forward to when it's ready, as much as to have an excuse to visit again and look around some more as I am to pick up the gloves, lol.

Edward

Bartender
I've got one of Stuart's Lost Worlds B3 jackets. Beautiful - can't fault it for quality. The usual wear points have happened on seams after hard wear over the last seven years, but it's still got years of life left in it. I've been sufficiently put off by his website rants that I can't imagine buying anything new from LW (money is also against them. Competitive at source, but once you take into account shipping and import taxes, it mounts up - that's not their fault, of course). I certainly wouldn't fault the wuality of the product from my experience, however.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I think you hold the record for the most jackets accumulated in the shortest period of time lol Be sure to do a review when you get it in!

Can I get an award? :D

Will definitely put up a review along with pleeeenty of pics! There are so very few decent customer pics of this jacket on this forum (the J106 customer pics on this forum are very nice, though. There just aren't that many pics), so it'll be up to me to change that.

Damo

A-List Customer
@ Mendelboaz, something tells me by the time I buy my jacket you'll have bought 3!!! Love it!!!!

So you guys are saying I can't cross Johnson leathers off the list yet??? What's going on??? I'm trying to narrow down my choices!! I'll take another look at them..

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
@ Mendelboaz, something tells me by the time I by my jacket you'll have bought 3!!! Love it!!!!

So you guy are saying I can't cross Johnson leathers off the list yet??? What's going on??? I'm trying to narrow down my choices!! I'll take another look at them..

Alan is really welcoming and easy to work with. Virtually impossible to goof up the fit if you opt for a test jacket (which is an actual jacket, not a cloth mock up) and a very good chance of nailing the fit on the first try without one. A large variety of cow/steerhide leathers to choose from, with the option (an upcharge) to have a particular leather shaved down to a thinner size if you feel a particular leather's too thick. Downside is they don't carry the beautiful Aero horsehide, but you might get lucky with hh if he has any at the shop. I'd give him a call rather than email, it's easier.

Honestly you should flip a five sided coin. ALL of the manufacturers above are top notch. Try to opt for somewhere you can get a fit jacket though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles