Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Does it say Cal Leather inside ? I have a nearly identical one in the classifieds but no name inside and black. Seems a lot of them didnt have the maker tags inside.

strokes1251

Practically Family
No it doesn't. i messaged Cal Leathers about getting a Mouton Leather and the tag restitched and they said Yes since the jacket is an authentic Cal Leathers. I would message them and check with them if yours is an authentic Cal Leathers jacket :)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Yes, everybody I've known who've worn CPD jackets got them off Nate's pre-owned rack or at vintage shops in Chicago.
Does anyone know where Nate's stands now? I was looking at the Nate's website today for the first time in several years and they seem to have little mention of the police leather jackets, plus they don't seem to have a section on refurbished used jackets anymore.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Doctor Damage said:
Does anyone know where Nate's stands now? I was looking at the Nate's website today for the first time in several years and they seem to have little mention of the police leather jackets, plus they don't seem to have a section on refurbished used jackets anymore.
I saw one of Nate's jackets on e-Bay recently, brand new, and it didn't look very good. I notice that Taylor's, another maker of CPD jackets, misses on some of the details. Second-hand ones show up on e-Bay quite often, but they're usually knocked to pieces or close to it. Oh well, a man's gotta have his dreams, right?

Anyways, here's an awesome photo of an NYPD officer:

Last edited:

eggleman

One of the Regulars
I saw one of Nate's jackets on e-Bay recently, brand new, and it didn't look very good. I notice that Taylor's, another maker of CPD jackets, misses on some of the details. Second-hand ones show up on e-Bay quite often, but they're usually knocked to pieces or close to it. Oh well, a man's gotta have his dreams, right?

Anyways, here's an awesome photo of an NYPD officer:

Great photo !

He's looking cool ... and he knows it !

Edward

Bartender
The utility belt looks a bit off to me... but yes, looks great otherwise. Wish the police here were moving towards uniforms like that instead of the polo-shirt type stuff that makes them look more like event security than real polis... Cracking jacket. I've oved away from peacoats in recent years, but for casual kicking aorund in the Winter when I'm not in a sheepskin, one of those could be very tempting...

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
When I was in NYC in the late 1980s on vacation, twice, before the Giuliani 'clean up', both times I saw beat cops standing around on corners looking relaxed like that fellow in the photo. Leather jackets, peaked caps shoved back on the head or at an angle, hands in pockets or leaning against a building holding it up. None seemed to have the slightest interest in what the citizenry were doing around them. No wonder NYC was a hive of crime in the 70s and 80s! I agree with Edward about the trend towards cargo pants and polar fleece jackets; I remember reading that the out-for-a-morning-jog uniforms started with the LAPD and spread from there.

IXL

One Too Many
The utility belt looks a bit off to me... but yes, looks great otherwise. Wish the police here were moving towards uniforms like that instead of the polo-shirt type stuff that makes them look more like event security than real polis... Cracking jacket. I've oved away from peacoats in recent years, but for casual kicking aorund in the Winter when I'm not in a sheepskin, one of those could be very tempting...

I just hate a mix of leather and nylon gear on a duty belt but sometimes it can't be avoided. I pretty much live in cargo pants: One does stand out a little bit when attending a rodeo, though.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I have been considering one of the CPD jackets and I spoke to one of the product people at Taylors Leatherwear. He said their jackets are now made in Pakistan, none are made in the USA. That goes against some of the info in their PDF catalogue which suggests two lines of clothing, one still made in the USA. He also said they only do letter sizing now (S, M, L, etc.). I think their website is hopelessly out of date. He was able to confirm that the sleeves are cut straight like a shirt sleeve, not curved.

Anyways, there's a place in Toronto which makes similar jackets, so I will check them out this Friday.

Edward

Bartender
Pakistan has long been a source of leather jackets for the UK market. As a result, a lot of the wholesale/retail end of those is run by folks from that part of thw eorld originally too. I've owned one or two in my time; some of them can be pretty nice. Not by any means Aero standard, but then you're not paying high end money either. Serviceable for GBP100 kind of money. Depends what you want, really. Back in the 90s I had a black Pakistan made leather jacket that was in a vaguely Highwayman style. Not as classy a pattern, lacked the same level of detailing, but it was a perfectly acceptable jacket for kicking about in. The only real flaw was the labelling.... the cleaning instructions were pretty comical. Read like they'd been through Babelfish translator and back several times.... but hey, my Urdu's non-existent so I'm not going to complain on that score. Seems inevitable that you're going to see police uniforms and the likes made in other parts of the world where labour is cheaper; everybody loves the idea of buying American / British / w.h.y. until they see the bill. I believe the Police Service of Northern Ireland's uniform caps now have the components made in the UK, which are then sent to the Czech Republic to be assembled, and shipped back to the UK.... because it's cheaper than doing the whole lot "at home". Funny old world!

Tempted by the NYPD jacket.... I have a German equivalent at home which I must sell (lovely fit on me with just a shirt, but it's something I'd really want to get a sweater under). Maybe one day I'll look into the NY version. Ideally, I'd go looking for a used police-surplus one in good nick (to keep the price down rather than any notion of authenticity - it's the style of the jacket I like rather than having an interest in its uniform function).

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^

I have never minded "foreign" made stuff, since some of it can be as well made (or better) than local stuff. I understand why Taylors might make a change to keep pricing competitive, esp in a world in which police forces don't buy leather jackets except for motorcycle cops. Now it's all high-tech fabrics, etc. The leather jackets used to be ubiquitous in the CPD but no longer. So Taylors must struggle to sell jackets and making them outside the US would keep prices down. What really bugs me, however, is the change from a shaped or slightly shaped sleeve (think suit jacket) to a straight sleeve (think A-2 jacket). I have enough photos of old and new jackets to know this change is real and not just my imagination, lol It's another cost saving measure since a straight tube sleeve is easier to make. Anyways, it's not just Taylors, it's everyone.

I like those NYPD jackets too, but it's not something I could wear! I see those regularly on e-Bay so keep your eyes open. Usually banged around, though. Philadelphia also uses them, with silver buttons instead of gold:

Last edited:

ksozay

One Too Many
Make sure you check out the LAPD at Cal-Leathers. Great jacket and has been around since '45. I've been purchasing a number of jackets through them lately and it's great to still find handmade in the US jackets.

Edward

Bartender
I've never cared for tie-sides on leather, but I am increasingly taken with their LAPD design. What kind of scratch is in them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari