Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

Navin323i

Practically Family
Tony No-Toes said:
I found that picture I mentioned earlier. Here's a shot with the nickel plated hardware:

90932198_1.jpg

A little more subdued I think.

After seeing that picture I definitely prefer the brass hardware... it makes the jacket stand out nicely, plus the nickel plated hardware does not match the main zipper in the picture which is brass.

My vote is to keep the jacket with the brass buttons... makes the jacket more unique. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Tony No-Toes said:
Another reason I like this design is it lends itself well to the use of stitched down epaulets. I will be carrying a somewhat heavy leather briefcase (made by Ed Santoro/Walden Bags) and having the heavy HH epaulets will save wear on the should from this rugged bag and won't misshape the shoulder from prolonged carrying during the break-in period (I hope at least)... this may not be an issue at all so please correct me if I'm wrong. I've never had a HH jacket.

That is an EXCELLENT point I never considered... I too carry a heavy briefcase with a strap so the stitched down epaulets will definitely save wear but at the same time provide some added cushioning on my shoulder which does get a bit sore at times after carrying my briefcase for an extended time.

Great point, Tony. :)

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
I read a post here in the FL sometime back and a gentlemen mentioned that one of the shoulders of his HH jacket had become misshapen from wearing his briefcase over it for a long time. He suspected it was because he began wearing his briefcase straight away before the jacket had time to take its natural shape. He seemed like he was unsure if the briefcase wear had caused it but had suspected that was the only thing it was. Seems plausible I suppose.

Maybe some members here can chime in about this...There bound to be a lot of them running around out there with HH jackets and briefcases.

The stitched down epaulets not only thicken this crucial area but reinforce it.

Navin323i

Practically Family
MY JACKET IS DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG... just got news today that my jacket is done and should arrive in my hands next week!!!! I was told 12 week wait and actually it will wind up getting to me around that time.

I'll post up a new thread with plenty of pics when it arrives.

I'm so happy I feel like crying, LOLLL. :D

Windward

Practically Family
Navin323i said:
OMG... just got news today that my jacket is done and should arrive in my hands next week!!!! I was told 12 week wait and actually it will wind up getting to me sooner than that (10 weeks I believe).

I'll post up a new thread with plenty of pics when it arrives.

I'm so happy I feel like crying, LOLLL. :D

Navin - I know exactly how you feel ... its like christmas comin next -
isn't it ?? :)

Dav

One Too Many
Windward said:
That's exactly how I feel, I was told yesterday that my jacket will leave the factory next week, I suddenly feel like a boy again waiting for christmas.
Nick

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Navin323i said:
Actually if you look on other police jackets you'll find that the chest pockets are false too just like what you see on the Aero NYPD jackets... I know because I did a ton of research on these style of jackets.

I can't speak for all the companies, there is one called Taylors Leatherwear, that specializes in police jackets. I'd say Taylors makes about 90% of the police leather jackets in the US. I can tell you their pockets are not just for show. They are functional. The only time I've ever seen a uniform jacket without functioning pockets, was on a dress blouse (Class-A Coat)

The Aero isn't the "optional" NYPD Jacket. It seems to be a combination of several different designs from N.E. US police departments. It actually looks closer to the one Patterson NJ uses. NYPD officers that wear leather jackets, highway patrol, motor, mounted unit, are wearing a 3/4 length double breasted leather jacket, with equipment loops on the outside.

Taylors also features side zippers for access to your belt. They make motor officer jackets, too, with belt loops on the outside of the jacket, instead of the side zippers. Taylors is very reasonable in cost, and will tweak sleeve & body length on jackets that aren't 'stock.' You can choose between gold or silver finish, "P" or "S" buttons. Badge grommets are standard. Nametag grommets are an 'option.' You wont get HH though.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Windward said:

Haha!! Most definitely, my friend. I'm just so beyond happy right now... I feel like giving my 2 little girls a huge hug now even though I can't since I'm at work and they're at kindergarten and daycare. :D

Navin323i

Practically Family
Dav said:
That's exactly how I feel, I was told yesterday that my jacket will leave the factory next week, I suddenly feel like a boy again waiting for christmas.
Nick

Congrats Nick! I look forward to seeing pics of your new jacket! :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
I can't speak for all the companies, there is one called Taylors Leatherwear, that specializes in police jackets. I'd say Taylors makes about 90% of the police leather jackets in the US. I can tell you their pockets are not just for show. They are functional. The only time I've ever seen a uniform jacket without functioning pockets, was on a dress blouse (Class-A Coat)

The Aero isn't the "optional" NYPD Jacket. It seems to be a combination of several different designs from N.E. US police departments. It actually looks closer to the one Patterson NJ uses. NYPD officers that wear leather jackets, highway patrol, motor, mounted unit, are wearing a 3/4 length double breasted leather jacket, with equipment loops on the outside.

Taylors also features side zippers for access to your belt. They make motor officer jackets, too, with belt loops on the outside of the jacket, instead of the side zippers. Taylors is very reasonable in cost, and will tweak sleeve & body length on jackets that aren't 'stock.' You can choose between gold or silver finish, "P" or "S" buttons. Badge grommets are standard. Nametag grommets are an 'option.' You wont get HH though.

Great info! Yes, I'm very familiar with Taylors... definitely a reputable place. You are correct in what you said about Aero's jacket being a combination of various designs... I remember reading on Aero's site that they try and take the best aspects of all the designs for their particular jacket.

Once I post up my thread with pics of my new Aero jacket next week it will be more clear to you and everyone here why I chose the Aero NYPD jacket versus going with any other police jacket. :)

Are you an officer of the law? If so then thanks for serving. :)

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the adding Taylors Leather Wear to my thread...

Lone_Ranger said:

I like these jackets as well and had never heard of this company. I'd like to thank you for posting this info on Taylors in my thread. If people google and locate this thread they may perhaps discover something they didn't know, like Taylors, and once again accurate information about another good company will be disseminated for many years to come. I've found a great deal of information by searching these threads. Again, much appreciated.

If anyone else has another company making good police jackets please post it.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Lone_Ranger said:
Taylors is very reasonable in cost, and will tweak sleeve & body length on jackets that aren't 'stock.' You can choose between gold or silver finish, "P" or "S" buttons. Badge grommets are standard. Nametag grommets are an 'option.' You wont get HH though.

I think johnnyjohnny posted a screaming deal on some closeout Taylor jackets here in TFL a while back. They were closing out the Lynchburg police jacket for around $60, which is a steal.

I believe you are right on Taylor not offering HH. Their leather seems lighter weight than most of the Aeros which are preferred on this site, but the price of a Taylor is correspondingly less.

Tony, I believe Vanson (Fall River, MA) also makes some police jackets (Force, Boston PD, Modesto PD).

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Ace Rimmer said:
I think johnnyjohnny posted a screaming deal on some closeout Taylor jackets here in TFL a while back. They were closing out the Lynchburg police jacket for around $60, which is a steal.

I believe you are right on Taylor not offering HH. Their leather seems lighter weight than most of the Aeros which are preferred on this site, but the price of a Taylor is correspondingly less.

Tony, I believe Vanson (Fall River, MA) also makes some police jackets (Force, Boston PD, Modesto PD).

There's probably a reason that Taylors doesn't do HH. Most police departments wont issue a leather jacket, it's an optional purchase, that the officer would pay. Even the cowhide jackets that Taylors makes are about twice what you would pay for a cloth jacket. The plus is that they last a lot longer. (I've had a Washington DC for 10 years now) It's one of the warmest most comfortable jackets I've owned. But, it weighs about twice as much as one of the high tech Gore-Tex coats.

The exception to a department issue jacket is if the officer is assigned to motors. In which case the jacket is considered 'safety' equipment, and the department may issue. Then again, if it's coming out of department funds, they probably aren't going to fork out for the HH either.

Vanson does do police jackets. Mostly the motor jackets, but I think they make the very uncommon Rhode Island coat.

WinterUniform.jpg

Which would look really cool, but where would you wear it? Without the fur collar, it is close to what NYPD uses.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Well, my jacket arrived at Aeroleather USA today... from what I told it looks absolutely great and should arrive in my hands next tuesday. :)

The only thing that appears to have been missed unfortunately is that they forgot to make my jacket with the bi-swing back even though that was clearly stated in my order all along. :(

In any case I won't let that spoil my mood and I look forward to getting my custom leather jacket next tuesday. :)

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
I look forward to the pics. That's a shame about Aero over looking the bi-swing but maybe it won't matter. A lot of customers seem to be very happy without them. I'd prefer the bi-swing myself as well especially on that particular jacket. We'll see how it works when it gets here. The upside is you have a cleaner looking jacket.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Tony No-Toes said:
I look forward to the pics. That's a shame about Aero over looking the bi-swing but maybe it won't matter. A lot of customers seem to be very happy without them. I'd prefer the bi-swing myself as well especially on that particular jacket. We'll see how it works when it gets here. The upside is you have a cleaner looking jacket.

Thanks Tony! Actually I found out that the shoulder bi-swing isn't really all that functional versus having a full bi-swing that goes from the top of the shoulders to the bottom of the coat... the full bi-swing would give you more flexibility for movement versus a shoulder bi-swing.

I agree though that it'll definitely look cleaner. :)

Got the UPS tracking info now and it'll arrive for sure next tuesday. The wait is going to feel like an eternity now, haha!

Navin323i

Practically Family
Tony No-Toes said:

Hey Tony,

I just found out that the bi-swing back was intentionally left off... reason why is the bi-swing isn't possible on the NYPD jacket because of the epaulettes... with a bi-swing back the epaulettes could not have gone on.

ONE MORE DAY... the jacket finally arrives tomorrow. Since this is my very first horsehide jacket, I can't wait to smell the scent of horsehide... I'm not sure if it smells any different than other leathers like cowhide but I'll find out soon enough. :D

Navin

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
Hey Tony,

I just found out that the bi-swing back was intentionally left off... reason why is the bi-swing isn't possible on the NYPD jacket because of the epaulettes... with a bi-swing back the epaulettes could not have gone on.

wow, I never would have guessed that. Learn something new everyday I guess. Looking forward to seeing how it fits.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Lone_Ranger said:
The exception to a department issue jacket is if the officer is assigned to motors. In which case the jacket is considered 'safety' equipment, and the department may issue.

Speaking of which, I was charged Pennsylvania sales tax on a Vanson motorcycle jacket for that reason. I see you're in Pennsylvania as well so maybe you've encountered something similar. Clothing is normally exempt from sales tax here, but as the jacket was considered safety equipment, the vendor had to charge me sales tax on my Vanson Force! lol I guess Gov. Rendell will get his money from us one way or another!

Edit: to clarify, I am not in law enforcement.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
Police jackets (pics inside)

Hi,
Just to share 2 or 3 of my police jackets:
The first one is a Schott fron NYPD (not sure...). It was made in the late 70's. Maybe this stuff is not rare for american's, but in France I never see a "Perfecto" like this. The waist fit too big, the chest is snug, and the arms are a little bit short... But I like it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points