Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
This one is a german police jacket, maybe from 80's. (collar shape seem's 70's).
The photos aren't very good but it's an outstanding jacket. I never see a better construction with the sense of détail:

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
I owned this one , but I sold it cause it didn't fit me.
I suppose it's a french gendarme (or maybe italian carabinier) motorcycling jacket.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nice jackets!

Do you have one from the Chicago Police Department? That's the Holy Grail.;)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Tomasso said:

Are Chicago Police Dept jackets considered amongst the top of U.S. police jackets? If so I wasn't aware of that. :)

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Navin323i said:
Are Chicago Police Dept jackets considered amongst the top of U.S. police jackets? If so I wasn't aware of that. :)

The Chicago ones are flashy. Big "P" (police) buttons down the front. Plus, they are one of the few departments, that still wear a leather jacket for regular uniform officers.

http://www.taylorsleatherwear.com/catalog_pages/4450_leather_coat.htm

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184
(I would suggest that they are wrong about it being manufactured by the Kale Uniform Company. Kale Uniform, is a uniform supply store, in Chicago. They don't MAKE the jacket. They sell it. I think it is a Taylor's Leatherwear Jacket, with a Kale Uniforms tag on it)

If you're actually wearing it on-duty, I would recommend the Milwaukee. It's the same as the Chicago, except that it has side zippers, and a removable lining.

Parkpiper

New in Town
Leather Jackets for Mounted Officers

I don't know about the rest of the country but several police departments in the area issue leather jackets to their horse mounted officers also. Most look to be similar to the waist length motor officer style but I know of one department that issues a 3/4 length version to the the mounted unit. I have seen officers in both a brown and black version. If I run into one out on the trail again I will see what I can find out.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
The Chicago ones are flashy. Big "P" (police) buttons down the front. Plus, they are one of the few departments, that still wear a leather jacket for regular uniform officers.

http://www.taylorsleatherwear.com/catalog_pages/4450_leather_coat.htm

http://www.filmjackets.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184
(I would suggest that they are wrong about it being manufactured by the Kale Uniform Company. Kale Uniform, is a uniform supply store, in Chicago. They don't MAKE the jacket. They sell it. I think it is a Taylor's Leatherwear Jacket, with a Kale Uniforms tag on it)

If you're actually wearing it on-duty, I would recommend the Milwaukee. It's the same as the Chicago, except that it has side zippers, and a removable lining.

Do you have to be a member of a police department to purchase the police style jackets from either Taylors or Kale, or can civilians purchase them too?

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I would say, as long as you are not putting shoulder patches, or wearing a badge with it, a civilian can buy one. Stay away from badges or patches, that say "police" or "sheriff!" I don't see why the jacket itself with no badges or patches would be a problem.

I'm not sure about Kale Uniform, since they cater to Chicago PD, they may sell them with the patches already mounted. (with the Chicago jacket, you could probably get away with the Chicago City Flag, on the right shoulder, as long as you take the Chicago PD patch off the left shoulder. And you don't actually live in Chicago)

Parkpiper, the 3/4 length jacket, is probably a Taylor's jacket, too. It's either the "NYPD", used by the NYPD mounted unit, and the NYPD Highway Patrol, or a Patterson. The US Park Police uses a Patterson.

http://www.taylorsleatherwear.com/taylors_leatherwear_catalog.htm

Taylor's sells through authorized dealers, check your state, or the on-line dealer list.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
Tomasso said:

For me the holly grail is the one that fit me the best ;)

Thanks to everybody for your interest.
Here the pics of the last one I bought. It's a Deutch police jacket of the 80's (I think).
If one of you recognize one of this jacket and have better informations about them I 'll be glad to learn more about my jackets.:fing28:
Beautifull jacket, Navin...:)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Lone_Ranger said:
(with the Chicago jacket, you could probably get away with the Chicago City Flag, on the right shoulder, as long as you take the Chicago PD patch off the left shoulder. And you don't actually live in Chicago)
If you don't live in Chicago you can wear the CPD patch. I've seen them worn so in NY, LA and Europe.

They're popular with rockers, actors and hipster wannabees for some reason.
It may stem from the '68 Democratic Convention riots in Chicago; Co-opting the Man's jacket.

Who could forget Ackroyd wearing one at Belushi's funeral.

a2931d80.jpg

Navin323i

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
I would say, as long as you are not putting shoulder patches, or wearing a badge with it, a civilian can buy one. Stay away from badges or patches, that say "police" or "sheriff!" I don't see why the jacket itself with no badges or patches would be a problem.

I'm not sure about Kale Uniform, since they cater to Chicago PD, they may sell them with the patches already mounted. (with the Chicago jacket, you could probably get away with the Chicago City Flag, on the right shoulder, as long as you take the Chicago PD patch off the left shoulder. And you don't actually live in Chicago)

Parkpiper, the 3/4 length jacket, is probably a Taylor's jacket, too. It's either the "NYPD", used by the NYPD mounted unit, and the NYPD Highway Patrol, or a Patterson. The US Park Police uses a Patterson.

http://www.taylorsleatherwear.com/taylors_leatherwear_catalog.htm

Taylor's sells through authorized dealers, check your state, or the on-line dealer list.

Yeah, if and when I decide to get a 2nd police leather jacket (right now I'm extremely happy with my Aero NYPD jacket so I may just stick with that one only) I would prefer to get one with no patches or badges on it... in fact with my Aero jacket I explicitly asked Aero to not include the badge grommets on the front of the jacket mainly because I had no intention of ever using the grommets to put any sort of badge on it. :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
gyrobroyeur said:

Thank you so much, my friend. I wish that my grandfather and I could have met each other (he died 3 years before I was born back in '73) so he could have seen the jacket, but I'm sure he's with me always in spirit. :)

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
I like to wear real or repro military or police jackets. But I'm a civil, and I don't imagine to wear patches or badges on them (except maybe a WWII military patche, cause I'm not old enought to be accused to try to be a false vet.) I don't imagine to wear a full military uniform. I like this jackets cause they have something more than what you buy in a mall, but it have to be a discrete part of the total look. I try to look stilish, not disguised... lol

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
gyrobroyeur said:
For me the holly grail is the one that fit me the best ;)

Thanks to everybody for your interest.
Here the pics of the last one I bought. It's a Deutch police jacket of the 80's (I think).
If one of you recognize one of this jacket and have better informations about them I 'll be glad to learn more about my jackets.:fing28:

Did you mean Dutch, or Deutsch? ;) I always liked the German jackets. The German police used jackets like that up until their recent switch in uniforms. (from green, to blue) I always wanted one. They also had a waist length coat, that zipped up, and had "POLIZEI" across the back in white reflective lettering.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
Lone_Ranger said:
Did you mean Dutch, or Deutsch? ;) I always liked the German jackets. The German police used jackets like that up until their recent switch in uniforms. (from green, to blue) I always wanted one. They also had a waist length coat, that zipped up, and had "POLIZEI" across the back in white reflective lettering.

Sorry, you are right: I made a mistake: the last one is a Dutch Jacket (From Holland...:eusa_doh: )
The second one is a German jacket. (my favourite).
If you can find one of this, go ahead... It's a fantastic jacket made in a heavy leather. Just to give you an idea of how good the craftmanship is: in the liner, verticaly and on both sides, there is one zip of 15 centimeter. When you open them, you have acces to the entire space beetwen the liner and the hide, and you can see all the seams. You can see that the buttons stands with rings like key holders (you can put them off and change them in 5 minutes easily), You can see that the badge and holster holder is sewn on a fabric stripe that goes till the shoulder for not disforming the leather with the weight...
My only regreat is the collar: too big, too 70's...
The dutch is in the same spirit, it's a well made jacket, but one notch below...

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
kyboots said:
Lone: that is a great web site ( Taylor ). How good and reliable are they? John

Well, I guess that depends. When you first buy a coat, you have to go through an authorized dealer. So, it depends on the dealer's service. I have a Washington DC, that I bought in 2000. I went through Washington DC Police Supply. When I decided on the DC jacket, I figured they sold enough of them, to know what they were doing, sizing wise. They sent me a measurement form, and I ended up with a size 46, with 1" added to each sleeve. It fit great.

I did have direct contact with Taylor's a few times.

When I first got the jacket, I found out that the wrong size buttons were on the pockets. I emailed, and they sent the proper buttons, and didn't charge me. When I sent the jacket in, to have my patch sewed on. I sent them a check for the sewing, and return postage, and they didn't charge me for sewing the patch.

Years later, I switched departments, and because the first patch was bigger, I was afraid the needle holes would make it look bad. So, they replaced the sleeve panel, and did it for way less than I thought it would cost. And again, didn't charge me to sew the patches on.

I'd say they are pretty decent to deal with!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21