Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
Who makes horsehide police jackets?

I saw this on Ebay and thought it would make a neat jacket, minus the badge holder of course. Most police jackets are short motorcycle type cuts which I have no interest in but this seems to be a good length. Neither Taylor, San Diego leather or Branded have anything like this.

Last edited:

Tadite

Familiar Face
That's a great jacket. I've been thinking along those lines myself but haven't taken the plunge. To difficult to find quality and fit was often ignored.

In terms of modern jackets. Lost Worlds makes a version very similar to that. Aero does as well even though it's a different style. Historically it could be a long-list of long-gone companies practically if you're looking at horsehide.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Johnson Leathers here in San Francisco

supplies leather jackets to a number of local police departments, and does custom one-off jackets for customers as well. They've done work for me in the past, including a custom Hercules car coat, and I've always been very happy with their work. Nice folks, too. Worth a look, I think.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
70.jpg
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/Hudson+Police+Coat/id/18/cat_id/18/prod_id/70/

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Andy Richards -- That is a beautiful jacket, and is one of the best photography jobs on a black leather jacket I have ever seen! I love the badges and insignia.

Hey "Bro," was trying to get in touch with you, but I can't seem to send you a message, maybe I am too new on here, or vice versea.

Could you please send me some contact info or post it here?

Traut

Familiar Face
Question for you. I saw a Langlitz police that was priced close to $2,000. It was very similar to my Aero other than two major details that I liked. 1) it had buckles rather than the Aero CHIPs laces and 2) there were no belt keepers on the waistband. I really liked the cleaner look without the belt keepers. I'm thinking of having them removed on my Aero. Do you think that is a better look? Thanks.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Do you have one from the Chicago Police Department? That's the Holy Grail.;)

Are Chicago Police Dept jackets considered amongst the top of U.S. police jackets? If so I wasn't aware of that. :)

Who? Who considers the CPD a "holy grail"? And what makes it such?

The jacket that I have is essentially the same one that the California Highway Patrol, and just about every Northern California police agency, uses.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Golden Bear Sportswear-Leather
200 Potrero Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94103-4815
(415) 863-6171 ‎
customerservice@goldenbearsportswear.com
goldenbearsportswear.com

Some items are made overseas, others in their own factory in SF. Some items are sold with their own branded label, others are items manufactured for sale with other companies' labels on them. When I go to their warehouse, I can see that they manufacture different grades of quality, and that they manufacture for everyone from law enforcement agencies, to major department stores, to mall stores, and discounters. There are jackets with the much coveted single piece back, as well as jackets sewn together from many small pieces of scrap leather. The local police agencies usually alternate their bid between Golden Bear Sportswear and Johnson Leathers. The website does not offer web sales. I guess you could call them to inquire about phone orders and shipping.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Are CPD Jackets really as valuable as someone said?

I doubt it. Only one person said it. That particular cut and style is used by other agencies also. Not just the CPD. I'm sure that over a thousand are made and issued each year. And they keep making and issuing them.

It's only valuable to the guy who wants one, but can't have one. Otherwise, it's just retail value, minus wear and tear.

mihai

A-List Customer
My 50s Police jacket

Hi everybody,

I recently purchased for a nice price what appears to be a 50s Police jacket in pretty good state. It has all the features of a genuine CHIPS jacket (see Aero or LW) Leather is still supple, absolutely no dry, cracked areas. It's very likely horsehide judging after creases aspect, weight, density. As the real size looks like a 44 short(although I am a 46 I can wear it in a classic fit, though is 1 inch shorter than what I usually wear). You can see the actual pictures here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23075147816...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_8592wt_1396

On the outside was a bit dirty but on the inside it was in remarkably good shape. The lining, the pockets are clean and no rip. The pictures show it dirtier than it actually was. I guess due to some reflections. I took the dust from it with a moist cloth and then cleaned it with Armor-all leather wet-wipes. Not it looks much better.

Now, in one of the 2 exterior front pockets I found 2 small cardboard pieces(like from a small thin matches box) from a product called "King of Passion" described as "stimulates vision and performance" manufactured by a certain N.S.L. limited "produced in Korea and further processed in USA". Has anyone an idea what is about, some kind of "enhancer" :) ? Besides it I found what appears to be tobacco (cut fine like from a cigarette).

Overall I like it a lot, I plan to keep it in my collection. Piece of history.

PS: on the inner lining near top of collar is written Mike S. I wonder which actor could have been this one? As the jacket seems to have been used as outfit by WB.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
I love those old police jackets--especially old police motorcycle jackets. Yes, it does look like HH. Do yourself and the jacket a favor and use only Pecard to condition the leather. Every time a thread is started on this subject, there is a lot of conflicting information and conflicting opinions. But if Pecard is good enough for the Smithsonian to use on its vintage jackets, I think it ought to be good for us mortals as well.

A nice find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner