Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

ksozay

One Too Many
Used you can still get for a decent price but that won't last long. These handmade Horsehide jackets are age incredibly well. Most have belts to you don't need the side gussets. I've been trying to buy everything in my size. I recently purchased a brand new one and it was retail at $1500, custom fit to me.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Used you can still get for a decent price but that won't last long. These handmade Horsehide jackets are age incredibly well. Most have belts to you don't need the side gussets. I've been trying to buy everything in my size. I recently purchased a brand new one and it was retail at $1500, custom fit to me.

Come on man, come clean with us... what's your relationship with the company? Telling us all that prices are about to skyrocket while you sell their stuff on your eBay page, and making it clear there that you ARE the company or their Agent.

Last edited:

ksozay

One Too Many
Hey PG,

Happy to clear up the mystery.

1. After purchasing 13 used Cal jackets from various sites (eBay/CL, etc.) I contacted the company to learn more about them.
2. Rin Tanaka mentioned that in his discussions with collectors, the LAPD style jackets were the next wave of highly collectible jackets. True or not? No idea, but sharing with people that care.
3. In my collection of Cal jackets, the used pricing has started to move upwards. Whether this is an overall bump in the industry, the time of year, or the start of the above coming true, it's just data that you can choose to care about or ignore.
2. Like you and many others on this forum, I was surprised to find their website and other social media sites a bit challenging to navigate and get the information I was looking for.
3. I contacted the company and over the course of working with Gwen, decided I would do whatever I could to help these guys.
4. I love the company, what they stand for, the people that own it, and their history.
5. While my work with Cal is and should remain between the company and I - allow me to clarify for you - I donate my time and my work for free.
6. Because Cal does not have a history with eBay, they have not yet been granted an amount to sell that would be sufficient to post products at their prices, so I am using my account to help until they've sold a few products under their account and the selling limit has been raised.
7. Like you and Insurrection, Aero, etc. when I discover a product I love, I go all in. Especially when genuinely good people make a genuinely great product that just need some help getting said product out there. It was MY choice to donate my time and energy. Period. I read your posts, make no assumptions, and move on.
8. I now have close to 20 of their jackets. Whenever I buy one or have one made, I try and pass along any information, savings, opportunities, etc. to other forum members here. I do this because I am trying to help other members on this forum who are interested in Cal products. When others on the forum do the same for Johnson, Aero, etc. I appreciate the opportunity to opt in or ignore.
9. I don't need or want their money. This is not intended to be a boastful statement but a factual one. I believe in what Gwen and Ira are trying to do and I will support them in whatever way my time and ability allows.

Cool enough for you?

KS

pawineguy

One Too Many
Yes, that's cool. But if you don't understand that not stating up front that you were working directly with them, as their agent, paid or not, is a problem, then we'll have to just agree to disagree.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Understand that I like their jackets, think it's great that another heritage brand was getting some attention, etc... (as I stated on your thread) - but what was I supposed to think when I'm searching eBay for Cal-Leathers, and you pop up as the agent selling their goods? If you had just disclosed the arrangement and your motives, then you wouldn't be back tracking now to explain yourself.

Oooo...grey areas make for red flags.
Kind of like our old "friend" (loosely) Drifter Productions.

-agreed that I like disclosures.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Oooo...grey areas make for red flags.
Kind of like our old "friend" (loosely) Drifter Productions.

-agreed that I like disclosures.

Exactly. If he had disclosed I would have loved for them to get (and still get) MORE exposure... link to the two eBay pages, tell us what they are selling, make it easy for us to know how to buy. I just ordered a T-shirt that I will proudly wear on my bike to help advertise them in PA. I would have ordered two but it was only set up to take one item and now shows sold out. If that's fixed I'll order another one.

Well, truth be told, I am certain that to a casual lurker, this entire sub-forum may appear like an Aero front (and that's without the Thruston threads) how passionate we are about the company and their wares, so I don't think Ksozay crossed the line - at least I never got the impression he's shilling for Cal Leathers. The man bought their jacket, which is a superb jacket I want to see more of, and got enamored with the company. :)

Just sayin'.

ksozay

One Too Many
Pawnie,

I've honestly always looked to your posts and your input on this forum as genuinely helpful and informative. And, I've always gravitated to your posts because you seem to have a very similar passion for leather jackets and the number you purchase. The question you asked is the right question to ask. You are doing the right thing by looking out for this forum and the members that use it.

I was just surprised by your ending statement of "not cool" - which, to me, felt like you were implying a negative without getting the story first.

I am "backtracking" to answer your question. As I am not a paid employee nor being paid for any work, I didn't believe there was anything to hide and thus backtrack on, in the first place. That said, it's completely fair to ask that people clarify their affiliation with a company to prevent anyone from rushing to an inaccurate conclusion. Yep, you are completely correct. If I were in your shoes, I would have been wondering the same thing.

Take care,

KS

ksozay

One Too Many
Apologies, not well versed on all things related to selling on eBay so didn't know how to list one item with multiple options so it wouldn't end right away. I will try and fix this. I have 5 of these shirts, and actually like them. I hope you do as well. :)

pawineguy

One Too Many
Pawnie,

I've honestly always looked to your posts and your input on this forum as genuinely helpful and informative. And, I've always gravitated to your posts because you seem to have a very similar passion for leather jackets and the number you purchase. The question you asked is the right question to ask. You are doing the right thing by looking out for this forum and the members that use it.

I was just surprised by your ending statement of "not cool" - which, to me, felt like you were implying a negative without getting the story first.

I am "backtracking" to answer your question. As I am not a paid employee nor being paid for any work, I didn't believe there was anything to hide and thus backtrack on, in the first place. That said, it's completely fair to ask that people clarify their affiliation with a company to prevent anyone from rushing to an inaccurate conclusion. Yep, you are completely correct. If I were in your shoes, I would have been wondering the same thing.

Take care,

KS

I agree and I'm going to edit that post. I was not happy last night when I saw the similarity of the two user names. (no, I was ******) But, I should have waited and gotten the explanation, and perhaps done it via PM. I do look out for the board as I love talking about and sharing our jackets, and as I stated, I REALLY like when "forgotten" companies who are still making great jackets after decades are brought to our attention. That is why I was on eBay... I was looking at them and have added them to the list of companies who I regularly look for on there for interesting jackets to buy. As I noted on the thread, I have ordered a t-shirt to proudly wear until I find a jacket from them that jumps out at me.

ksozay

One Too Many
Okay, back up. I think I fixed it. Sorry about that.

PG, you just made Gwen's day. She is super excited someone ordered a shirt. Thank you.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Apologies, not well versed on all things related to selling on eBay so didn't know how to list one item with multiple options so it wouldn't end right away. I will try and fix this. I have 5 of these shirts, and actually like them. I hope you do as well. :)

No worries, I will order when it pops back up... I think there is something on there about putting in a quantity, but I've never sold more than one of anything so I have no idea.

ksozay

One Too Many
No worries, I will order when it pops back up... I think there is something on there about putting in a quantity, but I've never sold more than one of anything so I have no idea.
Just a quick THANK YOU to Pawnie for purchasing two Cal t-shirts! Completely made the owner's day and she is already dealing with people not realizing they are still around so this was a huge present to her. Pawnie, to express her appreciation she is adding a small token of thanks and will get these out to you first thing when the post office opens.

Deeply appreciated and just want to acknowledge the gesture by Pawnie. Certainly not expected but really valued. Thank you.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Just a quick THANK YOU to Pawnie for purchasing two Cal t-shirts! Completely made the owner's day and she is already dealing with people not realizing they are still around so this was a huge present to her. Pawnie, to express her appreciation she is adding a small token of thanks and will get these out to you first thing when the post office opens.

Deeply appreciated and just want to acknowledge the gesture by Pawnie. Certainly not expected but really valued. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to wearing them on my rides through New Hope, PA, where there are literally hundreds of bikers cruising around on weekends. There's nothing I like better than supporting small, artisanal, family companies. They are definitely a company to watch and as I always say, the more options the better!

ksozay

One Too Many
Big thank you to all the folks that have been purchasing t-shirts! Really appreciate the support on this forum and the great people that comprise it. Its meant the world to Gwen and Cal! If anyone else has interest in a shirt, please let me know. I didn't want to link to the ebay page for the shirts on here as it didn't seem like the right etiquette.

Edward

Bartender
Are Cal-Leathers exclusively US-based? Do they have sotckists on the East Coast? Hoping to make it back to the US in the next couple of years (if and when the pound recovers!), but I'm unlikely to be as far West as California, alas. When I do get out there, it'd be nice to be able to buy a relatively big-ticket item that is US-made and markedly cheaper to buy in the US than from the UK.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925