Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the clips seem like they're designed to hold key rings.
We're talking about the clips under the flap on the lower pocket on the German police jacket? No, I'm pretty sure those clips are to hang a holster with a pistol. I don't have any photos handy, but I'm sure I've seen this done. German police uniforms post-war were very "civilian" in flavour and part of that was not having a massive utility belt like American (or Canadian) police.

Gamma68

One Too Many
We're talking about the clips under the flap on the lower pocket on the German police jacket? No, I'm pretty sure those clips are to hang a holster with a pistol. I don't have any photos handy, but I'm sure I've seen this done. German police uniforms post-war were very "civilian" in flavour and part of that was not having a massive utility belt like American (or Canadian) police.
I’d like to see photos if possible. Not saying this is incorrect, just can’t quite picture this. A holster hanging outside the pocket?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Okay, here we go (nylon jackets, but same sort of thing). West Berlin police various time periods, all post-war obviously. It should be noted that era of jacket didn't have side slits, so the holster is hung on the outside from the pocket.

2694179_0e4d5b3731_o.jpg 93221990_3f6c7b1bb8_o.jpg 3114796186_db8051a018_o.jpg gettyimages-957234820-1024x1024 - Copy.jpg

And on an unrelated note here's some new police academy graduates...

3647622370_3305b0f671_b.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Here's a Schott jacket up on e-bay right now (nothing to do with me, I'm not promoting it, etc etc). The seller thinks it's a police jacket but he/she's never seen another like it. The buttons and whatnot definitely suggest a police jacket or an homage. Looks like a nice bit of kit.

251.jpg 252.jpg 254.jpg 255.jpg 258.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Here's a Schott jacket up on e-bay right now (nothing to do with me, I'm not promoting it, etc etc). The seller thinks it's a police jacket but he/she's never seen another like it. The buttons and whatnot definitely suggest a police jacket or an homage. Looks like a nice bit of kit.

View attachment 238216 View attachment 238217 View attachment 238218 View attachment 238219 View attachment 238220

The overall design, that peacoat-style, I've only seen on NY PD - it's certainly a very iconic style associate with them. The buttons look like they might be NY City (to the best of my understanding, the New York State police has different buttons for Philly, NYC, New York State, as well as generic 'P' types).

Course, it could also be a non-issue civilian repop of an NYPD jacket, but that wopuld seem an odd thing to repro?

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
The overall design, that peacoat-style, I've only seen on NY PD - it's certainly a very iconic style associate with them. The buttons look like they might be NY City (to the best of my understanding, the New York State police has different buttons for Philly, NYC, New York State, as well as generic 'P' types).

Course, it could also be a non-issue civilian repop of an NYPD jacket, but that wopuld seem an odd thing to repro?
Philly motorcycle police also used to have a 3/4 length leather coat very similar to the NYPD coats. The Philly coats were actually better, more usable, since they had actual pockets on the hips whereas the NYPD coats don't. I don't know if Philly still uses them.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
amazing fit - what a great find!!
Thanks DD. That one is thanks to @Monitor who pointed out the manufacturer. I like the fact that it still is a working jacket of Austrian motorcycle cops - even Arnie Schwarzenegger got himself one when he saw one in action. They show up for sale once in a while in Europe - range from about 100 - 200 euro, sometimes cheaper.

bike police.jpg

austrian bike police.jpg

2004-07-09-blacky-chef-der-weissen-maeuse-ein-portraet.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ Great photos, thanks for posting. Those jackets are nice 'cause they appear to be a reasonable length, unlike US jackets which are usually much shorter like Perfectos. More pics below.

austrian c440cc1ec36a991d7f59eebf91c0e0d4--leather-pants-mens-leather.jpg austrian a3e5b57acb50478067bf8a18609cd3b0.jpg

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Nice finds DD! That last jacket is by Engelbert Vanek, son of Anton Vanek. I like how they added slash pockets. I may get another one, lol!

Edward

Bartender
Philly motorcycle police also used to have a 3/4 length leather coat very similar to the NYPD coats. The Philly coats were actually better, more usable, since they had actual pockets on the hips whereas the NYPD coats don't. I don't know if Philly still uses them.

POssibly - interestingly, Taylor leathers, who make quite a range of police leathers in the US, don't do a Philly one specifically, though they do offer the option of Philly buttons with their NYPD coat - https://taylorsleatherwear.com/coll...e-leather-double-breasted-long-highway-jacket

I can see why they might delete the pockets on a uniform coat, though it is a pity from pov of adopting it for civilian wear... Course, Taylors aren't the only maker of police leathers, but presumably their NYPD model is at least permitted wear in Philly? I don't know whether poice leather over there are issued or PP to a set of guidelines, but Taylors do seem to sell to police. Maybe there's some regulation that prevents them from selling an actual Philly one to civilians. Good quality stuff, though - I accidentally bought a Chicago Taylors on eBay for buttons a year or two ago, and it's an impressive piece of kit.

^ Great photos, thanks for posting. Those jackets are nice 'cause they appear to be a reasonable length, unlike US jackets which are usually much shorter like Perfectos. More pics below.

View attachment 238532 View attachment 238531

I notice the extra length. Too long for my tastes, but I imagine for anyone who rides a lot crouched over the tank, a jacket with a bit more length is attractive (this was certainly a design feature when Lewis reworked the Monzaas the Super Monza in 78).

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
POssibly - interestingly, Taylor leathers, who make quite a range of police leathers in the US, don't do a Philly one specifically, though they do offer the option of Philly buttons with their NYPD coat - https://taylorsleatherwear.com/coll...e-leather-double-breasted-long-highway-jacket

I can see why they might delete the pockets on a uniform coat, though it is a pity from pov of adopting it for civilian wear... Course, Taylors aren't the only maker of police leathers, but presumably their NYPD model is at least permitted wear in Philly? I don't know whether poice leather over there are issued or PP to a set of guidelines, but Taylors do seem to sell to police. Maybe there's some regulation that prevents them from selling an actual Philly one to civilians. Good quality stuff, though - I accidentally bought a Chicago Taylors on eBay for buttons a year or two ago, and it's an impressive piece of kit.
Here's a Philly coat:

philadelphia 61.jpg

Taylors made them until recently. I contacted a Philly police supplier a few years back who sourced them from Taylors and they were happy to sell me a brand new one badge-free but didn't ship internationally (I'm in Canada) so I passed. I should have got someone with a US postal address to receive it and then re-ship it for me, but I'm good at missing opportunities. It would have made a good civvy jacket, like below:

philadelphia Street_Etiquette_Nordstrom_NYFW_Day4_Travis_Gumbs_Waist_Up1.jpg

One thing that's weird is that some Philly motorcycle cops with these jackets seem to have had the skirts chopped off and then shellaced the hell out of them, making the leather gleam and crack. The photo below shows this - the officer in the centre hasn't modified his jacket ; by constrast the officer on the right has shortened the skirts and shellaced his jacket.

philadelphia 171.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Here's a Philly coat:

View attachment 238732

Taylors made them until recently. I contacted a Philly police supplier a few years back who sourced them from Taylors and they were happy to sell me a brand new one badge-free but didn't ship internationally (I'm in Canada) so I passed. I should have got someone with a US postal address to receive it and then re-ship it for me, but I'm good at missing opportunities. It would have made a good civvy jacket, like below:

View attachment 238733

One thing that's weird is that some Philly motorcycle cops with these jackets seem to have had the skirts chopped off and then shellaced the hell out of them, making the leather gleam and crack. The photo below shows this - the officer in the centre hasn't modified his jacket ; by constrast the officer on the right has shortened the skirts and shellaced his jacket.

View attachment 238734

Definitely changes the proportions markedly. I assume that length sits better on a bike, thoughI amsurprised thry're allowed to modify uniform like that.

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
Glad to see this thread revived, because I didn't know it existed!

I've got a couple police jackets. The first is a German steerhide jacket from 1979. Made in Hamburg by Werner Roth KG. It's seriously well-built and has some lovely graining. Anyone know what those brass clip fasteners on the short elastic straps in the lower pocket are meant to hold?

1-jpg.139256

3-jpg.139258

My other police jacket is a Canadian example. Made in Toronto by Outdoor Outfits Ltd., which is still in business. Elastic sides and just the single chest pocket with pen slot. Lined in wool but no interior pocket. Single-button cuffs with storm cuffs inside. Talon zipper also marked LF (for Lightning Fasteners), with a pull on the left-hand (Canadian) side. A single patch removed from each shoulder sleeve. I like the simple, utilitarian design. The design leads me to guess it's from the 1970s.

1-jpg.138580

2-jpg.138581

5-jpg.138584
Pretty sure that's a Canadian postman's jacket!

Gerald Parel

New in Town
Here's a Philly coat:

View attachment 238732

View attachment 238733

View attachment 238734
I own a vintage Philadelphia police coat in horsehide. Gorgeous jacket, very flattering. I have been searching for quite a long time for repro of these jackets (the Philly and NYPD one) in horsehide. Is there any on the market right now?
Hi! Never took the proper time to introduce myself, since I have been only reading pages on this forum and learned way more than I could contribute. Today isn't different. But since it is my first post, the time feels right.
I have been into vintage jackets (or repro) for as long as I could afford my own and usually hunt in thrift shops and flea markets but you know. Internet is now my best chance to keep feeding the beast and each quest leads back to this place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ