Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

Navin323i

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
Well, I guess that depends. When you first buy a coat, you have to go through an authorized dealer. So, it depends on the dealer's service. I have a Washington DC, that I bought in 2000. I went through Washington DC Police Supply. When I decided on the DC jacket, I figured they sold enough of them, to know what they were doing, sizing wise. They sent me a measurement form, and I ended up with a size 46, with 1" added to each sleeve. It fit great.

I did have direct contact with Taylor's a few times.

When I first got the jacket, I found out that the wrong size buttons were on the pockets. I emailed, and they sent the proper buttons, and didn't charge me. When I sent the jacket in, to have my patch sewed on. I sent them a check for the sewing, and return postage, and they didn't charge me for sewing the patch.

Years later, I switched departments, and because the first patch was bigger, I was afraid the needle holes would make it look bad. So, they replaced the sleeve panel, and did it for way less than I thought it would cost. And again, didn't charge me to sew the patches on.

I'd say they are pretty decent to deal with!

Good morning, David. Do you have pictures you can post of your Washington DC jacket? That's good to know there's a police supply store in my area here (Washington DC Police Supply). :)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I'll see if I can take some pictures, soon. Busy weekend, Probably won't get to it til Monday.

You have two. F&F and A Jacobs & Son's, in Baltimore, and Washington Police Supply.

US Park Police Mounted Unit, wearing the "Patterson" jacket. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bullneck/4158280614/
Or it may be the "Newark" It looks like it may have, reflective pull-down panels, above the chest pockets, I can't tell from that picture.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
I'll see if I can take some pictures, soon. Busy weekend, Probably won't get to it til Monday.

You have two. F&F and A Jacobs & Son's, in Baltimore, and Washington Police Supply.

US Park Police Mounted Unit, wearing the "Patterson" jacket. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bullneck/4158280614/
Or it may be the "Newark" It looks like it may have, reflective pull-down panels, above the chest pockets, I can't tell from that picture.

Thanks David! On a separate note, today I had the distinct honor of meeting the chief of police of NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) where my wife had her recent car accident and I basically thanked him and his entire staff for caring so nicely for my wife and I during that traumatic time. Not only did I wear my Aero police jacket there but I also wore my "Maryland Fallen Police Officers" shirt and showed him the picture of my police chief grandfather... he was so touched by my respect for their line of work that he invited me back anytime to visit... I work for the same federal agency that NIST is under so I technically can visit anytime because of my badge, however his invitation means a LOT to me. Just thought I'd share this nice story with you and the folks here. :)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
TaylorsJacket001.jpg

Front. I have badge tab, and optional nameplate tab.

TaylorsJacket002.jpg

Back

TaylorsJacket003.jpg

Closer view of the side zippers

I bought it in spring of 2000, so, it's got ten years of wear. The only real wear you can see is a rough spot in the left arm just above the elbow. I'm not sure what caused it. Oddly enough, that is the section they replaced, and should be newer leather than the rest of the coat. The only thing I can think of, is they used imported leather for the repair, and not the domestic cow used for the rest of the jacket.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
gyro, great stuff. I especially like the extendable badge holder (?) on the German jacket. It seems like a much more elegant solution than the badge grommets featured in Vanson Force jacket.

For you folks looking at Taylors, you may want to check their ebay Store. A while back JohnnyJohnny posted a screaming deal on a discontinued Taylor (Lynchburg?) jacket. They were selling them new for a mere $50. :eek: I haven't been keeping up with Taylor's eBay listings but if they regularly close out models then eBay would be the best way to get into a Taylor at a good price.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
TaylorsJacket001.jpg

Front. I have badge tab, and optional nameplate tab.

TaylorsJacket002.jpg

Back

TaylorsJacket003.jpg

Closer view of the side zippers

I bought it in spring of 2000, so, it's got ten years of wear. The only real wear you can see is a rough spot in the left arm just above the elbow. I'm not sure what caused it. Oddly enough, that is the section they replaced, and should be newer leather than the rest of the coat. The only thing I can think of, is they used imported leather for the repair, and not the domestic cow used for the rest of the jacket.

Beautiful jacket, David! Enjoy it in good health, my friend. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Ace Rimmer said:
gyro, great stuff. I especially like the extendable badge holder (?) on the German jacket. It seems like a much more elegant solution than the badge grommets featured in Vanson Force jacket.

For you folks looking at Taylors, you may want to check their ebay Store. A while back JohnnyJohnny posted a screaming deal on a discontinued Taylor (Lynchburg?) jacket. They were selling them new for a mere $50. :eek: I haven't been keeping up with Taylor's eBay listings but if they regularly close out models then eBay would be the best way to get into a Taylor at a good price.

Wow! $50 for a Taylors leather jacket is just insane! Thanks for the good advice about checking their eBay store. :)

Parkpiper

New in Town
The 3/4 length police jackets look nice but are not that practical for duty wear. The zippered sides only give you access to your deadly force option and your radio. Waist length "Ike" jackets allow officers access to everything on their duty belts. Might be why you can usually find surplus 3/4 length jackets easier than their shorter counterparts.

Windward

Practically Family
Great Jacket!!

Papa M - its a real cool jacket which reminds me of my Windward jackets just without the corded effects and a Highwayman style waistband.
Any opinions about the sheepskin lining especially how does it wear -
Any pics about the fit ??
Thanks Windward

Papa M

A-List Customer
Windward said:
Any opinions about the sheepskin lining especially how does it wear -
Any pics about the fit ??

The sheepskin is beautifully luxuriant. I don't know how it will wear because I hardly wear this jacket.

The leather (very slightly blue) is incredibly soft - even though it is a heavy tough jacket.

I'll sort out some pics showing the fit later.

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi guys,
Nice thread and I would like to share some pictures of my police jacket. The jacket is made bu Trio Leder (Trio Leathers) in Holland, a company who does not longer exist. They made jackets on order for some police districts. Most of the short leather type jackets where provided bij the national police warehouse. The leather is supple and heavy. No distinctive leather smell, just an heavy duty jacket. I've been wearing it for at least ten years, but is now just hanging in my closet sadly enough... :eusa_booh
Still has the old type badge and patches and the wistle on the chain.

Hope you like the pics.
Andy

IMG00062.jpg

IMG00063.jpg

IMG00064.jpg

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Parkpiper said:
The 3/4 length police jackets look nice but are not that practical for duty wear. The zippered sides only give you access to your deadly force option and your radio. Waist length "Ike" jackets allow officers access to everything on their duty belts. Might be why you can usually find surplus 3/4 length jackets easier than their shorter counterparts.

The 3/4 length coats, that NYPD & Rhode Island SP uses, have equipment loops/keepers on the outside of the jacket. It's designed to wear your duty belt on the outside of the coat.

WinterUniform.jpg

The German double-breasted 3/4 length coats, had a false lower right front pocket, that allowed for side arm access.

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
Lone_Ranger said:
The German double-breasted 3/4 length coats, had a false lower right front pocket, that allowed for side arm access.

I wish more companies would feature that as an option. As a teenager I had a black US Army raincoat that had pass-through pockets. In the winter it was great not to have to open up one's coat to get to one's wallet or keys; just reach through the pass through and you're set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana